hello!

what are the differences between various guitars?

unless the guitar is not crap, it doesn't squeak as you play, etc, what differentiates the different guitars?

I play for many years a cheapish classical guitar and I can tell if a guitar is bad, it squeaks and maybe the sound is not good

but what about electrical guitars? I want to buy one and I don't know how to pick one, apart from the fact that it must have humbuckers and that I want it in convenient to hold while seated shape

any help?

thanks!
The differences can be of almost anything.

Extremely broad questions get extremely broad answers.

If you want to see the differences yourself, go to a guitar store and get someone at the store to explain to you the various features guitars may have.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 28, 2015,
Different guitars are different because they're different. The differences are... differences.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
what you mean anything?

give some examples

eg. you cannot play a specific song or sound with the various guitars?
are the dimensions of the frets different?
what?
is a guitar more easy to play that another ? why is that?

aren't the fret distances standart? aren't the fingerboard dimensions standard?
Quote by guitaror
what you mean anything?

Anything. Pretty much any conceivable feature of a guitar can be different depending on the depth of how you define 'different'. Different design, different materials, different functions, different everything.

The question you asked was extremely vague, so you cannot expect to get a detailed answer. You need to give specific examples of what the differences between two specific guitars are. If you do not know the most fundamental differences between two basic types of guitars, then Google is going to be an awful lot more useful to you than asking us.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
to give you an example

I play classical guitar for years

I do my job with a 80 GBP guitar that I bought for 40 used

I don't know what a 300 GBP guitar will/can offer me more

maybe it will last +50 years? I am not interested

what else?

does it sound differently? how MUCH differently? it is a complete different instrument? I doubt. does it sound like chello? no
they are both classical guitars
the differences in sound should be minimal
Last edited by guitaror at Feb 28, 2015,
There are shitloads of stuff differing guitars, scale lengths, neck radiuses, types of wood, types of pickups, hollow body or solid body, bridge, materials of frets and a bunch of other shit that could be changed or that could go wrong.

EDIT:You also have different fret sizes(jumbo, medium etc.), different nut material, hell, probably spring gauge(Or whatever it's called) used in a Floyd/Trem equipped guitar can change your sound.

You can play anything on any guitar, nobody is going to stop you. Just some things that certain guitars have will sound better. For example, it's perfectly fine to play metal with single coils(Tony Iommi recorded half of Black Sabbath's debut album with a strat), but humbuckers will sound better.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Feb 28, 2015,
Quote by guitaror
to give you an example

what else?

does it sound differently? how MUCH differently? it is a complete different instrument? I doubt. does it sound like chello? no

If your only metric for measuring the difference from one guitar to another is whether or not they function and sound like guitars, then it doesn't matter. Just keep playing your guitar and don't worry about it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Quote by guitaror
to give you an example

what else?

Your questions are not very coherent.

The differences between one guitar to the next... depends on what the specific guitars in question are.

You're not giving us enough information to work with. Give us specific models of guitars.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by the_bi99man
If your only metric for measuring the difference from one guitar to another is whether or not they function and sound like guitars, then it doesn't matter. Just keep playing your guitar and don't worry about it.

ok, you look like the idiots who spend 50 USD to buy holders for the cables, so that they won't touch the floor and "distort" the sound...
Quote by guitaror
ok I want a guitar that's easy to play

Smells like a troll, but whatever...

That info is not enough, plus that is personal preference. What is easy and comfortable for me, it might not be easy and comfortable for you. Go to a guitar store and try out different guitars, then buy the one that feels more comfortable to you.
Quote by guitaror
ok, you look like the idiots who spend 50 USD to buy holders for the cables, so that they won't touch the floor and "distort" the sound...

I smell a troll.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I smell a troll.

no I aint
but don't deny that many "audiophiles" are actually bullshit simply because human ear CANNOT distinguish so subtle differences!
You are terrible at trolling.

