Hi there i am new here and i need some advise about bugera v55.
I like the clean sound from this amp and gain channel to but i have one problome
I know this is not a 5150 amp but i still am looking for advice
when playing solos on the gain channel ( gain cranked up to 10) it sounds good,
and damped single note rithm fine to, but when playing deep fifths with added eights
then its like the amp is suffocating
I tried using the clean channel just using a overdrive pedal an the amp acts the same.
any advise is helpfull.
I know this is not a heavy rock amp and i am not buying 100w stack to play at my home
Thanks
use the overdrive on the gain channel. back off the gain and use the overdrive to supplement it. try having he gain on say 5 or 6 at the most and then kick on the overdrive. i'd try the overdrive in boost mode first (level to 10 gain down to maybe 1) and see what happens. if that doesn't give you what you want then try the overdrive with the level set at perhaps 5 and turn the gain on the pedal up some.

doing this should give you a crunchy rhythm tone and then with the overdrive kicked on a higher gain lead sound.
i enjoyed my v22. good unit. gain at 10? ew.

the best thing you can do for those amps is put a 5751 tube in the first v1 position. night and day. the stock sovtek 12ax7wa tubes are garbage and produce a fizzy fuzzy mess. a 5751 will clean it up a bit and add clarity and make your gain sound clearer and more powerful. that way you can turn the gain up more without it sounding a mess. on my v22 i used to never turn the gain up cause it sounded like crap. after a simple tube swap i could easily have a more full use of the gain knob past 5-6 (where it normally was) and i enjoyed the sound.

second, experiment with the boost and the EQ settings. i did like the boost at times.

if you use the power scaling, try keeping it at max setting. it adds more punch.

lastly, that amp will need to be pushed by a good OD or boost pedal . i would go with the age old addage of find an EQ sweet spot, put the gain at about 5-7 max, probably 5-6, and then push teh crap out of the preamp with a good tube screamer or similar type pedal.

if you do thoese things, the amp may pull off a fairly acceptable metal tone. some of the heaviest music i ever played was with my v22 through a marshall 4x12 doing this.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
isaw your similar thread over at the gear page. one thing was mentioned about speakers. is that amp an open back? if it is then you just aren't going to get teh bass response of somehting like a 5150/6505 which are closed back.
Quote by braddiboy
yaeh its open in the back

not ideal for bass response for modern metal sound then.
Will i need to bias the amp fore preamp tube switch or is it just plug and play?
Quote by monwobobbo
use the overdrive on the gain channel. back off the gain and use the overdrive to supplement it. try having he gain on say 5 or 6 at the most and then kick on the overdrive. i'd try the overdrive in boost mode first (level to 10 gain down to maybe 1) and see what happens. if that doesn't give you what you want then try the overdrive with the level set at perhaps 5 and turn the gain on the pedal up some.

doing this should give you a crunchy rhythm tone and then with the overdrive kicked on a higher gain lead sound.

yeah it seems to work better putting the gain on the amp to 5 than it can handle it,
all abowe that then it will not handle it, u think changing preamp tubes will fix any thing so i can put more gain on it?
Best settings for rithm and solo is gain on the amp 5, master 9, channel volume 2,
and the power drive pedal level 5, and the gain on it 8. so far
5751 preamp tube will require no biasing. plug and play.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by braddiboy
Best settings for rithm and solo is gain on the amp 5, master 9, channel volume 2,
and the power drive pedal level 5, and the gain on it 8. so far

master on 9? you sure. try something like gain on 5, channel volume on 5 and power drive pedal level 10 gain on 2. then turn your master up to whatever volume you want. your current settings seem to be way to distorted which is why your tone has no balls it's just mush that might sound ok for leads but not on rhythm.

