I currently have two amps that I want to play through at the same time (different overdrive pedal through each amp).

I have an ABY splitter box to do this. However, I want to be able to have all my effects going through both amps at the same time, but with a different overdrive pedal through each amp to get a nice blend of tones. Therefore, my predicament is how to set up my pedals so that:

a) I can have all my reverb, delay effects etc going through both amps
b) have one overdrive pedal through one amp and the other overdrive pedal through the other amp
c) making sure that the overdrive pedals are before the reverb, delays effects etc in the chain

If anyone can think of a way to do this it would be greatly appreciated!!

My brain is fried!

Thanks a lot.
Ain't gonna happen with that rig. If the split needs to happen before the overdrive pedals (it does) and if the overdrive pedals need to happen before the FX (you say) then you need two complete sets of FX pedals.

This is routine for a Pod X3 or HD500, because you can set up two completely separate rigs internally and assign whatever you need to and then pan them hard right and left to send to the separate amps. But with discreet pedals, you need ...well... two completely separate rigs.
Quote by dspellman
Ain't gonna happen with that rig. If the split needs to happen before the overdrive pedals (it does) and if the overdrive pedals need to happen before the FX (you say) then you need two complete sets of FX pedals.
This.

You simply cannot do what you're planning with your setup.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok thanks for the advice.

So the options would be:

1) Use one overdrive pedal instead of two
2) Run the two overdrives at the end of the effects chain after all the effects and splitter pedal (what difference would this make to the sound????)
3) Run all the delay effects etc through one amp but still only having one overdrive pedal (although would be able to run one amp clean)

Let me know your thoughts!
Put both overdrive pedals after the A/B/Y switch. Each then only goes to one amp.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
Put both overdrive pedals after the A/B/Y switch. Each then only goes to one amp.

Yes but then only one of the amps would get all the delay/reverb effects?
Is there such a thing as a dual-input, dual-output switcher/looper? And do your amps have an FX loop? If so...

You could run your two OD's infront of the amps, then the sends of both amps into the two inputs of the switcher, utilize the loops, then the two outputs of the switcher to the two returns.

Another thing you could do is just to dial in the amps slightly differently and use the same OD.
Quote by Will Lane
Is there such a thing as a dual-input, dual-output switcher/looper? And do your amps have an FX loop? If so...

You could run your two OD's infront of the amps, then the sends of both amps into the two inputs of the switcher, utilize the loops, then the two outputs of the switcher to the two returns.

Another thing you could do is just to dial in the amps slightly differently and use the same OD.

Hi,

This sounds interesting.

Ok, so both amps have effects loops. I also have a couple of pedals that have dual-inputs and dual-outputs. I'm sure there must be dual input/output amp splitters out there two?

I was wondering if you could explain that again (I've never used an effects loop so I'm struggling to get my head around it). Would be greatly appreciated! Diagrams welcome

Thanks!
I think I've got it, is the attached image correct!? The effects loop is used for the effects (assuming that I have two pedals had the start and end of the chain that have both dual inputs and dual outputs). Then the splitter is used for the guitar going into the two different overdrive pedals into each amps inputs.

If correct can anyone see any issues with it in terms of sound?
OK. You're overcomplicating it. GO back to what I originally suggested.

you want to run all your effects through both amps, different overdrive on each.

So...from the guitar you go through all your effects except overdrives. Standard pedalboard stuff. From there you go into the A/B/Y switch. From there you have two outputs, each goes to a separate amp. Run each of these outputs through an overdrive pedal and straight into the amps. All other effects are already included in the signal, going to both amps, but a different overdrive is connected to each.

amprig by Paleo Pete, on Flickr

Now all the effects are going into the A/B/Y box, without overdrive, then into the overdrive units, then to the amps.

Sorry about the crappy diagram, I'm not great at paint programs...

If that's not what you're trying to do, I've completely misunderstood your post...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Mar 2, 2015,
^Doing that will put the OD after all the other effects. So you'll be OD'ing reverbs, delays, etc.

Quote by jacko_17
That is what I'm suggesting. I'm not sure about dual-input pedals, they might have those inputs for their own mini effects loops (controlling modulation, a flanger inside of a delay, etc.) You would have to have a dual-input pedal at the start of the loop, and a dual-output at the end of the loop.

Although I'm not sure how well a pedal can take two preamp signals
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 2, 2015,
You could always try a wet/dry rig. Have one amp get one OD, and all of your "wet" effects (delay, chorus, reverb, etc.), while the other amp got just the OD. I believe if you have an ABY box right after your guitar you can do this.

Just a thought.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
You could always try a wet/dry rig. Have one amp get one OD, and all of your "wet" effects (delay, chorus, reverb, etc.), while the other amp got just the OD. I believe if you have an ABY box right after your guitar you can do this.

Just a thought.

I think that might be the best bet.

Thanks for all of your help though all the people above, especially the diagrams too
Quote by AWACS

Just a thought.

I have a tremolo effects pedal. If I was to do it this way, would I need to put the tremolo through both amps? I'd assume it might sound a bit strange if one amp had the tremolo effect whilst the other one didn't?

Thanks.
You can't put the mod fx in the fx loops of both amps unless all of them are stereo fx.

Unless of course you have two more ABY boxes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
You can't put the mod fx in the fx loops of both amps unless all of them are stereo fx.

Unless of course you have two more ABY boxes.

Ok thanks.

Think I'm going to go for putting all effects through one amp and keep the other dry. But would I need to put effects like tremolo through both? I'd assume putting the tremolo just through one amp whilst the other one is dry may sound a bit strange i.e. the tremolo signal not being as clear.
Quote by jacko_17
Ok thanks.

Think I'm going to go for putting all effects through one amp and keep the other dry. But would I need to put effects like tremolo through both? I'd assume putting the tremolo just through one amp whilst the other one is dry may sound a bit strange i.e. the tremolo signal not being as clear.

Some wet effects* do have mono/stereo in, and stereo out, so depending on what effects you have, you may be able to run them this way into both amps. If not, you could try putting tremolo into one amps, and your other wet effects into the other amp, so that both amps aren't totally dry. I will say I haven't done this, and it may be a PITA to set up and have it work well.

*Just a reminder that wet effects are delay, reverb, tremolo, pitch-shifting, phasing, etc.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Some wet effects* do have mono/stereo in, and stereo out, so depending on what effects you have, you may be able to run them this way into both amps. If not, you could try putting tremolo into one amps, and your other wet effects into the other amp, so that both amps aren't totally dry. I will say I haven't done this, and it may be a PITA to set up and have it work well.

*Just a reminder that wet effects are delay, reverb, tremolo, pitch-shifting, phasing, etc.

So from this thread I'm thinking of doing the following:

One amp with one overdrive pedal
One amp with one overdrive pedal and all wet effects (excluding tremolo, the tremolo will be ran through both amps)

I think that will work, there's only one way to find out....
Quote by jacko_17
So from this thread I'm thinking of doing the following:

One amp with one overdrive pedal
One amp with one overdrive pedal and all wet effects (excluding tremolo, the tremolo will be ran through both amps)

I think that will work, there's only one way to find out....

Mainly out of curiosity, what pedals exactly do you have?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
And what amps? Sounds to me like you are overcomplicating things. Do you actually need two amps?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And what amps? Sounds to me like you are overcomplicating things. Do you actually need two amps?

I have a Fender Deluxe and a VOXAC30. I want to use it to give a fuller tone (especially since I'm the only guitarist in the band).

Pedals are as follows:

Boss CS-3
Micro POG
EHX Pulsar
Boss Reverb
Space Echo
Sparkle Drive Overdrive
Diamond J-Drive
Boss Loop station
Buy an RM100. You can stick a Deluxe and a Vox card into it and still have another slot for something else. I play in a three piece band too and don't feel any need for multiple amps on stage.
KISS
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100