So, im a beginner player who needs help choosing a guitar bridge

I found this guitar (Cort KX Custom) and really liked it, problem is: It's a fixed bridge. Since I'm new to guitar playing I don't know if i'll regret the decision of getting a fixed bridge.
Last time I used a whammy bar was on my old budget strat when I had like 2-3 months of practice, then I lost it (I'm dumb, yes) So I don't have experience with whammy bars

I don't know if this will help but:
Favourite artists: Dimebag Darrell, Zakk Wylde, Synyster Gates, Kirk Hammett, Kiko Loureiro, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Daron Malakian and Richie Kotzen
no reason to regret getting a fixed bridge guitar. since you are a beginner you are actually better off. fewer tuning issues and one less thing to worry about. concentrate on learning to play. down the road you can get another guitar with a bar if you wish. learning to use a trem takes some time and patience otherwise you just make silly noises (fun though).
^+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
getting a new guitar is the main problem. I live in Brazil and guitars are REALLY expensive here, so I only got one shot at getting a new guitar, really thankfull for the reply!
Last edited by St.James at Feb 26, 2015,
Quote by St.James
getting a new guitar is the main problem. I live in Brazil and guitars are REALLY expensive here, so I only got one shot at getting a new guitar

for now. as i said down the road you can always save and get another one. bars are fun but at this stage in your playing will probably cause more problems than you need. plenty of players have gotten by with out them. several guys on your list don't use them.
Yeah I have been playing for 20+ yrs and I rarely ever use the trem.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, if it's not asking much. Any thoughts on the guitar I chose? Don't really want to open another thread
Quote by St.James
Thanks man!
This was hitting really hard on my head, glad you helped

any time. i know it's tough and tempting but learn to play first and then you can get more into things like trems. i use them on my strats a fair amount but i play my SG and BC Rich Eagle that don't have trems just as much and it's no biggie. you can learn to do some trem like effects as well.
Quote by St.James
Well, if it's not asking much. Any thoughts on the guitar I chose? Don't really want to open another thread

yeah make a new thread and make sure to give your location , what you want to spend and an idea of what you want from a guitar.
Quote by monwobobbo
any time. i know it's tough and tempting but learn to play first and then you can get more into things like trems. i use them on my strats a fair amount but i play my SG and BC Rich Eagle that don't have trems just as much and it's no biggie. you can learn to do some trem like effects as well.

I totally faked a repetitive dive bomb that was pretty integral to a song on a moderne because I didn't feel like playing a strat for the other songs, haha. I just call it cheap skill-less rock guitar tricks but the singer couldn't tell I wasn't doing what was supposed to be done, just that the next guitarist who tried to do it (with a Floyd, no less) wasn't doing it "right." It was kinda funny. The next guy was a much better player than me but I guess he couldn't wrap his head around some of the lowbrow tricks I did to create what was basically noise.

To the OP, it's not exactly the same thing, but even if you can't get another guitar down the road as income and market availability vary wildly in Brazil, you might be able to get away with using a whammy pedal to simulate some of the effects and a pedal would be much cheaper to ship in form overseas if they don't have one locally. For the record I'm in total agreement with monwo, whammy bars are fun, but cause a lot more problems than they solve when you are just learning. My first two guitars had whammy bars on them, and I guess I'm better for the experience, but I never use the things now. They're just unnecessary most of the time for me. A guitar with a fixed bridge that kept better tuning stability would have been much better for me, had I understood such things back then. It would have allowed me to focus more on playing and learning and less on showing off with gimmicky noises. On the other hand, they do may chaning pitch on a sustained harmonic (ala DD) much easier, imo. But I think it's more valuable to learn your instrument and develop your own style. Who knows, you may find your own neat tricks while trying to simulate what other guys do with whammy bars.
here is my $.02.

if you want to get a nice guitar that you want a bar in the future on, but don't want to get another guitar, get a tremol-no. it allows you to lock it.

that way you can have the guitar that you want down the line with a trem and have stability now with a tremol-no.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=tremol-no&source=3WWRWXGB&kwid=d43303a5c48e4c709d4b2c20436c362f&gclid=CjwKEAiAyMCnBRDa0Pyex-qswB0SJADKNMKALpVn4lM0tKNutTeqiRiLSRSZih5kgOBvcDH2AddoZBoCX0Tw_wcB
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Wow, didn't even know those existed!
Problem is to find one now haha, thanks for the info!
Quote by Hydra26
I totally faked a repetitive dive bomb that was pretty integral to a song on a moderne because I didn't feel like playing a strat for the other songs, haha. I just call it cheap skill-less rock guitar tricks but the singer couldn't tell I wasn't doing what was supposed to be done, just that the next guitarist who tried to do it (with a Floyd, no less) wasn't doing it "right." It was kinda funny. The next guy was a much better player than me but I guess he couldn't wrap his head around some of the lowbrow tricks I did to create what was basically noise.

To the OP, it's not exactly the same thing, but even if you can't get another guitar down the road as income and market availability vary wildly in Brazil, you might be able to get away with using a whammy pedal to simulate some of the effects and a pedal would be much cheaper to ship in form overseas if they don't have one locally. For the record I'm in total agreement with monwo, whammy bars are fun, but cause a lot more problems than they solve when you are just learning. My first two guitars had whammy bars on them, and I guess I'm better for the experience, but I never use the things now. They're just unnecessary most of the time for me. A guitar with a fixed bridge that kept better tuning stability would have been much better for me, had I understood such things back then. It would have allowed me to focus more on playing and learning and less on showing off with gimmicky noises. On the other hand, they do may chaning pitch on a sustained harmonic (ala DD) much easier, imo. But I think it's more valuable to learn your instrument and develop your own style. Who knows, you may find your own neat tricks while trying to simulate what other guys do with whammy bars.

Well, guess i'm decided now. Going to get a fixed bridge unless i can find those ''tremol-no'' thingies, really thankfull for the info and taking the time to respond
Chiming in late, here...

I've used Floyds a lot more in the last several years than I ever did early on, but I have and use guitars with and without them.
I think you're going to be just fine with a non-trem bridge, both as a beginner and an experienced guitar player; probably 95%+ of the playing you do won't actually use a trem.