I'm struggling playing this barre chord. I can get the all the strings to ring out fine except the g string. Are there any hints that allow the first finger to barre all the strings? Even when I am only concentrating on the first finger and not fretting the 4th and 5th string The g string is still only mutted.
Make sure your finger is straight and stiff. A little less pressure in the middle of the finger is why the G string ends up muted rather than fretted. Just work on barring all 6 strings and really focus on getting consistent pressure through the whole finger. It will definitely be a pain at first, especially lower on the fretboard, but you'll get it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Yep, the 3rd string is usually the weak part of a barre chord for most people. Focus on putting more pressure on the middle of the finger - particularly the 2nd joint.

Also, practice the barre a couple of frets higher and work your way down to the 2nd fret if you are getting frustrated by it
Get a free copy of my eBook at Guitar Domination

If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can happen through music.
Jimi Hendrix
This is the kind of thing that will resolve itself over time with practice and awareness.

Just practice the chord everyday for a short period. Be aware of the strings ringing.

There is no magic solution. It's like riding a bike. Your body just figures it out.
Yep that's it, keep practicing and it will sort itself out along the way. Don't overdo it, but don't fret too much over it either, it will sort itself out as you practice and build finger strength. Try it a few times, go on to something else, come back and try it a couple more times. It'll fall into place with some practice.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by bigrewards
I'm struggling playing this barre chord. I can get the all the strings to ring out fine except the g string. Are there any hints that allow the first finger to barre all the strings? Even when I am only concentrating on the first finger and not fretting the 4th and 5th string The g string is still only mutted.

several things to consider...the guitar itself...have the action and nut adjusted also string gauge change may help..

how you hold the guitar..position of the neck..your left hand position..where you thumb is behind the neck..are all factors in fretting technique..the amount of pressure required to bar ANY chord should be EQUAL at all points of the fretboard if your guitar is set up correctly..that does not mean your hand/wrist/finger positions will be the same at any given point .. they will have to change to apply that same amount of pressure - which will seem more or less difficult at different parts of the neck

hope this helps
play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
..the amount of pressure required to bar ANY chord should be EQUAL at all points of the fretboard if your guitar is set up correctly..

Unfortunately that isn't true, think of a tight rope and how it sags more as the person gets to the middle even though he/she still weighs the same (exerts the same pressure).

As someone else suggested, you could start off higher up the fretboard and work down.
Also try fretting with your index finger slightly rotated as it will resist flexing at the joint that way.
Just keep practicing man and you'll get it. Took me forever too to have all the strings ring out. I mostly use and F shape barre chord ala hendrix and SRV so I can used my pinky for hammer ons, pulloffs and for suspended chords.
Thanks for all the input. I keep working at it and sometimes it is better than others.
There are some good videos on u tube how to do this chord as a matter of fact I was learning this chrod today