Hi there, im working on the song Snow Hey Oh by RHCP. one of the parts i think im having trouble with is a part i imagine a lot of people have trouble with is the inside picking on snow hey oh.

current i play it like this
down..up..down..up..down..down..up
6.........6.....4.......6...ham6....6......4

the inside picking between notes 3 and 4, i can get pretty good at like 80-85 bpm, but like practicing it for 20 minutes and going to 90 or 95 bpm, the 4th note, on the upstroke of the inside picking becomes like a ghost note, sometimes i miss it, so i guess i need to slow down again. im not really sure

the alternative picking style im seeing as possible would be using an outside picking method of

down....down...up....down...up...down...up.
6............6........4......6......ham6....6..... ..4

do you guys know by any chance the picking pattern john frusciante uses for this lick?
I have no idea what john uses for it, but I used to have to cover it a few years back.

The way I did was:

down-down-down-up---down----down-down
6.......6.......4.......6......4h6p4...6........4...

I basically sweep the first 3 notes, then come back with an up stroke then back down for the hammer on / pull off, and then do a 'sweep' (read: down strum) for the last two notes. I just lift my fingers (very slightly) as if I'm sweeping the whole time to get that 'compressed' tone.

I do it that way because it's the most economical. I would imagine John does it the same way. It makes the most sense IMO.
guitarjohn99, the pattern you're currently using is correct. I've been using the alternative pattern you gave for as long as I know this riff. By chance, while watching their video, I saw Frusciante's hand, and started observing closely in live videos. He's definitely using pure alternate picking. I tried playing it both ways. I gotta say, the alternate picking makes it sound much more like the John. It is much more difficult, and if you notice, even John can't play it 100% properly. He, too, often misses the fourth note. But if you get it right this way, and have the exact tone, you'll sound very close to the original.
You can see very clearly in this video. Skip to 00:58. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XylNBjRyOgg
Cheers!
Last edited by ameens23 at Dec 19, 2015,