So I have and older Peavey Signature guitar and whenever I plug it in, all I get is feedback. It doesnt register any strings being strummed, just the feedback. Do I need to change anything? Or is there something internal that needs fixing it there can be. Unfortunately getting a new guitar is out of the question for the time being.
check the solder joints, and make sure that the output jack is properly functioning. i had that problem with a cheap guitar i got used, it turned out that the person before had a loose jack and they kept turning it without turning the back, so the wire was torn off and it was bad on buzz and feedback. now that i say that it doesn't make sense, but just a quick ting to check,

however, i would reflow all of the solder joints. its worth it. trust me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Check what trashed already suggested, there is a chance of a short somewhere inside, there is also a chance it could have microphonic pickups, not hared to cure by potting them.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php

I use a small fondue pot, basically a mini crock pot, and Gulfwax, which is k i t c h e n wax intended for canning. Works perfect...

Test it to be sure that's the problem before going to the trouble of doing it. Check the things already mentioned first.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
by any shot, was it left in a hot temperature? in a hot car or something? because that is one way you can lose you wax potting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sounds like a wire got loose. When I did a killswitch, I experimented with inline vs. send to ground, and that's the sound you get when you break the electric path somewhere.

Open it up, resolder stuff. It's most likely on the output jack; or if a knob is loose, it might be there.

If it's a short, you wouldn't hear any loud feedback stuff. It'd be much quieter. So it's not a short.

If that doesn't work, eliminate components one by one by removing them from the circuit to find the problem. Trial and error and all that.
Last edited by soweli at Feb 27, 2015,