I'm starting a big of a thing where I'm taking some well known songs (or not so well known, whatever works) and replacing the vocals with the same melody transcribed to lead guitar, and I'm looking for some suggestions of what you guys think would be cool to hear played in such a way!

The style I'm going for it quite mellow, slower songs (as you'll see below) with which I can play very emotive melodies and get really expressive with my technique.

Songs I'm already working on:
Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton
Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen (Jeff Buckley's version)
What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Superman - Five For Fighting (Boyce Avenue's version)
Say Something - A Great Big World

I play mostly humbucker equipped guitars, Les Paul type sounds, but I'm getting into my Strat lately so suggestions which would suit either sound are welcome!

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think might work with this little project, I'll have a YouTube channel up with this stuff when I get to recording it

Thanks!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Anything Queen. For a start I'd suggest something off Innuendo; for example I'm Going Slightly Mad or The Show Must Go On.
Bruh? Brah? Breh? Bruae? Bruae.
Looking through my iTunes library under Queen led me to Too Much Love Will Kill You, thanks!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Ain't no Sunshine - Bill Withers
Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder

Easy tunes, pentatonic melody lines.
Love this idea of Ain't No Sunshine

Playing with the idea of Foo Fighter's "My Hero" acoustic as well.. I like this growing list!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

While my guitar gently weeps - The Beatles. Vinnie Moore did a really cool version of this on his Time Odyssey album. Learn his version, or create your own.

Shape of my heart - Sting, is a really melodic song, that would translate nicely to an instrumental version.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Someone once said "Never Gonna Give You Up" (AKA Rick Roll) is a great choice if you can transcribe the vocal melody. It's a fun and catchy melody and great for pranks (play it as a guitar solo and you can Rick Roll people). "Thriller" by Michael Jackson is an awesome song with a great vocal melody and will probably impress people (it may be a little difficult though).
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Great idea! Here' s a list of songs I play that way:
Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love
Enrico Macias - Solenzara
Joe Dassin - Indian Summer
Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You
The Beatles - Hey Jude
The Beatles - Let It Be
Santa Esmeralda - You're My Everything

BTW, I'm thinking to cover Hallelujah, too. Besame Mucho is aslo a good choice.