I've been playing guitar for about half a year now and I'm really enjoying it. I'm using a Chevy Stratocaster clone which my daddy bought around 1989. It still looks quite nice after those 25 years but I'm having some problems and I don't know what the cause is or how it could be resolved.
Whenever I play , especially on the G string, the tone sounds a little bit off. You can hear it the most when playing on low frets, for example when playing a E or A major. I went to a guitar shop and asked what the problem could be and they recommended to replace the strings. I got my strings replaced in the same shop and after that, it sounded a little bit better but it still wasn't perfect. What could be the cause of this and how could it be resolved? I've also reintonated the guitar but it hasn't helped much.

Some screens from my amplifier's tuner:
High E (fret 0):

High E (fret 1):

High E (fret 12)

G (fret 0)

G (fret 1)

G (fret 12)
It may be your intonation. What kind of bridge does your guitar has?
Assuming the intonation is correct, minor discrepancies are quite normal., and can depend on how the note is fretted, for example. Some folks go to extraordinary lengths to fix this inherent problem, using compensated nuts and even compensated frets. That only provides a partial fix, and most of us just put up with these discrepancies, and adjust our tuning and playing style to compensate.
Quote by Tony Done
Assuming the intonation is correct, minor discrepancies are quite normal., and can depend on how the note is fretted, for example. Some folks go to extraordinary lengths to fix this inherent problem, using compensated nuts and even compensated frets. That only provides a partial fix, and most of us just put up with these discrepancies, and adjust our tuning and playing style to compensate.

^This pretty much sums it up. The G and B are generally the worst culprits for sharp first and second frets, and it depends on your playing what you do about it. Some will intonate/tune to make these notes correct at the expense of higher frets if they only play cowboy chords. Some will, as mentioned, use compensated nuts and suchlike. The problem, it's worth pointing out, is much less noticeable with a wound 3rd string. Obviously that brings its own issues.

Truth is guitars are a lump of compromises and you've got to pick which compromises are worth it and which aren't.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
You could also be fretting too hard. I have a little trouble with a couple of my guitars doing the same thing, and it's not easy to remember to not fret so hard...but I try and it helps. Still not perfect, but better.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
yeah the A string on my G400 was never right, so I made the the open fret a few cents off but the entire fretboard is now in tune. 1 note for the rest being right is worth the trade out.

A regular guitar will never be truly correctly intonated. Multi-scale are your best bet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Throwing my two cents in here.....

Any chance that the nut is too high or that the strings are sitting too high in the nut (ie the wrong size)? Ive read that this can cause the notes to pitch slightly sharp especially when fretting near the nut and would explain why open notes and fretting farther down the neck are not affected.
Hmm, that nut slot height story sounds good. It looks like some strings have worn a little bit into the nut. I've made a photo of it, would you guys recommend me to replace the nut?
Last edited by Controller1337 at Mar 11, 2015,
Given the age of the guitar it could very well be the frets themselves, I'd take it to a proper luthier and get them to have a real good look at it, point out the specific issues when you give it to them and make sure they know what they're looking at and for.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It hasn't been played much as far as I know. Could 3/4 years of non-intensive playing wear down those frets that much?