I'm in the process of making my blueprints for the body of a Wilshire guitar. and have no idea where to mark out the pickup cavities. this is blueprints for a template by the way. does it matter where the pickup cavities are as long as they're under the strings? Thanks for all input on this.
Attachments:
body jpeg.jpg
You need to correctly (note that word) locate the bridge position before anything else. This will depend on the neck used, the scale used, the neck pocket location. You'll also want to make sure that you establish a centerline through the neck and the body.

Have you decided on the scale of the guitar?
Quote by dspellman
You need to correctly (note that word) locate the bridge position before anything else. This will depend on the neck used, the scale used, the neck pocket location. You'll also want to make sure that you establish a centerline through the neck and the body.

Have you decided on the scale of the guitar?

The body of the guitar is Width = 342.90mm and Length = 425.45mm. The neck I will most likely place on this guitar will be the scale of an average fender telecaster neck which I need to look into if you happen to know that would be very useful.
Fender scale is 25 1/2" (Tele and Strat). Are you buying a neck?

Where you place your pickups will have a dramatic effect on tone, speaking very broadly- closer to the bridge=brighter, snarly, more aggressive where as closer to neck = mellower, darker, more bassy.

You'd be best looking up some common pickup placement measurements such as Tele and Strat. You can find blueprints for both of these online.
Last edited by Manton Customs at Feb 27, 2015,
I will check out some common placements then thanks and I'll be making the neck, just to the messurements of the fender tele neck.
Why not just measure an existing guitar, mark it out, and then change the shape of the body? Why reinvent the wheel; particularly as you don't seem sure how the wheel works in this instance.