by the way what are tour amps tone settings?
Last edited by monwobobbo at Mar 1, 2015,
i also have a similar problem i have a v22 and i love the clean channel but not so keen on the overdrive i swopped out the stock el84s for JJs but still have original 12ax7s would you recomend changing all three and for what? i wouldn't like to lose the clean tone.
i was thinking of putting a fulldrive 2 in front of it i play mainly rockabilly and blues
no. the 5751 did very little to change the actual "tone" of the amp EQ wise. i saw the biggest change in the "gain" only. im telling you guys. yes, if it were me, i would get ALL of the stock preamp tubes out. theres only 3...so thats about 45 bucks, plug and play. no risk. if you arent comporatable or dont have the cash, the first one (furthest away from the power tubes...the bigger ones) will have more impact than almost any other tube on the amp.

a different 12ax7 may make a difference, but i saw best results with a 5751 tube. so thats about a 15-20 dollar tube.

power tubes are going to make a negligible difference unless you are running your amp at max volume and are getting power tube breakup. chances are at at a 55 watt amp with 6L6s, your not even taxing that thing. 6L6s arent really known for good overdriven sounds anyways.

in the v22 - perhaps. but still it takes a lot to overdrive any amp these days. el-84s definitely have a bit more breakup character. again, i think the best benefit for those amps is getting rid of the garbage sovtek preamp tubes. this isnt going to transform your tone, but i did fine it to be a noticable improvement for about 15 dollars.

for the record - the only 5751 i could find at the time was another sovtek. but that one was okay. i hate the 12ax7wa by sovtek with a passion. it has ruined the tone of every amp ive seen it in, and it comes stock in most amps (cause its the cheapest garbage people want to stock thier amps with to keep cost down).

i am pretty sure many companys have come out with a newer 5751 model including JJ

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/JJ-5751-Tube
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Mar 4, 2015,
so if i put the 5751 in the 1st position what would you recomend for the other two
thanks for the info
variable. off hand, its hard to go wrong with JJs. i would probably default to JJs. i have tried tung sol. ive been wanting to try mullard. but im not teh expert on the random other brands. seeing a lot of love for TAD.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
sorry but i'm new to this(1st tube amp) so would i need standard JJ ECC83-S / 12AX7 in the other 2 positions on the v22
Ok i didnt find 5751 here but changed all 3 preamps tubes for jj and the gain was a litle better but the clear sound was better and more warm to me, i dont know, maby not an amp fore heavy music but i bought a boss super overdrive to boost it up and its ok for me next i would like to connect it with extra closed cabinet with maby 4*10 speakers and see what happens then.
didnt find 5751 tubes where? are you overseas or something? i posted a link.

yeah even regular JJs should help. the key is not just a better tube, its that 5751 reduce the gain slightly which gets rid of some mudd.

yes the bigger closed cab can help. i mean, i played through a marshall 4x12 one time. it wasnt mine. i personally would invest all that money around a sub par amp. the whole point is your trying to make what you got work for you.

if you plan on buying a 4x10 cabinet new...i would probably recommend considering a new amp as a whole.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by ikey_
didnt find 5751 tubes where? are you overseas or something? i posted a link.

yeah even regular JJs should help. the key is not just a better tube, its that 5751 reduce the gain slightly which gets rid of some mudd.

yes the bigger closed cab can help. i mean, i played through a marshall 4x12 one time. it wasnt mine. i personally would invest all that money around a sub par amp. the whole point is your trying to make what you got work for you.

if you plan on buying a 4x10 cabinet new...i would probably recommend considering a new amp as a whole.

agree. clearly your amp isn't giving you what you want. no sense in investing more trying to fix the issue when the easier route would be to get a different amp.

i totally understand trying to make do with what you have or trying to find a reasonably cheap way of getting more out of it. did that for many years. thing is that you end up making compromises. may be chaeaper in the long run to just get a different amp
yeah i understand that the 5751 tube has about 30 percent less gain and cleans it up, and no i am not buying a new cab, but the clean sound was better for me as well so maby whait alitle and see but thanks for all the help, thanks allot