Poll: Which one should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should I buy?
ESP LTD EC-401 FM
8 44%
B.C. Rich Mockingbird STQ
10 56%
Voters: 18.
Hello community!
I want to buy a new guitar because my actual Fender Squier isn't enough for me, so I actually have two options that I chose

The first one is an ESP LTD EC-401 FM for 530$
The second one is a B.c. Rich Mockingbird STQ for 600$

I just have a bare knowledge about guitar specifications so I came here asking for help
So...
Which one is the best one and why?
Thanks!
On principle I generally say get the less pointy one so you'll regret it less later, but the Mockingbird is actually a pretty nice looking guitar, and more to the point, while sharing features with the ESP, has a (much) nicer neck joint, passive pickups which I think are generally a safer bet if you haven't got a quality amp and easier to replace if you want to change, and all those lovely switches. Someone with a better idea of build quality may want to correct me, but that's my two cents or so.

If this hand position looks comfy to you, get the ESP
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 2, 2015,
The BC Rich is a really fine guitar and well worth the money. neck thru and has a ton of tonal options. the fingerboard is on the wide side so be aware of that. takes a little getting used to.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
On principle I generally say get the less pointy one so you'll regret it less later, but the Mockingbird is actually a pretty nice looking guitar, and more to the point, while sharing features with the ESP, has a (much) nicer neck joint, passive pickups which I think are generally a safer bet if you haven't got a quality amp and easier to replace if you want to change, and all those lovely switches. Someone with a better idea of build quality may want to correct me, but that's my two cents or so.

If this hand position looks comfy to you, get the ESP

While I was investigating I found out that the Mockingbird is less cleaner sounded than a LTD-EC. But the Mocking have more guitar functions (and it's better good looking) and the LTD have a buzz sound that disturbs.
Quote by Nickesho
While I was investigating I found out that the Mockingbird is less cleaner sounded than a LTD-EC. But the Mocking have more guitar functions (and it's better good looking) and the LTD have a buzz sound that disturbs.

i think you'll the clean sound of the BCR to be fairly decent. i have an Eagle and while certainly not as clean sounding as my strat it does just fine.
I have the STQ. It has a somewhat beefy, Les Paul like nature to it , and has a deep honky sound through my Hotrod Deluxe III. Very good classic/hard rock guitar. My only real gripe with it is that the bridge doesn't allow for very low action. Definitely not a shred guitar at heart, but it is very nicely built. I like to use the bridge for rhythm and the neck for lead work as I feel the neck pup is a tad muddy with chords. But those will be replaced once college is paid up.
I overall can't say which one is objectively better (ESPs in that range have a very nice reputation). What kind of music do you play and what drew you to these two options? What is it you want that can't be gotten from the Squire?
Last edited by OroborosYinYang at Mar 2, 2015,
Quote by OroborosYinYang
I overall can't say which one is objectively better (ESPs in that range have a very nice reputation). What kind of music do you play and what drew you to these two options? What is it you want that can't be gotten from the Squire?

I mostly play heavy metal, alternative metal, progresive rock and alternative rock...bands like System Of A Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Muse, Nirvana, etc.
My Squire is a 21 fret guitar with a tremolo (the only advantage of my guitar), the two tone knob and the volume one aren't working at all and also the guitar pickups are too basic. The sound isn't good at all and I really want to improve it because I think that I deserve something better now that I'm a better guitarist (I'm not sayin im a pro, neither a noob haha).
Quote by OroborosYinYang
My only real gripe with it is that the bridge doesn't allow for very low action.

Definitely not a shred guitar at heart, but it is very nicely built.

A guitar that doesn't allow for very low action is not very nicely built.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A guitar that doesn't allow for very low action is not very nicely built.

It's perfectly playable, just not what most people would refer to as shredtastic.