0/10 -IGN would not feed again
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by guitaror
ok I want a guitar that's easy to play

ok you just don't seem to get it. ok lets put this in terms you can understand. since you played classical guitar what's the difference between a $100 guitar and a $10,000 guitar. i mean you can play the exact same music on both so there must be a difference. once you answer that you'll have your answer on electric. yes they have different features but it's not hard to compare the idea.

no guitar is inherently "easy" to play that's up to you. while i find say a fender Stratocaster easy to play for me and say a Gibson Les Paul "harder" to play someone else can feel just the opposite. only way to find out is to sit down and play some diffeent models. i do every chance i get just to try different gutars cuz maybe i'll find something that is bette for me.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

get lost, nobody needs you here
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

i don't think he's really trolling just A - english isn't his first language and B - he comces from a classical background. we have a bunch of those in my area and believe e they can be clueless outside of that.
different pickups sound different.

yeah different guitars are often used more for one style of music than others. In general, humbuckers (and especially higher output humbuckers) are used more for heavier music. (In general, there are tons of exceptions).

There are several what I'd call "classic" guitars. THey have a sound of their own, and if you want that type of tone you more or less need that style of guitar, either by the original manufacturer or by someone making a close copy, or at least a guitar inspired by that style of guitar. Strat, tele, les paul, les paul junior, es335 (semi-hollow) and jazz-style (fully hollow e.g. gibson es175) guitars are probably the main ones, at least in the classic camp. Then you have more modern guitars like superstrats and PRS which sort of blend the specs of several of those classic guitars.

best bet is to go to a guitar shop and ask to get to try different guitars. and get the salesperson to show you the differences. if that's a bit scary, there will likely be vids on youtube explaining the differences between guitars as well.

Bear in mind the amp and fx you use will also affect the overall sound you get.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo
i don't think he's really trolling just A - english isn't his first language and B - he comces from a classical background. we have a bunch of those in my area and believe e they can be clueless outside of that.

Possibly. I just find it hard to imagine a person who claims to have 'years' of experience when it comes to classical guitar, doesn't even know what the most basic features of a guitar are when comparing one to another. It just isn't consistent with his 'years' of experience.

And then he starts insinuating some accusation that I'm some corksniffer because I 'don't deny' corksniffing. That's absolutely absurd.

These things combined tick the boxes for potentially being a troll. Foreign or not.
Quote by guitaror
get lost, nobody needs you here

And you're the arbiter of who is useful on this site?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dany and monwobobboo already gave you the best advice in this thread. Go to a music store or pawn shop and play a bunch of guitars.

The one you want is the one that plays and sounds best to you.

Differences? That's like asking what are the differences in cars. Different shapes, woods, styles, necks, frets, pickups, tuners, tremolos, bridges, nuts, if you want to get picky you can go as far as differences in pickup switches and output jack locations.

Here are just the differences you can see...

https://www.google.com/search?q=guitar&biw=1366&bih=640&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=C03yVIqmJurnsASK-IHoDw&ved=0CFkQsAQ
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by guitaror

Aaaand you're just trolling. Thought so. Glad I didn't actually invest any effort in answering your dumbass questions.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
This video should explain a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8JifC74Ed4

When it comes to guitars of the same type, of course the differences are more subtle. All SSS Strats will sound like SSS Strats. But still they can sound pretty different from each other - you can still tell it's an SSS Strat, just like you can tell when somebody's playing a classical guitar, but there's still a clear difference, just like two classical guitars can sound different. Also, different models can have different kind of necks. They just feel different to play - and yes, two Fender Strats can feel pretty different.

Here are two Les Pauls, a Gibson and an Epiphone and you should be able to hear a pretty clear difference between them (the playing in the video is not the best but that doesn't matter - you can still hear tonal differences):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF5SZeaVURQ

And if you don't know what you are talking about, don't post crap like "it makes no sense to spend $50+ on a guitar because they all sound like guitars". Just go and try different guitars and you'll notice it's not just placebo. Different guitars feel and sound different and that's a fact.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 28, 2015,
from that video it sounds like the heaviest is the Gibson Les Pauls
but I have never seen a death/black metal group having these
in the second video the Epiphone with 400 sounds much better than the Gibson with 2000!
Quote by guitaror

