What do I do if I can't lower the action any lower?

This is an SG copy with a glue on neck. The bridge piece won't go any lower. Is there anything I can do to make it go lower?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
since shimming the neck isn't an option probably not. a different bridge maybe. why do you need the action lower than the bridge can go?
You could file out the saddles too, but that might be a pro job. A smaller/lower replacement bridge would probably be easier.

Either that or you have an excellent slide guitar
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by monwobobbo
since shimming the neck isn't an option probably not. a different bridge maybe. why do you need the action lower than the bridge can go?

Better playability.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
How straight is your neck?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Clay-man
Better playability.

to general of a term. perhaps a good setup is what you really need. i guess i'm having a hard time imagining having the bridge all the way down and not having tha action low enough. sure back in the 60s the cheapie japanese made guitars (as well as cheape US) had really high action and even when the bridge was lowered all the way it still sucked. these days i can't really think of a guitar that would be like that. pics might help
Sounds like one of those situations where the neck angle of the guitar isn't steep enough for the TOM bridge, causing the bridge to bottom out on the face of the guitar. Unfortunately the nature of the problem means there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. I'd sell the guitar and buy a new one that works properly.

The last guitar I've seen having this problem was a Charvel Desolation. And those guitars are getting reputable for being plagued with quality control issues.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 26, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Sounds like one of those situations where the neck angle of the guitar isn't steep enough for the TOM bridge, causing the bridge to bottom out on the face of the guitar. Unfortunately the nature of the problem means there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. I'd sell the guitar and buy a new one that works properly.

The last guitar I've seen having this problem was a Charvel Desolation. And those guitars are getting reputable for being plagued with quality control issues.

good point didn't think about that.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I don't want to sell it, I want to make it better than it currently is. The action is better than what I had it before, but I want to see if I can make it lower.

Before if I had it this low, it would buzz out and bends would die out , but I made some adjustments and it's better, but I want to know what I can do to make it even better.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Clay-man
I don't want to sell it, I want to make it better than it currently is. The action is better than what I had it before, but I want to see if I can make it lower.

Before if I had it this low, it would buzz out and bends would die out , but I made some adjustments and it's better, but I want to know what I can do to make it even better.

sounds like it needs a pro setup. i'm guessing this is a low end guitar. i understand you really like it but you may have hit the wall on this. past a good setup you may not be able to do much more with the action. a different bridge might help but have no idea what to recommend.
Quote by Clay-man

Well if the bridge is to the deck and it still isn't low enough, then you're pretty much shit out of luck. If you're not willing to get another guitar, or at least buy a TOM bridge with a lower profile (the likes of which I've never heard of), then like I've implied earlier, you'll just have to put on a brave face and bear it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I have a Charvel Desolation Skatecaster. It's probably the only guitar I've ever bought that was perfect out of the box.

It's still perfect.
Quote by Clay-man
What do I do if I can't lower the action any lower?

This is an SG copy with a glue on neck. The bridge piece won't go any lower. Is there anything I can do to make it go lower?

How low is your action now at the 17th fret?
Quote by monwobobbo
sounds like it needs a pro setup. i'm guessing this is a low end guitar. i understand you really like it but you may have hit the wall on this. past a good setup you may not be able to do much more with the action. a different bridge might help but have no idea what to recommend.

It is a low end guitar, yes. It has sentimental value though and I want to bring it from a low end to a decent guitar.

I already replaced the broken pickup selector and might swap the pickups one day. Maybe make it a project.

I might look at what bridges I can use on it.

Before I adjusted the action some more, the action was so bad my fingers slid under the other strings when doing bends, that's how high it was.

To be honest, the action right now isn't bad, but it's not anything nice either, it's just, fine at best, but I like mildly low action.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Virgman
I have a Charvel Desolation Skatecaster. It's probably the only guitar I've ever bought that was perfect out of the box.

It's still perfect.

i got a lucky one as well. mine is the star. not a bad guitar for $300.

OP- learn how to play slide. its fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by MaggaraMarine
How straight is your neck?

That was my first thought. There may be too much neck relief. Clay Man, have you checked it? I test from the first and body frets, bass side, and it should be around the thickness of a business card, credit card would be too much.

If it really has got a low neck angle, there are bridges with a lower-than-standard height. Unfortunately I can't recall which ones. IIIRC, Stewmac mentions it for one of their bridges.

My solution would be to make a well for the bridge, but that needs suitable tools.
I'll try to adjust the neck relief to the best of my ability.

The guitar was only like 200 USD, it's nothing big, but it was my second guitar. It's beaten up, and I had to replace some hardware, but it's still a nice guitar.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s