Okay, this forum has been pretty dead for quite a while... I remember seeing a post about cymbal collections a while back, so I figured I'd post one asking what you guys are using for snares!

Post 'em up, what you like about them, what you hate about them, let's hear it!

Here's my current collection...

• 14x8" Ludwig Limited-Edition Classic Maple (Maple & Oak)
  • 14x6.5" Drum Craft Series 8 (Aluminum)
  • 14x6.5" Gretsch Gold Series Stave (Cherry)
  • 14x6" Crush Multi Species (Maple/Mahogany/Birch/Bubinga/Ash)
  • 14x6" Pearl Mirror Chrome (Steel)
  • 14x6" Ming Pure (Fiberglass)
  • 14x5.5" Tama Superstar (Birch)
  • 14x5" '65 Ludwig Acrolite (Aluminum)
  • 14x5" Slingerland Radio King (Bronze)
  • 14x5" Ludwig Pioneer (Mahogany)
  • 14x3.5" Pearl Free Floater (Brass)
  • 13x6" Addiction Drum Design Segment (Oak)

Unfortunately, I usually don't end up photographing my snares until I decide to sell them, so I don't think I really have any good shots of any of these yet...

As far as sound is concerned, I've gone through A LOT of drums over the past few months, in search of a few specific tones. My favorites that I don't really plan on selling anytime soon are:

1. The Ludwig Classic Maple - I've owned several 8" deep drums before and HATED them. Took a chance on this one (mostly because I really liked the finish) and was blown away. Every time I hit this thing it makes me smile.

2. Drum Craft Series 8 Aluminum - I had the 14x6.5 LM402 Ludwig Supra for several months and I just couldn't get along with that snare. No matter what I did, it had way too many overtones and, even though it sounded really fat under a mic, I just hated it in the room. The Drum Craft is all the fattness of the Supra, but with a far drier sound (likely due to it's significantly thicker shell). Until I got this, the Classic Maple was the clear winner of all of the snares I've owned, but this is giving it a run for its money, currently!

3. '65 Ludwig Acrolite - I've owned 4 Acros, the others didn't even come close to this one. This was my favorite snare for a LONG time, and still remains on my top list. I kept buying snares and they all failed in comparison. Surprisingly, even though it's fairly shallow, it's one of the biggest sounding snares I've heard and has a surprisingly large tuning range.

4. Addiction Drums Oak Segment - I hate snare overtones and until I finally decided to complete the assembly of this snare, I'd yet to hear a snare I enjoyed that had a lot of ring. This one changed my mind. It is BY FAR, the loudest snare I've ever heard but it sounds phenomenal and the ring hits at a pitch that actually enhances the attack. I was hesitant about this snare, because it has huge 2" vents on it (which I find a dumb gimmick), but man, it sounds great!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by viesuliis
Want to earn some extra $ 100 a day?

I'll need it to buy this many snares...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 28, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll need it to buy this many snares...

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I wish I could call it a 'collection', I have two:

• Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14x6.5"
  • Mapex Meridian Birch 14x5.5"

Basically the Sledgehammer gets used for everything except acoustic/quiet gigs, the Birch gets used for everything else
Quote by Lordyboy
I wish I could call it a 'collection', I have two:

• Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14x6.5"
  • Mapex Meridian Birch 14x5.5"

Basically the Sledgehammer gets used for everything except acoustic/quiet gigs, the Birch gets used for everything else

Guy I've traded with a few times keeps raving about the Sledgehammer and has been on a hunt for another one for a while. Curious to try one myself, my first "real" snare was a Black Panther Cherry Bomb, and it was a great snare.

Curious how the Meridian Birch compares to my 14x5.5" Tama Superstar (which I forgot to list... damn - I have too many drums ). I love birch for toms and kick but I'm still kinda on the fence as a snare. It has a really nice, tight, pop, when tuned high, but I haven't found a whole lot of other sounds in it that I dig. Could just be the die-cast hoops choking the tone?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Guy I've traded with a few times keeps raving about the Sledgehammer and has been on a hunt for another one for a while. Curious to try one myself.

Yeah it's a great snare, probably too loud and ringy to be properly considered versatile, but for a lot of rock settings it does its job very well, the brass is a lot warmer than steel but still very loud and cuts great. My next snare will be when they bring out a 14x8" wood Black Panther in the UK

Quote by MatrixClaw
Curious how the Meridian Birch compares to my 14x5.5" Tama Superstar (which I forgot to list... damn - I have too many drums ). I love birch for toms and kick but I'm still kinda on the fence as a snare. It has a really nice, tight, pop, when tuned high, but I haven't found a whole lot of other sounds in it that I dig. Could just be the die-cast hoops choking the tone?

The Meridian Birch is OK, served me well for a while but it could never be loud enough while still keeping to a more 'normal' pitch, and indeed seems to also sound better the higher you pull it. It has 2.3mm Mapex Powerhoops on it, which I assume is their fancy term for triple-flanged. I just think a lot of the time stock snares aren't very good haha.