I am in a symphonic death metal band, something like fleshgod Apocalypse and Septicflesh. We record and mix our own songs and we've been doing a pretty good job. I would appreciate if someone with better knowledge than mine could give me some tips on fitting the orchestra (which is done with several kontakt libraries and rendered to an audio file) inside the basic metal mix (guitars, bass, drums, vocals).
Quote by guitarpro2play
which is done with several kontakt libraries and rendered to an audio file
Mix everything together with the rest of the tracks instead of working with an audio file alone.

Maybe you'll need to take some mids out of the cello's, maybe you'll need to take some low end out of the double basses, maybe the flutes will sound piercing but the violins just right...

Don't work with already bounced groups, work with everything and decide what to change accordingly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Mix everything together with the rest of the tracks instead of working with an audio file alone.

Maybe you'll need to take some mids out of the cello's, maybe you'll need to take some low end out of the double basses, maybe the flutes will sound piercing but the violins just right...

Don't work with already bounced groups, work with everything and decide what to change accordingly.

I used to do that, but it's a bit tricky to have the entire orchestra inside your metal mix, mostly because it would require a massive ammount of ram and time to load all the instruments together along with the superior drummer and it's also a bit tricky to mix, i think
Split the orchestra into several stereo files if you can't use full midi, say strings, brans, percussion and treat separately.
Listen to Dimmu Borgir as to how to do it, they had the Chech Philharmonic on one of their CDs.
It is mostly panning, eq and time effects (verb). You can take out a lot of the orchestra with eq for your main instruments to poke through and it'd still work.
Basically lower the orchestra with eq in your main frequency zones, mildly compress,add some convolution verb to the whole and use wide stereo image. Usually in those situations you can mix guitars touch lower and it'd still work, think Epica.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 3, 2015,
This is less technical advice, and a tad more objective- but please don't mix the symphony too high. If I have one complaint about metal bands that use symphony, it would be that the symphony is almost always too high in the mix, to the point of the guitars barely being audible. Sometimes Fleshgod Apocalypse just sounds like a symphony and a drummer to me.

Post the outcome on here when you guys are finished, always interested in hearing material compared to Fleshgod and Septicflesh haha.
Quote by Zan595
This is less technical advice, and a tad more objective- but please don't mix the symphony too high. If I have one complaint about metal bands that use symphony, it would be that the symphony is almost always too high in the mix, to the point of the guitars barely being audible. Sometimes Fleshgod Apocalypse just sounds like a symphony and a drummer to me.

Post the outcome on here when you guys are finished, always interested in hearing material compared to Fleshgod and Septicflesh haha.

Great. Will definitely post it in Promote your Band seccion!