Hey-

So I have been playing guitar for a while, and I am really starting to care about what my sound is and guitar specs and stuff like that. Being that the amp I play through is pretty crappy and can't let me do some of the things I need (be heard over my drummer and singer, get any decent tone, etc.), it has been high time for me to upgrade. The main thing I really want to get to is that I need a little bit of help choosing a new amplifier. I have been looking at stuff for months, and it has been absolute hell trying to decide.
I have, however, been able to know what I need. I'm thinking some kind of tube half stack (being that i can change heads or cabs), with a pretty good amount of watts (not like head-shattering, but good enough to play small-medium type gigs). I'm not too picky if it has two channels or not, to me personally, all I need is a good clean tone. I don't think this make a big difference, but I play mainly my Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top. Also, its has to have some sort of reliability, being that i can't afford many repairs, and don't have money for a backup yet. I play a lot of classic rock, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc. I also play some jazz, and funky-Red Hot Chili Peppers style stuff with my band. I also have no problem mixing and matching, so it doesn't have to be same brand cab and head. Lastly, keep it under a $1000, cuz that is pretty steep for me.
Thanks to any dude who can help me out,
Chris.
I'm gonna go with Fender Super Sonic or Randall RM. Both are killer and will do what you want. You'll have to go used for the Super Sonic.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
JSX is a good option. any reason you aren't looking at combos? in your price range you can find any number of excellent 1x12 combos that will meet your needs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-MTS-Series-RM100-Guitar-Amp-2x12-100w-All-Tube-Valve-Combo-Plexi-Module-/231257688576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35d8084a00

At some stage have the treadplate converted to a Blackface or similar - or something else that takes your fancy.
Here's some good modules:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
If you can't find a module that you like among those, you aren't looking hard enough.

There are several other RM100's on ebay too.
There's also this little baby:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDALL-RM50HB-50-Watt-Modular-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-NEW-20964-/181666103451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4c24c09b
It has no preamp modules though so that will jack up the price a bit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
SuperSonic, any used Mesa head, for American tone, Marshall, Orange or Laney for Brit tone. Lots of good gig quality combos too.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hi-
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have been looking through them. Unfortunately, however, I had to pay a huge expense that made me dip into the savings I had for a new amp. Luckily, however, a friend offered to let me borrow his Music Man Head he has that he hasn't used too much, so, just temporarily, I need to find myself a decent, reliable cabinet, if anyone has suggestions. Sorry about having to go back on what I said, but life happens.
Thanks again,
Chris
you can't go wrong with the Marshall 1960 cab I posted above
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly-

Thanks for the suggestion. Probably gonna go ahead and pick that guy up, just a question. Can I play it at home without being all that loud, or is it more like an amp just for performing? It's fine if thats the case, just curious if I gotta buy myself a practice amp as well.

Thanks,
Chris
Quote by pianodude11601
Robbgnarly-

Thanks for the suggestion. Probably gonna go ahead and pick that guy up, just a question. Can I play it at home without being all that loud, or is it more like an amp just for performing? It's fine if thats the case, just curious if I gotta buy myself a practice amp as well.

Thanks,
Chris

yes typically you can get down to home levels with out issues
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by pianodude11601
Hi-
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have been looking through them. Unfortunately, however, I had to pay a huge expense that made me dip into the savings I had for a new amp. Luckily, however, a friend offered to let me borrow his Music Man Head he has that he hasn't used too much, so, just temporarily, I need to find myself a decent, reliable cabinet, if anyone has suggestions. Sorry about having to go back on what I said, but life happens.
Thanks again,
Chris

If you're in America , try Seismic cabinets, they're damn good for the price. In fact, they surprised the hell out of me.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/search?query=guitar+amp+cabinets
Hey,
Thanks for the suggestions. Think I am going with the Marshall 1960 A. Can anybody get me a video or audio recording of how it sounds? Can't find much that helps me.
Quote by pianodude11601
Hey,
Thanks for the suggestions. Think I am going with the Marshall 1960 A. Can anybody get me a video or audio recording of how it sounds? Can't find much that helps me.

It sounds like a typical marshall cab. it has G12t75 speakers in it which have a strong bass and high response and subdued mids.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate