Hi, i need some help with choosing pickups for three guitars.The first one is a Vintage LV100 , and i really dont like the Bridge pickup on IT, IT sounds really weak, trebly and canny. The sound im looking for is strong and growly,without much treble, but not really metal- think hard blues sound like The Soulbreaker Company, Tito and Tarantula, a bit Slash from the Snakepit era. In a word, a dirty, biker blues sound. From browsing some manufacturer sites, a BKP Black dog seems to suit me ideally, but maybe someone has a brilliant, cheaper alternative?
The second and third one are a bit trickier. I just recieved all the parts for my projects, which is a p90 reverse headstock tele with a walnut body (for me), and a single humbucker korina body tele, intended as a 18th birthday gift for my little brother. I never had any p90s, but they sound awesome to me, but i dont really hear huge differences between different models like i do with humbuckers. Is it so or i simply didnt hear enough p90s? My imaginary ideal sound on this would be similar to the Vintage, but a bit less growly and more creamy.
As for the korina one, my bro is a huge Iommi fan, so i was thinking about his sig, will it sound ok though in a korina body?
All advice is welcome.
ps. Amps used for those guitars would be a BlackheArt Handsome Devil and a Soldano 18W copy.
Vintage V100 TSB Left Handed
Partscaster Left Handed
Soldano Atomic 16 copy
Kustom Dart 10
and some other stupid stuff.
what's your budget and location (country)? where you live affects prices and availability.

no experience with korina.

p90s do sound different yeah. I don't have tons of experience with them either, but you can get underwound ones (which sound closer to regular single coils i.e. a little more fendery), overwound ones (which can be dark and honky) and then the ones bang in the sweet spot for the most accurate vintage sound (normally around PAF levels of output, maybe marginally more).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Currently in Poland, but i travel to the US around once a month and to the UK. As for the budget I'd say around 70 euro per pickup for the vintage and the walnut tele, the humbucker for the korina one i want to be really special so no real limit there.
Partscaster Left Handed
Soldano Atomic 16 copy
Kustom Dart 10
I'm not sure about specific recommendations, but 70 euros a pickup probably has you within range of the cheaper handwinders in the UK/Europe- people like oil city, catswhisker, MoJo (Northern Ireland, there's a more expensive Mojo in England as well ), jesse loureiro (spain) etc. I haven't tried them, so that's not a personal recommendation- I've generally heard good things, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oooh, Poland.
You can't go wrong with a Seymour Duncan JB.

Also, how do you travel to the US, may I ask? Do you have a job there, or green card?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Seymour Duncan Pearly gates.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I found the SD Custom 5 to be a great all around pup that should fit exactly what you're looking for.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by Fryderyczek
Oooh, Poland.
You can't go wrong with a Seymour Duncan JB.

Do JBs work best for Polish guitarists?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Korina behaves a lot like mahogany.

P90s can have a variety of tones, ranging from very creamy- like the oversized singlecoils they are- to very aggressive, like a mid/high output HB.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Do JBs work best for Polish guitarists?

They work best for everything

I', just amazed there's a Polish guy on here excluding me.

Oh, and I'm more a Dimarzio Dude
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
^^ The very low output ones I've tried even were a wee bit twangy/jangly.

^ I find the JB a bit jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. But you could do a lot worse as well.

There used to be several polish guys on here I think. But they haven't been around for a while.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a set of black dogs in a walnut carvin and there one of the best all around pickups I've ever used. They would be a good fit for what you want. I don't know what would be comparable in your price range.

And there can be a huge diffrence in p90s same as everything you just need to try every guitar you can get your hands on.
Quote by mhanbury2
I have a set of black dogs in a walnut carvin...

Ooohh, sounds nice! Which Carvin?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Seeeexxxxxxxyyy....

Just got a new p90 guitar this weekend that's even more sexy but I've already hijacked this thread enough. Hopefully I'll get to making a ngd soon.
This carvin is out of this world😊 I guess a Black dog for the Bridge in the LV100 is the one, How about the p90s for the walnut tele?any particular p90s with a similar characteristic to the Black dog,preferably a bit more "creamy"? And lastly, as for the korina one, got some extra cash to make this gift really Special,so please suggest even the most boutique and rare pickups, this one has to be extraordinary😊
And about this Travel thing, im a part of an science exchange program between some medical universities around the World, so i go there and learn How to put metal parts in People and they come here and i teach them about putting slightly different metal parts in people😊 so yes, it is kind of work related.
Partscaster Left Handed
Soldano Atomic 16 copy
Kustom Dart 10
For the walnut Tele...it already has a P90 and you want to upgrade it for a creamier sound, right? Check out this demo of one of Vintage Vibe's HB-sized P90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBPPYdHdCI8&sns=em

His standard P90s can be made to deliver that kind of tone as well. I have a Tele-clone with a VV neck pickup and Charlie Christian bridge pickup. Very good tone.

I would also definitely consider The Creamery or Lollar for P90s with those characteristics.

The Korina Tele with the single HB for your Iommi fan brother? Well, Iommi's love of P90s would lead me to recommend:

• Rio Grande Dirty Harry- a HB made by combining 2 singlecoil sized P90s in a HB housing, so that when split, it delivers the tone & sound of their singlecoil sized P90.
  • BareKnuckle Stockholm- a beefy, high-output HB-sized P90
  • RailHammer Gnarly 90- another high-output HB-sized P90, this one with a hybrid blade & pole pickup design to better accommodate drop tunings
  • The Creamery HBS P90 is another HB-sized P90 with tones ranging from smooth to growling

And all 4 of those companies have others that would work as well. I have The Creamery pickups in another Teleclone and love them. And Cathbard, another UGer, has tried the Dirty Harrys on my rec for his punked out Tele and liked it. (But eventually, he did swap it out for a different Rio Grande...which he also liked.)

Bonus info: I know RailHammers will sound good in korina- they were designed by Joe Naylor to go in his Reverend brand guitars...and all current production Reverends are made of korina.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 4, 2015,