Still trying to determine the sound of active pups vs. passive.
Would Def Leppard's, "Hysteria" contain some examples of guitar with active pups?
Has a "thumpy" sound.
I doubt one can tell the kind of pickups from listening to a record. Perhaps knowing what guitars they used at the time would be more indicative.
Quote by dthmtl3
I doubt one can tell the kind of pickups from listening to a record. Perhaps knowing what guitars they used at the time would be more indicative.

My bet is going to be with passive but this should be the best way of telling. Pickups are only a small part of the sound in this case anyway. The recording equipment and techniques of the time played a huge part in the sound too.
It's a hard thing to determine by listening to records. Try playing them instead. What you hear from somebody else playing is one thing, but the experience of different pickups is also a lot about how they actually respond to your playing. I'd say that's much more important, even.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I can hear this "thoom-thoom-thoom-thoom" sound in much of the music I find appealing.
Thought this might be due to active pups. I like it.
it's kind of hard to say because an awful lot of players will use an od pedal as a boost which sort of accomplishes a similar thing even with passive pickups. Not exactly identical, but enough that it's going to make listening for differences on records near enough futile (at least with ears like mine ).

Better idea might be looking up youtube vids. Maybe some people have made vids comparing actives to passives, without using boost pedals.

(Of course, you can use boost pedals with passives too. for super-brootalz (TM).)

EDIT: ^ are you sure that's not bass?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 27, 2015,
Def Leppard used passives, so no actives won't help get their sound. But it doesn't mean you can't get an acceptable Deff Leppard tone either
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Def Leppard used passives, so no actives won't help get their sound. But it doesn't mean you can't get an acceptable Deff Leppard tone either

agree. as i recall DL used Rockman's to record that album with a bunch of other studio magic to go along with it.
Quote by pointnplink
Still trying to determine the sound of active pups vs. passive.
Would Def Leppard's, "Hysteria" contain some examples of guitar with active pups?
Has a "thumpy" sound.

Probably not.

There's no distinctive sound of active pickups vs. passive. We're all used to EMGs being used for metal, but you need to understand that active pickups existed well before EMGs did and weren't/aren't necessarily designed to slam an amp's preamp section hard. Further, there are other active pickups besides EMGs/SDs and that NON active pickups are and have been used for metal and have a "thumpy" sound.

I have a set of Bartolini actives on a mid-70's guitar (Moonstone Vulcan) that are gorgeous. Several kinds of treble boost on them, a Varitone-like tone switch and much more. Carvin has had active preamps available for its pickups for decades, and they offer a much wider range of tonal boost and cut. They sound exactly like the passive versions of the pickups. Bass players have used active pickups for decades, too (Bartolini is only ONE of the manufacturers there), and metal isn't their mission at all.
Better yet, get a preamp and actually have some diversity in your sound and not the muddy shit that is an EMG.
Cry yourself to ash
EMGs can be a quick fix for "sounding modern and heavy" but the facti s there are so many viariables to tone, chances are you are listening to people iwth classic PAF humbuckers and think tehy are EMGs all the time. with the right rig, anything can potentially sound heavy.

now, if you dont have the right setup, yeah, throwing in EMGs may be a drastic sounding change.

me personally, i am such a nerd i would go with standard non active pickups that suit the music i play and offer the response and EQ i want, and then carefully select my amp and rest of rig.

many high gain players are switching from actives to passive. first one off the tope of my head is misha mansoor using bare knuckle pickups. sometimes a good magnetic passive pickup is going to offer better response and dynamics, but its about picking the right one.

emgs dont really have the same flavors. the flavor is pretty much....EMG.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I've got an Ibanez (V7 and V8 passives) and an Epi futura (EMG actives), the sounds are pretty close, but then both types are tailored towards higher gain.

The only noticable difference in tone that I think I would attribute to active vs passive is that when the volume and gain are set the same on the amp, the active pickups are more distorted, ever so slightly.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