3 14%
Egnater Tweaker-40 112
7 32%
Marshall DSL40c
6 27%
Blackstar HT Club 40
3 14%
Voters: 22.
going to buy one of these amps. please vote on personal favorites and any commentary is awesome. thanks

im looking for something that will give me decent clean headroom, but that will also be able to handle a pedal board in the future (chorus, tube screamer, wah, whammy, eq, etc) something super versatile that i can use for college jazz band and for small gigs with my band (punk/alternative/classic rock)
Last edited by jumpnjax at Feb 26, 2015,
You need to be more specific on what your wanting in an amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
tough to answer without knowing what type of stuff you'll be playing. sure i can tell you my preference but that would be based on what i play.

i'd go with either the Marshall or the Egnator myself. the Marshall does the marshall thing so as a hard rock player that is the kind of tone i go for. the Egnator has a lot of options so can deliver a pretty wide range of tones.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If you like Marshall cleans go for the Marshall. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Marshall cleans so I'd go with one of the Fenders. I have both the DSL and the Deluxe 3, It all comes down to cleans vs overdrive. Marshall has the drive, Fender has the cleans.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by jumpnjax
going to buy one of these amps. please vote on personal favorites and any commentary is awesome. thanks

im looking for something that will give me decent clean headroom, but that will also be able to handle a pedal board in the future (chorus, tube screamer, wah, whammy, eq, etc) something super versatile that i can use for college jazz band and for small gigs with my band (punk/alternative/classic rock)

Egnator tweaker then. personally i'm not a fan but i play different stuff than what you mentioned. very versatile amp.
I personally own the Blackstar 40 and I think it kicks butt. Definitely better than the DSL. However, the Tweaker is a great amp as well and probably the best for your styles.
Last edited by jman99 at Aug 29, 2016,
Completely a personal choice but I did not like the Egnaters I played through, and gigged for 5 yrs with a HRD. I would use what I know works. Fender.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I take my accidental DSL40 vote back and put it towards the tweaker-40
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Completely a personal choice but I did not like the Egnaters I played through, and gigged for 5 yrs with a HRD. I would use what I know works. Fender.

i owned a rebel 30, tweaker 15 and a renegade. after i got rid of them, i realized that i was glad i did . the tweaker is just blah, the renegade the best. but all of the functions on them are just gimmicky. the wattage knob doesn't make hardly any difference on the rebel, the tube mix knob was dumb on the renegade (amongst many other things) and the tweaker was just shit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Based the fact that you also want to play with a jazz band and would need to have a nice clean sound the Egnator Tweaker looks nice but one drawback is no internal reverb. Of course all this depends greatly on the guitar or guitars you will be using.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 27, 2015,
thanks you guys, i just went and played the egnater 40 head w/ 1x12 cab and i know thats what i want now for sure. great amp
Quote by gregs1020
We're never wrong.

ummmm.... yeah lets go with that.

enjoy your new amp.
i would say the bottom 3 are most versatile. i owned a tweaker 40 and i would hands down take the DSL.

i would take the DSL over all if you want the most versatility as it pulls off cleans to fairly high gain very well. the rest dont really. blackstar yes, but it wont sound like the markshall.

if you want touch sensitivity and breakup on your pick attack / volume, the tweaker can be set very easily for varying amounts of breakup at low volumes or bedroom volumes using the switches. its probably one of the best amps ive seen do that well. it wont do much beyond a classic rock crunch though. need to push it with pedals, and it start buzzing and whatnot.

fenders are fenders. do you want a fender? if so, nothing else on the list will satisfy. i dont like hot rods. too bland. classic fender cleans but crap gain, good working mans amp but others have more character. get teh blues reissue.

i upgraded to a carvin v3m and i am very happy with the purchase. i should have just bought that from the get go. really, it doesnt do the classic rock touch sensitive breakup as well. a little bit. the clean channel has a soak setting that allows this. but its not as good. as a whole the amp is more versatile and im enjoying it more.

i did like the tweaker. solid unit. i would gig with it for sure.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 28, 2015,
I own a Hot rod and its great on clean, and works perfectly with a tube screamer. the distortion channel is not as good though. but if you are looking for a clean amp its great. Also, it handles effects very well.