Heya fellow humans!

I've been thinking about putting some new pickups in my beloved old Epiphone Prophecy SG ( love the neck ), it's original EMG's died a long time ago and it has been standing between the rest of my guitars far too long now.

I was thinking about getting either the Duncan Invader for the bridge, or the DiMarzio Dominion. Both are displayed as high output pickups with chunky mids.
Unfortunately there aren't many good comparisons or videos like that on YouTube that really give me an idea of them.

I need an aggressive pickup with tons of mids but yet also some warmth, I don't like those thin, dead sounds you get from a lot of high gain humbuckers. I mostly play metal and I'm more of a riff guy than a shredder, amp's an Orange TH-30.

Sooo - which pickup would you recommend? Invader or Dominion? Or probably something completely different?
Error 404 - Signature not available.
They're actually fairly different; the Dominion is closer to a Distortion than an Invader imo.

- The Dominion isn't quite high output pickup, although this lends itself towards increased clarity. With a boost it's still very capable of metal.
- The Invader has a far greater bass response, so although it's less thin sounding, it's warmer. That's not to say I find the Dominion 'too thin'.

Personally, I prefer the Dominion, although I'm really not a fan of the Invader's overbearing bass response. What sort of riffs are we talking?

Make sure you watch these if you haven't already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjMGHuNpOg
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child

Personally, I prefer the Dominion, although I'm really not a fan of the Invader's overbearing bass response. What sort of riffs are we talking?

Thanks so far!

The sort of riffs we are talking are mainly thrashy, but still melodic and fat sounding riffs. I'm the only guitarist in my band, so I need a clear, but still very ''mighty'' sound. There's not much downtuning going on, tuning is drop C-sharp. That's why I always find some of those modern comparison videos problematic, going with the trend, there are lots of low tunings, 7 or 8 strings being used and since they have different sound characteristics I think it's often quite hard to get an idea.
That first video actually was pretty nice, the Invader really sounds different.
I've pulled Invaders from two of my guitars (I think they still live in the accessory pocket in the cases). Didn't care for them at all.

When you say you're the only guitar player in the band, does this mean you don't have bass?
Why didn't you care for them?

Hah, no, of course we have a bass, guess I should have been more specific. Still, there's lots of room for me to fill with my sound.
Quote by Oh_My_Goth
Why didn't you care for them?

Hah, no, of course we have a bass, guess I should have been more specific. Still, there's lots of room for me to fill with my sound.

Invaders have poor articulation and are too hot for the vast majority of applications.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The good news is anything sounds better than a dead pickup... and I prefer most pickups over EMG actives unless they are 18 volt modded. Think of the metallica kill'em all album for the sound of an invader. Lots of really harsh highs and muddiness but this can be fixed with the right amplifier settings or mods.

If the invader is too muddy do one or more of the following
*mid scoop (torres engineering) - similar to a contour knob on a marshall i believe
*a fender greasebucket mod can replace a tone knob to eliminate the harsh highs
*adjust the pickup height lower
*If not a 0.022uf or 0.047uf capacitor helps before the black wire on a SD pickup hits the hot lead.

it's hard to determine which will work better. The only thing you can do is try guitars similar to yours. Granted there is no 100% way but avoid youtube like the plague for pickup comparisons so many kids use different guitars. Don't have the same pickup heights, don't use a brand new pack of strings each time. This isn't to say that you'll find some pros like Ola Englund doing it though so good luck.
Thanks people!!

Quote by Tallwood13
The good news is anything sounds better than a dead pickup... and I prefer most pickups over EMG actives...

So do I. I hate the thin, sterile sound of EMG pickups, when I bought the guitar I mainly bought it for the neck, it was and still is the best neck I have ever played. Wanted to change the pickups for a long, long time.

Well i guess if the Invader really lacks articulation and has more of a muddy sound, it will sound like a really forced, yucky shart when combined with my Orange amp. Guess I'll probably be going for the Dominion then.
Last edited by Oh_My_Goth at Feb 28, 2015,
If you don't like the sound of EMG's, 18v mod them. Makes them sound so much better.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Oh_My_Goth
Thanks people!!

So do I. I hate the thin, sterile sound of EMG pickups, when I bought the guitar I mainly bought it for the neck, it was and still is the best neck I have ever played. Wanted to change the pickups for a long, long time.

Well i guess if the Invader really lacks articulation and has more of a muddy sound, it will sound like a really forced, yucky shart when combined with my Orange amp. Guess I'll probably be going for the Dominion then.
Is there any reason you're limiting yourself to these two options? I can think of other pickups that might suit your needs better...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Whoa, just seen your comment, sorry for not responding.

Well these two kinda seemed good to me because they were both considered metal pickups with a lot of mid range - and both are passive (I hate the sound of active pickups). Tons of mids and heavyness are what I am looking for, so these two looked nice, as it seemed they had enough warmth with their mids, but still not too much. (Too much bass would kill the whole thing, as my Orange has some serious balls)
So yeah, basically it has to be a heavy pickup, lots of mids, some warmth but still a good articulation...

If you have any other idea, let me hear, I'll be happy to get other suggestions!!!
Last edited by Oh_My_Goth at Mar 7, 2015,