Hi all im new here..But ive been checking these boards for a long time and I thought that this whould be the best place to get the help im looking for.

Im working on a website right now that is goin to focus on everything guitar related and I plan on having a section where I talk about the different guitar playing styles.But I never realized how hard it is to put into words what it is that makes the different guitar styles..to describe them..For exemple metal is know for its use of alote of distortion..

So im asking for your help on these guitar styles, how whould you describe them?
rock
blues
jazz
metal
country

Anything you could contribute whould be really appreciated! thanks
Last edited by EndOfFate at Feb 27, 2015,
You do realise that each of those could easily fill at least a small book, right?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Bro, to actually do this you gotta learn music theory. It's not enough to say "Metal uses a lot of distortion." A lot of the differences come from time signatures used, tempos used, keys used, modes, chord progression, rhythmic structures, etc.

You wouldn't expect guitars in a country song to play in 5/8(9/8) with a heavy emphasis on the B Hungarian gypsy minor scale, just like you wouldn't expect guitars in metal to be straight up 4/4 with a simple I IV V chord progression and some major pentatonic stuff. Like it's been said, you could fill books with this stuff.

So, if you're dead set on it, google "[insert genre here] music theory". And every time you hit a term you don't understand, google that term and figure out what it means. Rinse. Repeat. And good luck.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You do realise that each of those could easily fill at least a small book, right?

Yea I didn't thought of it that way..
Quote by soweli
Bro, to actually do this you gotta learn music theory. It's not enough to say "Metal uses a lot of distortion." A lot of the differences come from time signatures used, tempos used, keys used, modes, chord progression, rhythmic structures, etc.

You wouldn't expect guitars in a country song to play in 5/8(9/8) with a heavy emphasis on the B Hungarian gypsy minor scale, just like you wouldn't expect guitars in metal to be straight up 4/4 with a simple I IV V chord progression and some major pentatonic stuff. Like it's been said, you could fill books with this stuff.

So, if you're dead set on it, google "[insert genre here] music theory". And every time you hit a term you don't understand, google that term and figure out what it means. Rinse. Repeat. And good luck.

got ya
Quote by derek8520

hahahahahahahahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?