Hey guys

Im not new to setting up my guitar (although i dont have the tools to level frets etc) but something about my truss rod on my Squier CV 50's is confusing me

I know truss rods run along the whole neck, and when adjusted, the bend should be most prominent in the middle of the neck (7th-8th fret)

now when I adjust the TR on my squier, the bend starts on the 1st fret, and continues strongly till the 7th, where from there the neck starts straightening.

Basically this means I have high action on the 1st-7th fret and then normal from there on.

what could be the cause of this?
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
The bowing of the neck always begins at the 1st fret and ends at around the 12th or so. I've played some guitars that still have a tiny bit of relief just past the 12th fret, it just depends on string tension along with a bunch of other factors. But generally the neck will start straightening out around 7th fret or so. That is quite normal.

If the action of the guitar is higher on the 1st-7th fret than anywhere beyond that, then more than anything, that indicates that the nut slots are not cut anywhere near deep enough.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Nut is actually cut perfectly.

I understand that is starts at 1st fret, but what I was trying to say is that it bends ALOT at the 1st fret till the 7th fret, then straightens out completely (instead of a uniform curve, which both my ibanez and acoustic have)

basically the clearance it creates is like the truss rod is connected till the 10th fret, and the middle of the neck seems to be the 3rd fret.

attached is an image i created on paint just to give you an idea.
Attachments:
Neck bow.jpg
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Wait, according to that image, there's actually a significant rise in the fretboard past the 7th fret?

Can you confirm that or is the drawing just awful?

I think I know what you're trying to say, but what I think is happening from what you're describing isn't consistent with the drawing you've just made.

Based on what you've written, try loosening the truss rod to get the neck to bow more at the 7th fret.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 2, 2015,