so im buying an egnater tweaker 40 head. i had two questions in regards to a cab.

1. should i buy one of the egnater cabinets or will a cabinet from another brand do the job just as well?

2. what is (generally) the difference in tone between a 1x12 cabinet and a 2x12 cabinet?

not sure if it applies her, but my band plays classic rock, punk, and alternative. i will also be using this amp for jazz band.

thanks!
A cabinet from another brand will be just fine and depending what you get may be better. I wanted a tweaker 40 for awhile but the "boxy" sound of the egnater cab it was sitting on swayed me from it...sucks because I haven't seen the amp since.

A 2x12 will give you more of a warmer sound than a 1x12. Obviously it spreads the sound wider than a 1x12 would.
1. You can use any cabinet as long as the imps match correctly and the cab isn't powered by an external source.

2. Might give more "dimension" to your sound. I think I've read that +1 speaker generally adds +3 db to volume. If you use the same speaker for both positions (say a vintage 30 and a vintage 30), you can mic two speakers at varying positions for different tones along the same sound. If you use different speakers (a vintage 30 and a swamp thang) you can have a two completely different sets of harmonics, tightness, punch, etc. in one cab.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 27, 2015,
would it be smarter to buy a $250-$300 1x12, or a 2x12 in the same price range? it seems like at that cost the 2x12 might not be so nice
Quote by Will Lane
1. You can use any cabinet as long as the imps match correctly and the cab isn't powered by an external source.

Yes, it's important to make sure your imps match. And your impedance as well...

But to the OP,

It's a BOX. A wooden box. There isn't a lot of variation amongst the various manufacturer's wooden boxes. As long as it's of reasonable quality manufacture, you will be fine. The speakers IN the box are of vastly more import than the box itself, and those are mostly a matter of personal taste.

A 2x12 will, all other things being equal, be slightly louder and generally deliver a bit more bass than a comparable 1x12.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
any opinions on the laney cub 2x12 cabinet? its only $200 new and getting pretty good reviews
It's $200 because it has crap speakers. (Celestion Rocket 50's).

There's a reason why MF sells Rocket 50's for $49.95...
Charles Darwin
Quote by jumpnjax
good speakers?

V30 clones, significantly better than the R50's.

Quote by jumpnjax
what about a used vox nighttrain 2x12?

Probably a pretty good unit if the price is right. G12H Anniversary speakers, which I'm not personally familiar with though.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 27, 2015,
Food for thought: you might consider a small amp as well, a 1x6 or 1x8, and mic that. Offers more flexibility.

That's what I ultimately did. Also, if you have neighbors/family to consider you can get a beefy tone out of that where any 12" is going to sound strange at low volume (it's "working range" volume is higher.) Think of driving a Ferrari around a golf course. Poor choice for the application (hauling your clubs).

Quote by FrettieMercury
Food for thought: you might consider a small amp as well, a 1x6 or 1x8, and mic that. Offers more flexibility.

That's what I ultimately did. Also, if you have neighbors/family to consider you can get a beefy tone out of that where any 12" is going to sound strange at low volume (it's "working range" volume is higher.) Think of driving a Ferrari around a golf course. Poor choice for the application (hauling your clubs).

This, OP, is what's known as "horseshit".

Charles Darwin
LOL

yeah 12s sound fine at lower volumes. better than smaller speakers, generally.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JBailey23

A 2x12 will give you more of a warmer sound than a 1x12. Obviously it spreads the sound wider than a 1x12 would.

A 2x12 should not give you ANY different sound than a 1x12 unless there's something different from one speaker to the other. Note, however, the following:

Unfortunately, a 2x12 does NOT spread the sound wider than a 1x12 does. In fact, it's the opposite. If you place a 2x12 vertically (one speaker above the other) that 2x12 will have the same dispersion of tones that a 2x12 will in the horizontal plane. But in the vertical plane, it will begin to beam treble beginning around 500-750Hz.

If you place the 2x12 horizontally and if you're standing above it but off-axis, , you won't get as much treble from the cabinet. This may lead you to believe the 2x12 is "warmer", but it's actually brighter if you're directly in front of it on-axis.