I've been looking online for a flying v and I never see them anymore. It's been years since I've seen or played one but I'm interested if anyone has any idea why they ain't seem to be in production anymore.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
still making them. places like GC don't seem to be carrying them much though (at least in stores)
Well that's not exactly what I meant. A standard used to run about 1200 at the most. If the "120" is the same old Flying V any idea why they're 2000 now!?
Shit I haven't seen one in stores since like 08.
Quote by What_is_my_name
Well that's not exactly what I meant. A standard used to run about 1200 at the most. If the "120" is the same old Flying V any idea why they're 2000 now!?

They're $2000 cause Gibson.. I'm seriously glad that I got my white V with an ebony fb for $700.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
Gibson prices went up this year and they almost completely cut off the bottom end of their line. It was supposed the help with the QC issues they were having.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by What_is_my_name

Oh that? Gibson. They've been raising prices for absolutely no reason (without quality getting any better, and in some cases, getting worse) for quite a while. They get away with it because they're called Gibson. If you want one, you just gotta deal. Or you could spend half the money and get a V from countless other companies, many of which will use the same quality parts, and be built just as well, if not better.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Well, I will say this about Gibsons: They cost alot of money but they are built like tanks. Choose the right one and you will have it for the rest of your life.
They stopped making the regular Flying V '68 a few years ago, and last year they had the Flying V 120 as a limited model - basically the same, but at about double the price of the old (at least here in Europe). Facts remain though, there are no regular production V's and hasn't been for a while.

Schecter killed their V's too just recently. Seems like popularity of the type is down, at least for the Gibson-ish versions with rounded points - can't speak for the 'extreme' V's.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR

Schecter killed their V's too just recently. Seems like popularity of the type is down, at least for the Gibson-ish versions with rounded points - can't speak for the 'extreme' V's.

Schecter didn't quite kill them off, although they did have very limited models for the last few years. Last year, I don't think there was any V in their lineup besides artist signature models, like the Jeff Loomis V.

But! They just introduced this classy ass V this year. It's beautiful. I want one.

http://schecterguitars.com/guitars/platinum/v-1-platinum-detail
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Seriden
Well, I will say this about Gibsons: They cost alot of money but they are built like tanks. Choose the right one and you will have it for the rest of your life.

This. i've got a les paul that feels like you could break down a brick wall with and all you'd get is a couple dings on the guitar. fretwork is horrid though
Reverend has their Volcano line and the Ron Asheton Vs that are nice & rounded.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/volcano/

www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/volcano-ra-fm/

www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/ron-asheton-signature/

(FWIW, the Ashetons used to come in white & black, too.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 1, 2015,
Quote by the_bi99man
Oh that? Gibson. They've been raising prices for absolutely no reason (without quality getting any better, and in some cases, getting worse) for quite a while. They get away with it because they're called Gibson. If you want one, you just gotta deal. Or you could spend half the money and get a V from countless other companies, many of which will use the same quality parts, and be built just as well, if not better.

^I tend to agree with this.

You could check out Dean. I tend to like them, others might not. I've heard some nightmare stories about some of them, but every guitar company has hits and misses. I've had great luck with the ones I have.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
i LOVE my 2000ish Gibson Gothic V. i paid $380 for it mint . fvuking kills. but i would like a second, but used they are going pretty high now. i have never found a V that felt as natural as the Gibson, i don't know exactly why, just has the mojo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
They haven't been making the '68 V's for a few years now. All of Gibson's guitars have recently risen in price considerably just because they can. Because of this, now is actually a really good time to sell a '68 as people are willing to pay significantly more for them.

I'm never selling mine since it feels far too nice to play to let anyone else get their grubby hands on it. And I'm probably not going to buy another Gibson in the foreseeable future. I'm probably going to look into other brands.

The guitar most similar to the '68's that you can buy now is the 120. And while it is a very nice guitar, its really ****ing expensive.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 2, 2015,
Quote by What_is_my_name

Yeah Gibson raised their prices by like 30% this year and got rid of most of their cheaper models.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by breadfan82
^I tend to agree with this.

You could check out Dean. I tend to like them, others might not. I've heard some nightmare stories about some of them, but every guitar company has hits and misses. I've had great luck with the ones I have.

Oh wow, there's two Dean fans on the forum now

I do like the Korean Deans. Had no issues with all four of my Dean V's aside from the output jack falling off one of my Eric Petersons.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Gibson has produced their V's on and off for quite a while now; they don't sell that many, so they produce several years' worth at a time and shut them down.

I've had a couple of V's from other builders over the years; the Gibson V never really appealed to me. I've got a Moonstone V that was built sometime in the '70's, a neck-through done in fancy woods that has a really accessible 24-fret neck. Tossed the Invaders that were in it when I bought it in favor of some Tom Andersons. Solid brass trem bridge, brass nut.
Quote by Fisheth24
Oh wow, there's two Dean fans on the forum now

How many Deans does it take to make a "fan"? I have 2, and I think Flux'd is an endorsee.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Yeah and ive had like 5
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
How many Deans does it take to make a "fan"? I have 2, and I think Flux'd is an endorsee.

I like Deans, but the new imports are pretty bad.
The USA models are great guitars, still want a Cadillac
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

The USA models are great guitars,

Yes they are.

still want a Cadillac

Yes, you do.

^ just not the 3 pickup version, those just look tacky
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Personal tastes differ.

mutant

What ever lawyer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I actually got one of the black USA 2HB versions shipped to me by mistake when I ordered that one.^

The regional Dean rep actually came to the store to deliver the correct one and ask me if I wanted to buy the black one in addition (the home office didn't want the special guitars going back to the factory for ANY reason). A combination of lack of funds and my own stupidity prevented me from doing so. I regret it to this day. And I see that black Caddy on eBay or Reverb every once in a while.

Soooo, because I'm a Steve Stevens fanboi, I'll probably settle for a Korean one (white, probably) to put a pair of raygun-etched BKP Rebel Yells into...

I love my V, but I can't think of anything on it that makes me want to go drop $2k. I'd noticed that too. Now, I don't necessarily agree there's a rampant quality problem, but I do think some of the price increases (especially the big hit this year) is unjustified and not going to be borne out by the economy in this market. If you wait till holiday season, the past couple years, they've been getting blown out at like 1/2-2/3 price. Which, imho is pretty stupid too. They should have realized by now that their price point is not sustainable and all they're doing is killing sales the first 3/4 of the year when everything's still at full price.

As far as to the WHY they're not making them much anymore, Who knows. I'd be willing ot guess though that it's at least partially due to the CEO's stated vision form a couple years ago of putting a robot tuning system on every guitar they ship out. I dig the newer version of the system now that they improved the firmware but not everyone digs it. They should have left it as an option. How does that actually relate to V production though? Headstock shape. The new system requires a PCB on the headstock that the tuners thread through. Flying V and Explorer have a different headstock shape than the Les Paul/SG. Tronical makes PCBs for the other shapes, but if sales numbers are already low, they're probably not getting the same volume discount to buy the units for v's which might make production cost higher on that model.

I'm just speculating, but it seems as plausible a theory as any.
I own a 1971 Medallion Series Gibson Flying V, that I bought in 1983. I think Gibson is over pricing them selves and their quality control isn't what it used to be. Here's a copy of the old 1970's Medallion Series Flying "V". for $4,249.00.
Gibson is going to over price themselves into extinction !!!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-70s-flying-v-stop-bar-vos-electric-guitar#productDetail