LP's tend tto weigh the most if that counts. dude it's not just the guitar or even the amps that makes a sound "heavy". it's a combination of the two as well as fx and tunings etc. i'm more than willing to bet that there are few bands in those gneres that use a LP or at least a LP style axe. if not the so what. that's just a vid to help explain differences using some of the best know guitars. nothing to do with death metal.

dude i haven't written you off yet as a troll / moron but you are making it tough. you can't be this unimformed.

ok go into my profile and click on the link for my playing. the song Valley Of Gwangi is there give it a listen and you tell me what guitar i used for it. not death metal but fairly heavy
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 28, 2015,
Quote by guitaror
in the second video the Epiphone with 400 sounds much better than the Gibson with 2000!

Subjective. Depends what you're listening for, basically.
Quote by guitaror
which is the heaviest sounding guitar?

Guitar's don't sound "heavier" or "less heavy" than each other. Guitars that work well with high levels of distortion are used for heavier music. Usually ones with humbuckers.

I am having a hard time figuring out if you're even serious though...

Oh and for what it's worth, I need T00DEEPBLUE here. He gives good advice.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by guitaror

Plenty of metal bands that use a lot of gain use Les Pauls. They're great for that kind of sound.

Its very important to note that a massively important component of what makes a guitar sound the way it does is the amp that the guitar is driving.
Quote by guitaror

Please remember that how 'good' something sounds is entirely subjective. In my opinion Epiphone pickups aren't very good. They sound very muddy and excessively bassy.

Epiphones in general are also not nearly as well built in any respect to a Gibson LP Standard. There are some exceptions, but a typical Epiphone LP Standard isn't going to be as well built.
Quote by guitaror

There's technically an unlimited number of different tones that a guitar, combined with an amp and effects, can produce. There is no 'heaviest' sounding guitar. The question you should really be asking to yourself is what sounds great to you.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by guitaror

the only way your guitar will sound heavier is by physically making it heavier

you could do small things like adding stickers or sticking other things on the guitar to make it slightly heavier, but what works best for me is hanging weights from strings tied around the the headstock and the pots
There are way too many options. I would recommend taking your time picking out your first electric. After you buy your first one and play it for a while, you will have a better idea of what you want. Most, if not all of the different options come down to personal preference or are specific to a style of playing. Your preferences will evolve as you playing does.
If you have a budget, this should also affect your options, if not narrow them down.
Quote by guitaror
hello!

what are the differences between various guitars?

unless the guitar is not crap, it doesn't squeak as you play, etc, what differentiates the different guitars?

I play for many years a cheapish classical guitar and I can tell if a guitar is bad, it squeaks and maybe the sound is not good

but what about electrical guitars? I want to buy one and I don't know how to pick one, apart from the fact that it must have humbuckers and that I want it in convenient to hold while seated shape

any help?

thanks!

As others have pointed out. A zillion or more different things.

But you get what you pay for most of the time.

These days you can get a good new electric with decent quality for a fair price. We are not talking mid '90s or earlier anymore!

As far as selecting one go to your local stores and see what catches your eyes. Try them and your heart will eventually settle on the one. Or watch some videos on youtube, get some catalogs to get an idea of what looks you are into.

Stratocaster shape, Gibson Explorer shape, Les Paul shape, Flying V, Rhoads, King V, Kelly and of course the Telecaster + PRS shape + BC.Rich.

You can sit with most of these shapes even the pointy ones.

Basically that is what worked for me back starting pre internet around 1993. Being in Denmark in the country side does not much to your guitar awareness. I was a big fan of Metallica and I got a copy of Cliff'em'all. Also Megadeth Hangar 18 video made me aware of Jackson and Gibson models. I quickly found pointy guitars not really in stock so I had to order a Explorer, ESP KH2 and a Jackson original Rhoads US.

I found the Jackson original Rhoads to be the one for me based on having had the experience with the former guitars. And I still have that Jackson today.

My first electric was an Applause stratocaster copy with a humbucker in the bridge but it was cheap and the cheaper the more the electronics are not top end and benefits from upgrades.

But it got upgraded to an Ibanez Flying V in sunburst and that got upgraded and so forth always getting higher quality.

