I use a Line 6 POD XT Live at rehearsal on on stage, along with a Marshall AVT50H head, on the clean channel, with the POD going straight into the front.

Would it be safe to run the POD through the FX Loop of the amp instead? Would I need to use the Marshall's dirty channel rather than the dirty channels on the POD?

Any advice would be appreciated
If you go Guitar>POD>FX Loop Return you'd be entirely bypassing the Marshall's preamp and going straight into the power amp. Whether you are on the clean channel or dirty channel would be irrelevant. I'm unfamiliar with the POD XT's amp models but if it has strictly preamp models you'd be able to use those in conjunction with the Marshal's power amp to have a full amplifier.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
If you go Guitar>POD>FX Loop Return you'd be entirely bypassing the Marshall's preamp and going straight into the power amp. Whether you are on the clean channel or dirty channel would be irrelevant. I'm unfamiliar with the POD XT's amp models but if it has strictly preamp models you'd be able to use those in conjunction with the Marshal's power amp to have a full amplifier.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I've read about some people saying that using any sort of gain after the pre amp stage in the amp would cause some damage to the amp.
No, that's wrong. If you put a ton of signal boost (like, an actual amp) in the loop it could blow something out, but that's obviously not what you have in mind.

Any pedal is going to be fine in the loop. Whether it sounds good or not is one issue, but you're certainly not going to break anything. Experiment away.
Quote by Roc8995
No, that's wrong. If you put a ton of signal boost (like, an actual amp) in the loop it could blow something out, but that's obviously not what you have in mind.

Any pedal is going to be fine in the loop. Whether it sounds good or not is one issue, but you're certainly not going to break anything. Experiment away.

So using the entire POD, even the amp/cab sims, effects, etc, in the loop will not damage the amp, as long as I don't have stupid amounts of signal boost/gain on the POD?
Yeah just don't crank the master volume on the POD and you'll be fine.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Correct. I don't think the POD could damage anything even if you did have it boosted to the maximum. Distortion won't damage anything, for sure.

It's going to start sounding like crap way before it breaks anything.
Using a cranked POD XT into the FX loop return will not damage anything. But having the master on the pod too high can lead to a distorted signal, but it will not damage the amp at all

I have a POD XT and use it in that way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Another option here: If you like the pre-amp sounds from the Marshall, I'm pretty sure the POD has an option to turn off its amp models and only use effects (my Digitech RP500 can do that, and it seems like it's probably a standard thing on amp modeling multi-fx units). So, if you want to, you could run your guitar right into the amp, and hook up the POD in the FX loop just like any other pedal. Then you have your clean and dirty amp channels on the Marshall, and can use your reverbs, delays, modulations and whatever on the POD just like a pedalboard.

Just another option to try out, if you feel like it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6