Hey all- ive been listening to some recordings from a local Hardcore band in my area (boston) and they use some pretty crazy, maybe even over-the-top special effects in their recordings. Id really like to learn how to become adept at using these effects, but perhaps a little more tastefully.

What vsts or programs or hardware are used to do this type of shit? Is a lot of these sound effects available with vsts like Massive? and some of the Eq filters and effects on the vocals sound really neat, but i have no idea how to mimick them. They arent as simple as low passing all the high end out or something.. any tips or direction towards tutorials would be appreciated
We The Machine - "Archers" (New Album SEASONS Available NOW!): http://youtu.be/FJC06OpyTt8

P.s. it pains me to have to advertize these guys a bit cuz i think theyre a little douchey- but i really like some of the effects, eq techniques, filters, and cuts, so i dont know another way
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by jaspervdv
I don't really hear crazy effects that i didn't hear before.
maybe a they went a bit over the top with glitches but that's it?

can you give the times in the song were effects are used that you don't recognize

Thanks for replying. Let me make a list:

-Practically all of the background sfx up to around 0:22 (the staticy shit, and what not)

-The filter on the clean vocals at around 1:09 1:10

-1:38 or 1:39. Is that just chopping up the WAV in your daw? Ive messed with chopping and it usually doesnt sound like that for me

-2:14 the filter on the clean vocal

-filter on clean vocals 2:59 on to 3:45

-panned staticky effects starting at around 3:25

I guess thats all for now. If there are specific vsts you could recommend for these effects that would be very helpful too
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

-Practically all of the background sfx up to around 0:22

Sounds like a guitar in the background just scratching a bit with a filter on it, or highs and a bit lows removed with a eq.
maybe it is even playing chords, but it is not really easy to hear that.

for those weird sounds I can suggest kinetic metal.
It is a native instruments library, pretty expensive, but so much fun.
It are just those creepy sounds. I love it to death.
But it will not give you any weird static stuff.

The filter on the clean vocals at around 1:09 1:10

2:14 the filter on the clean vocal

filter on clean vocals 2:59 on to 3:45

those are all pretty basic filters.
I think any stock filter can do that in any DAW

1:38 or 1:39. Is that just chopping up the WAV in your daw? Ive messed with chopping and it usually doesnt sound like that for me

Yes, Keep in mind that you can use any part in the performance to create a glitch.
one part will sound entirely different that a part directly next to it.
also the length of the soundwave you use and the amount of space between a repeat change the sound.

Probably a plugin can do that too, but that is just a waste of money, it is not that hard to make yourself

panned staticky effects starting at around 3:25

Filtered guitars I believe, well, that is how I would recreate it.
with a couple of glitches once in a while

The didn't really use a special plugin for something, sorry to disappoint you.
Okay- what would the eq curve be like then for those clean vocal filters? Where are the high/low passes, or notches, most likely? It almost sounds like there is distortion or a lot of gain/compression on them at those parts too or something.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Okay- what would the eq curve be like then for those clean vocal filters? Where are the high/low passes, or notches, most likely? It almost sounds like there is distortion or a lot of gain/compression on them at those parts too or something.

It's just a basic megaphone effect. Throw a little distortion on the vocals and then use an EQ to cut out all the low end and all the high end, bump up the mids a bit and cut out any nasty frequencies. Easy.

The glitch at 1:38 can actually be automated with a free plugin, adequatly named, Glitch. It's 32-bit only, though. There IS a newer version that's 64 bit, but it's $60. Well worth it, either way, but that's up to you if you want to buy it. Otherwise, you can chop it up, as said, but it's a lot more work
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The eq curve depends on the kind of voice you're working on.
I cannot tell you where the dips etc are in this song, im by all means not a professional.

Well probably they used a lot of compression on the vocal parts, I don't think they used a distortion.
They used an saturation thing i think.

softube has a free one and it is really nice,I use it on nearly all my vocal parts
http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob

also a bit of verb is in there.

and probably a pitch correction.
awesome- thanks a lot for the help guys
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69