Hi all - I'm a huge fender fan (I own an American deluxe stratocaster which I love using in a funk/blues project), and am thinking of getting a telecaster for a Post-metal project (in the lines of Isis, Omega Massif, Cult of Luna, etc.) I hear it's really well suited for Post-metal because of the clarity and tone etc, but I'm unsure whether to get a standard tele, then get hotter pups, or go for something like the telecaster FMT HH which comes with Seymour Duncans but doesn't have the classic telecaster tone. Or should I go for another brand around the same price range?

Any advice is appreciated
Most commonly humbuckers are used for metal. Not to say you can't but they don’t have as much 'body' for lack of a better word.

I would say to go with either a tele with a 'bucker in the bridge and still have the neck tele pickup, or a different guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Russian Circles' (right in that wheelhouse) guitar rig is a Les Paul into a Verellen/Sunn. You want a fat humbucker sound, not a jangly tele sound.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
SG's are a good candidate, they have a certain feel to them. I use a SG for stoner/doom type of that stuff.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
SG's are a good candidate, they have a certain feel to them. I use a SG for stoner/doom type of that stuff.

Yamaha SG would be tits for that.

Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You could buy ALL of those Reverends for that!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

What the heck is "post metal"? That is a new one to me. Too many metal terms. It was easier in the '80s.
Quote by Jeffh40
What the heck is "post metal"? That is a new one to me. Too many metal terms. It was easier in the '80s.

It's like post rock, but heavier Think heavy riffs plus tons of ambiance. Listen to Cult of Luna or Russian Circles.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I don't know what "post-metal" is ('after' metal? That would imply metal is no more...but I just bought a 2015-release metal album...???), but I would think the guitar wouldn't be a big factor in the equation, same as all other genres, basically.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
To my understanding in a nutshell its Shoegaze with metal influences. A lot of the Shoegazy hipster black metal bands are also close to Post Metal. Think Explosions In The Sky with distorted metal guitars and darker atmosphere.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 4, 2015,
Cocteau Twins for Satan!

I always interpreted the "post-" prefix not in temporal terms, but like in post-modernism - a breakdown of static solid boundaries and rules (song structures, keys etc.) in place of dynamic, fluid, shifting, emergent soundscapes. But that just might be me being up my own ass

So humbuckers you say. The Telecaster FMT HH is dual humbucker with coil tap. Gibson SG's are too expensive here. Second hand about 50% more than the FMT HH brand new
Quote by MaaZeus
To my understanding in a nutshell its Shoegaze with metal influences. A lot of the Shoegazy hipster black metal bands are also close to Post Metal. Think Explosions In The Sky with distorted metal guitars and darker atmosphere.

Any time you have to use five adjectives to describe something, it's not really a thing.
G&L ASAT Deluxe

Besides, everyone knows Russian Circles is a Prog-band (attach metal or rock and your fine)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
Any time you have to use five adjectives to describe something, it's not really a thing.

Its an underground thing, you wouldn't understand.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I would say a Les Paul or SG, or dual humbucker guitar would be a good place to start. I would look into PRS Singlecuts and Custom 22/24s (SE and S2s maybe). Reverend would probably a good option too. They have Railhammer pickups that I find neat but haven't tried. They have a blade and pole pieces for their pickup.

The Russian Circles guitar sound is a very loud clean amp with pedals used for distortion.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame