Page 1 of 2
I just added a 6th pedal to the chain in front of my amp (the three in the top right of the board go out to the FX loop) and I decided to rearrange my board so that instead of having 6 plugged in at all times, I'll have just 4.

The 3 on the far left side are the end of the chain, the Drop pedal on the bottom right is the beginning. Since I use only one of the Big Muff, Metal Muff or Metal Zone at any given time, I thought I would set the board up so that I just plug in the one I need.

I figured signal deterioration would be less with 4 pedals vs. 6, so I thought it was worth the trouble. But now I wonder if repeatedly unplugging and replugging into the Big Muff/Metal Muff/Metal Zone will eventually wear down the jacks. Is that a legit concern or just kooky talk?

I guess what I'm asking is whether I'm better off having all 6 plugged in permanently, or unplugging and replugging the appropriate distortion pedal as needed.
Attachments:
Pedalboard.jpg
You have no problems plugging and unplugging, most of your pedals are pretty durable.

But seriously, why do you have a Metal Zone AND a Metal Muff o_O?!?!?!
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
You have no problems plugging and unplugging, most of your pedals are pretty durable.

But seriously, why do you have a Metal Zone AND a Metal Muff o_O?!?!?!

Cool.

Metal Zone when I'm in the mood for more of a scooped tone, Muff for dirt with more mids (dials are all out of whack in the photo from moving everything around).
Last edited by PB26 at Mar 2, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
As long as you aren't trying to jack up the jacks, you'll be fine.

What does jack up the jacks mean, never heard that before.
Quote by Will Lane
Purposely try to break them :p

Okay, I gotcha. That won't be a problem, I'm stupid careful with my gear.
Speaking of the Metal Zone, I don't know why it gets so many bad reviews. I think it sounds wicked. Nice thick tone with no fizziness, at least the way I got it set up.
So... Very... Clean....

But sure, doing so will certainly wear them out faster, but they're tough pedals and will still take a ton of abuse before you ever need to think about replacing a jack.

That said, what's the point? As long as you've got at least one buffered pedal - and I believe all of them are then it's really not going to make much difference especially if it's only an extra 2 pedals. Plus well.. You're using a Metal Zone... Losing a bit off the top end isn't really that bad a thing.
I think the Boss is the only one that isn't TB of the 3 dirt pedals.

I guess I rearranged everything because I read somewhere that once you pass 5 pedals in a chain you're really asking for it in terms of signal deterioration. Is that right or is the difference between 4 and 6 all in my head?

I guess the other question is, if I were to go back to linking all 6, is there an advantage to having the non-TB Boss as #4 or #6, or does it not matter? The first 3 are kind of carved in stone pretty much.
Last edited by PB26 at Mar 2, 2015,
1. If those 5 pedals are all hardwire bypass, then yeah your signal will not be optimal. Buffered bypass not so much but still some deterioration. True bypass your signal will be very much intact, aside maybe from some noise. I think they only pedal you have to worry about with signal loss is the MZ, but it won't be much.

2. It would probably be best last, as the other pedals wouldn't be doing their work to the tone loss from a #4 position. If you have the MZ on, you won't notice any tone loss.
For some reason I though EHX was mostly buffered pedals. Anyway, most people put buffers closer to the end, but to be honest unless you've got a massive pedalboard or you're using huge amounts of cable to your guitar or amp it's really not going to make a huge difference. Keep in mind it's generally not pedals that cause the problem (unless they've got a crap buffer) it's cable. The more cable, the most top end you lose. Higher capacitance cable also loses more top end.

Is it a bad thing? Not really. You can usually just turn the treble up slightly to compensate. Hell there are a ton of guitarists out there who intentionally use extra long cabling because they like the effect. For the most part though you're just not going to notice the slightest difference unless you're in the studio playing on very expensive gear.
Quote by Will Lane
1. If those 5 pedals are all hardwire bypass, then yeah your signal will not be optimal. Buffered bypass not so much but still some deterioration. True bypass your signal will be very much intact, aside maybe from some noise. I think they only pedal you have to worry about with signal loss is the MZ, but it won't be much.

2. It would probably be best last, as the other pedals wouldn't be doing their work to the tone loss from a #4 position. If you have the MZ on, you won't notice any tone loss.

