So i fired up my carvin v3m to jam a little and about 2 minutes it, it went from loud...to straight up anemic. about 1/5 the volume. the amps is about 6 months old with light playing, meaning mostly bedroom and a few jam sessions. i have had a tube blow and this is what happened. the layout is 4 preamp tubes and 4 power tubes.

check this one el-84 on the left. its way brighter. i tried to capture it for you guys, its a bad pic. but its glowing far brighter than the rest. did that one tube blow?

out of the box i had a bad amp. if i got another amp and after 6 months its another bad amp thats 2 strikes your out carvin. im hoping not. i mean, for a bedroom player whos amp doesnt leave the house, breaking the amp for master volume 2 playing is a discrace.

i think i may buy 4 new power tubes and cross my fingers.

Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i just ordered 4 x el84s, 24 hour burn in matched quad off tube depot.

if that doesnt work, back to carvin.

ive owned a bugera v22 for 3 years. not one issue. not even a blown tube.
owned an egnater tweaker 40 for 2 years, 1 blown tube. no issues
owned a carvin v3m for 6 months. 1 bad amp, returned. 2nd amp....hopefully just a blown tube

one thing to note - the el84s in the el 84s in the carvin are sovtek. i HATE sovtek tubes. HATE HATE them. to me they are problems.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The tube isn't "bad," but it's running hot which is bad. Same thing happened to me when I bought "matched" tubes from Guitar Center. A tech could fix it to run somewhat normally, but it would be better to replace it.

Hopefully that's your problem!
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Some tubes also burn brighter than others, usually not that much difference though. I'm not familiar with that amp, but if Carvin sets their bias a bit on the hot side, tubes might not last long. Sometimes they just don't last long anyway, most should last for years, especially under light usage

My best advice is take it to a tech and have the bias checked, if that's not the problem he can probably find out what is. When you swap tubes it needs to be biased anyway.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
that bright tube is bad .... I put tubes in my V3m to tailor the sound , but I probably get more than 10 hours of cranked volume a week along with 10 hours of low volume a week and still no problems out of my rig ..... they do need to be biased and the factory tubes aren't the greatest .... sorry to hear your having problems with yours
well yeah i have a hatred towards sovtek. in reality, i could have just bought 1 matching sovtek tube ...but my gut reaction was to ditch sovtek.

10-20 hours of player per tube change? dude. thats wayyyy low. im thinking of at least a year of steady playing? 5-10 hours a week for a year? depending on ginning or not perhaps multiple years? generally thats what i have experienced. perhaps a random tube blowing every 6 months of so but 10 hours on a tube change?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
I have only ever had a bad tube in my Fender Twin .... so I have had pretty good luck with tubes .... but for the V3m I bought some nice tubes from Doug's and got an assortment since I wasn't sure if I wanted more or less distortion , I also got a matched set of JJ's from eurotubes I haven't even tried yet plus still have the original tubes .... you do have to rebias but its real easy on the V3m .... I played loud 6 hours just today at band practice on 50 watt , master at 5 , channel 1 drive 8 and volume 3 , switch on intense .... channel 2 volume 4 with drive 1.5 with switch on thick .... clean volume on 4 , drive on 5 , soak on

but both of my Carvins , the V3m and VT 50 were Carvin floor demo's .... so who knows how many hours are really on them ??
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Mar 1, 2015,
They're cheap Chinese tubes, no? Throw a set of JJ's in it and all will be well. First try simply removing the tubes and plugging them back in. Stick the bright one in a different spot and see what it does. It could be a dirty socket but it's far more likely that it's the tube. If it follows the tube, it's the tube; if it follows the socket, it's the socket.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
nope. tried that. it follows the tube. i tried rearranging all 4 randomly. still just that one lights up.

in retrospect, i could have taken the easy way an got another sovtek and forget the biasing. well, i got JJS on order so now im stuck with a bias.

luckily, carvin has a fantastic biasing guide with picktures of exactly what to do, where to touch and not to touch, and the perfect sequence of events (ie, DO NOT do this, or make your you do this EXACTLY as written).

it makes me so confident i amy just bias myself if i can snag a multi meter
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic