I realized that I am lifting my pinky way too high between notes.
My other fingers stay close to the fretboard, but for some reason my pinky shoots up each time it is not fretting a note.

Has anyone here dealt with that problem before? I tried to play slow to be conscious about it, but it makes me play VERY slow, and even then I feel like I don't necessarily control how high it goes when I release a note.
I have that exact same problem that you are having, and have no idea how to resolve the issue, it's very annoying. When I play Master of Puppets in some sections, that happens. So I adapted and use a different finger for that note. But for most other songs that I need to use the pinky it isn't much of an issue.

I'm with yah man. I'd like to know how to fix that or that's if you can and just have to live with it.
Does it matter in any way? This just happens naturally. When you play slow your pinky finger shoots high, but when you play fast it doesn't.

Watch Matt Heafy play one of the solos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lN7DWCMO5I
Notice how his pinky finger is being lift really high when he is playing slow.
with my finger I do like in the video; but I feel like it's slowing me down when trying to play 2-3 notes in a loop fast; even when playing faster, I lift it too high; not as high, but still too high
You just need to train it, it's really hard at first, but you just have to go slow and concentrate on your pinky.

I saw a good video about it on YouTube that I tried to find, but the guy has taken it down. This is the pattern from it though and it helped me a lot with keeping my pinky close to the fretboard as well as zeroing in on my third and fourth finger back and forth transitions.

e|-9-10-9-8-7-9-10-9-10-9-8-7----
b|------------------------------------------
g|------------------------------------------
d|------------------------------------------
a|------------------------------------------
e|------------------------------------------

Obviously, it's just a pattern that can be played anywhere on the neck and on any string, so it's good to move it around because it is different trying to do it on the fifth and sixth strings compared to the first and second. In the video, the guy recommended doing it for two hours...I didn't make it quite that long, but I spent a good bit of time on it to start out with and the results were pretty quick. Of course it takes a long time to really refine it, but there was a big improvement quickly.
Last edited by That_Ship at Feb 28, 2015,
yes, that's pretty much what I started to do on my own; I noticed that my pinky really shoots up when I lift the ring finger, otherwise I can get it to stay somewhat lower
You need to relax your hand more, your pinky shouldn't be flying too much higher than your other fingers if you are playing with relaxed hands.

To fix this all you need to do is play incredibly slowly (I mean really, really slow), and completely relax your body when you play. Focus primarily on completely relaxing your fretting hand and gently fretting each note, only using the minimal amount of pressure needed to get the note to sound. Find some simple exercise or riff that uses your pinky, and try playing it like this. It'll take a while to get used to and you won't be able to speed up straight away but your playing will get a lot better if you get this down.

Quote by Reages
Does it matter in any way? This just happens naturally. When you play slow your pinky finger shoots high, but when you play fast it doesn't.

The reason it doesn't when people play fast is because if the pinky (or any other finger) moved a lot, they wouldn't be able to fret notes quick enough. The way to do this is to relax the hand, which means when someone plays slowly and has their pinky moving all over the place they are actually playing with excess tension, which is never a good thing.
Last edited by Anon17 at Feb 28, 2015,
Quote by Reages

Watch Matt Heafy play one of the solos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lN7DWCMO5I
Notice how his pinky finger is being lift really high when he is playing slow.

I agree.
Sometimes mine goes pretty far, depends what I'm playing. Scales it barely moves, some licks it moves a lot. I'm fine with that
it's pretty uneven on my end too; it always goes too high, but sometimes it just shoots up.

@Anon17, you're probably right, my hand is too tense, I can feel it.