Thanks, that is really helpful. The only other non-TB in the chain is the wah. I think I'll save my jacks and stick the MZ at the end of the chain and be done with it. Looks cooler with one row of pedals anyway. And yes, I do care what people think!
Quote by icronic
For some reason I though EHX was mostly buffered pedals. Anyway, most people put buffers closer to the end, but to be honest unless you've got a massive pedalboard or you're using huge amounts of cable to your guitar or amp it's really not going to make a huge difference. Keep in mind it's generally not pedals that cause the problem (unless they've got a crap buffer) it's cable. The more cable, the most top end you lose. Higher capacitance cable also loses more top end.

Is it a bad thing? Not really. You can usually just turn the treble up slightly to compensate. Hell there are a ton of guitarists out there who intentionally use extra long cabling because they like the effect. For the most part though you're just not going to notice the slightest difference unless you're in the studio playing on very expensive gear.

I've only got 10' of cable to pedal #1 and another 10' from last pedal to the amp. This is a little embarrassing but I don't gig -- this setup does not leave my apartment!
Quote by PB26
Speaking of the Metal Zone, I don't know why it gets so many bad reviews. I think it sounds wicked. Nice thick tone with no fizziness, at least the way I got it set up.

Thick? There is nothing thick about the Metal Zone. I find it very THIN sounding.
A Fat Sandwich is thick...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by icronic
For some reason I though EHX was mostly buffered pedals.

Hmm, turns out the Metal Muff is buffered; Big Muff is TB.
Quote by Perverockstar69
Thick? There is nothing thick about the Metal Zone. I find it very THIN sounding.
A Fat Sandwich is thick...

Maybe it's because I have it running through the mini Iommi rig of doom (TI15-112) that it sounds juicier than otherwise.
I tried one with my RA100, ultra thin, like most distortion pedals.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
TBH I think you'll be fine with having them all connected. There really won't be that much difference.

In regards to cables loosing tone: If the tone is lost, you can't add it back in with EQ. Of course, a cable won't suck but so much tone, not usually enough to eliminate all of a target frequency area. But if those frequencies are lost, they cannot be boosted with EQ gain because they don't exist anymore. Somewhat like microphone response: if they don't pick up the frequency, you can't boost them. But cables aren't usually bad enough for that to be the case, unless you have a really crappy cable D:
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 2, 2015,
Quote by Perverockstar69
I tried one with my RA100, ultra thin, like most distortion pedals.

Not sayin' it's as good as tube distortion, but when I can't crank the Laney for true tube dirt, the pedals are a decent substitute.
Hey. I have to ask, how is the digitech drop pedal? Do you like it? Is it really as practical as it looks? I've seen alot of vids on it but haven't heard a real persons opinion on it
Quote by jman99
Hey. I have to ask, how is the digitech drop pedal? Do you like it? Is it really as practical as it looks? I've seen alot of vids on it but haven't heard a real persons opinion on it

Better than sliced bread! I used to have a separate SG for C# tuning and I compared the tone to an identical SG in standard tuning dropped 1.5 steps with the pedal. Drop pedal sounds better! I go from standard to D# to D to C# to C in one night of playing so this pedal is easily the best $200 I've ever spent.
These are all plugged in all the time.
If its on my board, its plugged in.
Yeah its a little *messy right now, but it quiet and no tone suck.
But many of them have been modified, mostly for noise reduction (Basically replaced carbon resistors with metal film), or modded because I felt like it.

Empty spaces...Bottom row, left was a Digitech Hardwire TL-2.
Top row middle was a Boss DD-7.
Traded those (And a few DVDs I didn't really care for) for a Sanpera II for my Vypyr 30.
I didn't use those 2 pedals much anyway.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 2, 2015,
I think you're getting your wires crossed a bit here (terrible pun totally intended )

More pedals won't necessarily decrease your signal quality and in some cases more may actually improve things (if you don't have any buffered pedals for example, and you add a (good) buffered pedal, that will generally help).

what are your pedals?

Far as I can tell, you have:

deluxe big muff (true bypass)
metal muff (buffered)
metal zone (buffered)
digitech drop (true bypass)
sonic research tuner (true bypass)
3 TC pedals (true bypass)

crybaby of some kind? Which one? Different ones have different bypasses and I can't tell for sure just looking at the top of it.