From $1200 and up I would say that you get fairly quality to whatever craftmanship you can afford. Like the Gibson Les Paul Studio version instance. And upgrade pickups to your liking if you don't. It would still be a kickass guitar and heavy.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Feb 28, 2015,
Quote by guitaror

Anything with humbuckers will work. "Heavy" sound is a lot more about your amp than your guitar. (Play any guitar through a Fender Twin Reverb and you won't sound heavy at all. If the amp is not capable of heavy tones, using a "heavy sounding" guitar won't make a difference.)

Black metal bands not using Les Pauls may be due to the looks - it just doesn't look "black metal".

I don't know. Maybe people prefer the feel of other guitars. The high fret access on a Les Paul is not that great. It has a fat neck when compared to Superstrats like Ibanez. Les Pauls don't usually have whammy bars or 24 frets. If those are features that you want in your guitar, you don't want a Les Paul.

Also, if you downtune, Les Pauls have a shorter scale length (24.75 in) than for example Superstrats (25.5 in). Longer scale length works better for lower tunings.

It's more about feel and certain features than tone. You can make anything sound heavy if you have a heavy sounding amp. You can also install EMG pickups (or whatever the most "metal sounding" pickup is) to almost any guitar.

When buying your first electric, pay more attention to how it feels in your hands than whether it sounds heavy or not. As I said, you can make anything sound heavy with a heavy sounding amp. And if that's not enough, you can upgrade your pickups. You just want a guitar that feels good in your hands.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 28, 2015,
stop feeding this troll. jesus.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
But I bought kibble!

Looking at classical guitars first: I own a very nice Yamaha classical back in the 1990s. It cost me @$250. Since then, I have been exposed to classical guitars that cost $8000-20,000- not my own- and the crucial differences are plain as night and day. Almost universally, the pricer classicals have better projection, better tone, better BALANCED tone, better feel, better tuning stability.

(FWIW, my findings were similar comparing my $2500 professional cello from the mid 1970s to the one my last cello instructor had that was 450 years old- it was better in every way that mattered.)

When you look at electrics, it is a bit different because you generally don't need to make structural design changes exhausted of acoustics, feeing the makers to use a wider variety of shapes and materials.

So when the other posters said you're being too vague, they mean it. I have 300+ luthiers & guitar manufacturers bookmarked on my iPad. I can find electric guitars made from traditional woods (basswood, alder, mahogany, walnut, maple, korina, etc.), "junk" woods (pine, agathis), exotics (wenge, cocobolo, etc.), and even man-made materials (Flaxwood, lucite, Kevlar, Corian, concrete, Carbon fiber, etc.).

Even the parts may be made of traditional or non-traditional materials. Nuts can be bone, plastic, graphite and others. Fingerboards can be found in maple, ebony, rosewood...or carbon fiber or even Delta Metal.

Tuners can be on the headstock or the body.

You vpcan have a hardtail or a tremolo. Then there are things like D-tunas and B-benders.

Once upon a time, you had a choice between singlecoils and humbuckers...but now there are dozens of different kinds of pickups of all kinds, active and passive, magnetic or optical. Piezoelectric.

So, look around, and refine your question.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 28, 2015,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Anything with humbuckers will work. "Heavy" sound is a lot more about your amp than your guitar. (Play any guitar through a Fender Twin Reverb and you won't sound heavy at all. If the amp is not capable of heavy tones, using a "heavy sounding" guitar won't make a difference.)

Yeah, though I would also say that once you have an amp which is capable of heavier sounds, the guitar is important- a strat with low output pickups won't really sound the same as a "metal" guitar with high output active EMGs, for example. And odds are the EMG-tone is the one you think of (or at least a lot closer to it) than the strat.

I guess what I'm saying is, you can definitely underestimate the importance of the amp, and I'd guess most guitar players do- but unfortunately then we sort of lurch to the other extreme and act like the amp is the only thing that's important, and I don't think that's true either.

If you plug a guitar with lower output pickups and then a guitar with higher output pickups into the same amp, the higher output pickup one will be more distorted at the same settings. (And also might have a tonal response which is more suitable to heavier distortion.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?