I was looking at buying a new guitar at some point in the future, but I get super uncomfortable playing around complete strangers. That and ZZounds has it for 100$ less than all the other places I've seen it.

So I just wanna know whether or not it would be a horrible idea to buy a guitar without playing it. It's an Epiphone if that helps.

Also has anyone used ZZounds pay as you play system? If so how is it?
Thanks.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Mar 2, 2015,
Yeah zzounds is a good place, I've ordered $1000's in gear from them over the years. They have a good return policy so you should be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sometimes, what you want isn't where you live, so your only choice is buing without trying.

Most of my gear has been purchased via the phone or Internet. I just make sure there is a good return policy when doing so. So far, so good. ZZounds should be legit.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I am a lefty guitar player, so I have to rely on my gut feeling a lot of the time, because I don't have a luxury of options when It comes to buying a guitar.

If you know the exact model etc etc, you can look up some demos on Youtube most likely.
Yes some demos have decent gear, but it at least shows you what the guitar is capable of.

Good luck
And I +1 the above, ZZounds is pretty legit.
I've done it, but only when I absolutely can't get the guitar I want locally. I kind of like to make that connection with the instrument first.

If you wait for a holiday, Musician's Friend has some decent sales. You may have to call in to get the discount, but it can be worth it.
Play as many instruments with the supposed qualities of the guitar you're looking to buy to get a feel for it, or if you can, play a model somewhere-- friend's house, store, etc. Then I don't see too big a reason why you couldn't buy online, just don't get salty if it's not what you thought.
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

A lotof the online shops have pretty good return policies on new & used gear for that very reason! Most do the 30 day thing and give instructions how to return if necessary. Look into it...If all that trouble though is to much of an opportunity cost to you, I'd do your best to find what you want by starting in and working your way out through stores...
P.S. Getting an Epiphone never helps! Go for the real Gibson!!
I bought several amps and guitar from Zzounds and it has been great so far. Overall, I believe you might have to do minor adjustments. Certain brands do a good job in setting up their equipment in the U.S. (Schecter, higher-end Epiphone models, etc.)

I've bought three Epiphones from them. My Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic came setup just the way I liked it. I also got an Epiphone Masterbilt Acoustic/electric, now that one did require some loosening in the truss rod to get rid of fret buzz. But that might be because acoustics are more sensitive to humidity changes. The last was a thunderhorse explorer which I didn't end up liking at all for some reason, body felt too weird on me lol. So I returned it but I had to pay shipping (well at least they don't tax the guitar purchases from them).

Which model are you buying?
i have done it more often then guitars i have played. I have never gotten burned yet. If you buy from a good online shop and are buying a good brand you are safe. There are horror stories out there but ZZsounds is a reputable place, you will be fine.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by CageTheGates
I bought several amps and guitar from Zzounds and it has been great so far. Overall, I believe you might have to do minor adjustments. Certain brands do a good job in setting up their equipment in the U.S. (Schecter, higher-end Epiphone models, etc.)

I've bought three Epiphones from them. My Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic came setup just the way I liked it. I also got an Epiphone Masterbilt Acoustic/electric, now that one did require some loosening in the truss rod to get rid of fret buzz. But that might be because acoustics are more sensitive to humidity changes. The last was a thunderhorse explorer which I didn't end up liking at all for some reason, body felt too weird on me lol. So I returned it but I had to pay shipping (well at least they don't tax the guitar purchases from them).

Which model are you buying?

The Robb Fynn signature baritone V. Still note sure if I want it though, it looks a bit 'much' for me. http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEGRF

I would be using it for low tuned metal Slipknot, Machine Head, and whatever I can play from Cannibal Corpse. I'm also worried that a baritone would sound super different from a normal downtuned 6 string. Do you guys have any advice on that?

EDIT: Never mind, probably gonna buy this ibanez http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAMTM20?siid=131446&gclid=CI6RwJCljcQCFc9ffgodTkQAAA
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Mar 3, 2015,
Baritone should be better for the low tuned stuff. The rule of thumb is, the lower you go, you want to aim for a longer scale length for the guitar neck. That is why bass guitars have a 34" scale length.

It looks like both are setup for B standard, so it is just a matter of neck preference. I believe Arch Enemy's album Burning Bridges (mainly B standard) was recorded with a Gibson Les Paul (24.75" scale) and an ibanez (25.5"scale). So you can probably get away with any guitar.

As far as those two guitars, I would just pick the most appealing one visually. You also have to decide between the Edge III tremolo bridge vs. LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar.
Quote by CageTheGates
Baritone should be better for the low tuned stuff. The rule of thumb is, the lower you go, you want to aim for a longer scale length for the guitar neck. That is why bass guitars have a 34" scale length.

It looks like both are setup for B standard, so it is just a matter of neck preference. I believe Arch Enemy's album Burning Bridges (mainly B standard) was recorded with a Gibson Les Paul (24.75" scale) and an ibanez (25.5"scale). So you can probably get away with any guitar.

As far as those two guitars, I would just pick the most appealing one visually. You also have to decide between the Edge III tremolo bridge vs. LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar.

Actually the Ibanez has a set bridge, not a trem. I think I'm gonna go with the Ibanez though, I would look ridiculous playing the epiphone.
Not to mention you will have miserable resale on the epi if you ever wanted to sell it. The Ibanex is the better choice overall. However if you are going for a seven, I'd get an Agile from Rondomusic.com or even better a humble Carvin build if you can afford $1100-1200 for a 7 (<1000 for a 6).

EDIT why does the Ibanez have "SEVEN" for the inlay if its a six string?
Last edited by JGM258 at Mar 4, 2015,
Quote by Cheeseshark
Actually the Ibanez has a set bridge, not a trem. I think I'm gonna go with the Ibanez though, I would look ridiculous playing the epiphone.

I bought a cheap used bass to learn on -- Fender Skull Bass with a large skull and crossbones graphic on the body and skull and crossbones inlay at the 12th fret. Took it to church. They thought it was ironic and cute. Said the skull looked a bit "chipmunk-ie" (no lower jawbone).

Guitars with are fashion items, and the more extreme you get into whatever fashion it represents, the sooner you'll find it out of fashion and silly. Try to talk your girlfriend into big hair with a headband and one of those big-shouldered jackets from "Working Girl". Show up for work looking like Sonny Crocket from Miami Vice. Friend of mine had his guyliner tattooed on. Hope he never has children.
Quote by JGM258
Not to mention you will have miserable resale on the epi if you ever wanted to sell it. The Ibanex is the better choice overall. However if you are going for a seven, I'd get an Agile from Rondomusic.com or even better a humble Carvin build if you can afford $1100-1200 for a 7 (<1000 for a 6).

EDIT why does the Ibanez have "SEVEN" for the inlay if its a six string?

Each member of Slipknot has a number assigned to them and Mick is #7. A little gimmicky but I like everything else about the guitar and its way less cheesy than the other one.
I think it's easier to buy blind than a lot of people say. I researched the crap out of the Agile AL-3000s before getting one, interrogated youtube for hours, found every and any varying opinion I could on the thing and decided to buy it 'cause it sounded like I would like it and I love it.

I did the same thing when buying a gun, and that worked out too.

Got crazy lucky with my bass... Bought it from some college kid for $100... Neither of us had played for more than a month or so... Turns out I landed a $700 Carvin kit bass and it plays niiiiice.
Agile AL-3010SE Goldtop
Carvin 4-string kit bass
Stradivarius copy cello
-><-