EDIT: I dunno for sure but I'd be inclined not to want to continually plug in and out a pedal either. It depends on the pedal and how rugged its design is, but I can't imagine constantly unplugging and replugging will be doing it any good, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 3, 2015,
All correct, except the three TCs are separated off into the FX loop in the back of the amp. Last night I did some testing with the Deluxe Big Muff -- with just the Drop in front of it vs. 4 pedals in front, and I did notice the tone was a little darker with 4 pedals in front.
which model crybaby is it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cry Baby Original, GCB95. Box says "heavy duty bypass switch," which I imagine is code for non-TB.
Nice board! I dig your efficiency with the modulation and time fx section of your board. But I'd suggest you'd be better off swapping the 2 Muffs and MT2 for a specific fuzz you get along with and a good distortion pedal. You wouldn't need the Metal Muff and Metalzone if you had one good, versatile distortion. This would free up room (for a looper) for a boost/overdive pedal that not only adds its own sounds to your palette, but also turns a fuzz pedal into a "deluxe" fuzz pedal. Most boost pedals get along great with a Muff, imo. More sounds, more versatile, more pedalboard real estate to put shiny boxes of noise. And a looper
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I do like the Deluxe Muff though I'm probably going a little far with two metal pedals. If I had to choose it would be the Metal Zone but I'm going to try a few others to see if I can get what I like about both in one box. The MXR Dime looks cool.
If I'm not mistaken, which I might be, all Electro Harmonix are buffered bypass.
I know for a fact though, that all TC Electronic Pedals are True Bypass (I'm a huge TC fan). You should see my one pedal board. I need to take a bus to get from one side to the other ;-)
Putting together a new board at the moment, just with the key essentials:
Wah, Boost, Chorus, OD and Delay (two of which will be TC, like I said, love those pedals.)
I think it looks good what you have. I would leave out the Boss Metal one though. Stick with the Muff, has a darker, stronger tone.

All-in-all: Nice setup!
Last edited by jackmiddlemiss at Mar 4, 2015,
Quote by PB26
Cry Baby Original, GCB95. Box says "heavy duty bypass switch," which I imagine is code for non-TB.

LOL

yeah it's half-assed.

Stick one of your buffered pedals (either the metal zone or the metal muff) in front of the crybaby in the chain and see how that improves things.

If it improves things a lot then it might be worth considering getting a buffered pedal to put in front of it (or it might be handier just to get another wah which isn't half-assed, unless you really love the tone of the crybaby).

Quote by jackmiddlemiss
If I'm not mistaken, which I might be, all Electro Harmonix are buffered bypass.

nope most are actually true bypass I think, though a few (including his metal muff) are buffered.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jackmiddlemiss
I know for a fact though, that all TC Electronic Pedals are True Bypass (I'm a huge TC fan). You should see my one pedal board. I need to take a bus to get from one side to the other ;-)
Putting together a new board at the moment, just with the key essentials:
Wah, Boost, Chorus, OD and Delay (two of which will be TC, like I said, love those pedals.)
I think it looks good what you have. I would leave out the Boss Metal one though. Stick with the Muff, has a darker, stronger tone.

All-in-all: Nice setup!

Thanks!

I checked the EHX website and it lists the Metal Muff as buffered, but the Deluxe Big Muff as TB.

http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-big-muff-pi

http://www.ehx.com/products/metal-muff
^ i went and checked the ehx site before i posted above. it's amazing how knowledgeable you can look if you have the wit to realise that you don't know and just go and check.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
LOL

yeah it's half-assed.

Stick one of your buffered pedals (either the metal zone or the metal muff) in front of the crybaby in the chain and see how that improves things.

If it improves things a lot then it might be worth considering getting a buffered pedal to put in front of it (or it might be handier just to get another wah which isn't half-assed, unless you really love the tone of the crybaby).

nope most are actually true bypass I think, though a few (including his metal muff) are buffered.

Yeah I'll give that a try, thanks.

Only reason I got the Cry Baby was that it was on sale!
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i went and checked the ehx site before i posted above. it's amazing how knowledgeable you can look if you have the wit to realise that you don't know and just go and check.

The Googles are a wonderful thing indeed.
^ yeah and
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is at about the point where I began to pull some of the pedals off the board and put them in a box. Eventually that's turned into two and a half of those big flap-top bins jammed (neatly) with pedals. The spousal unit asked, just the other day, what I thought all those "little music box things you're not using" might be worth. Uh Oh.
Page 1 of 2