Hi guys, .. I'm about ready to buy my first guitar. I'm going to stop in to a place and try a guitar they have in stock.. I anticipate I'll want it,.. BUT I anticipate I'll be buying a floor model with some dings. (I have no problem with dings,.. they make it look like I know how to play.)

Do you ask for a discount with dings and scratches. It's a recording king RD-126 listed for $519 which is a few bucks less (I think it usually goes for $550 or so). If I want it I'll want to be prepared to just buy it on the spot,.. so I was just wondering what you guys do when you're buying a lightly dinged guitar? If you say 'nothing' .. because I'm going to put my own dings in as soon as I start playing,.. that makes total sense.. but I think I've read otherwise on here and I just want to know what you guys think.

The store owner is a friend of a friend so I don't want to be a jerk. I just want to be smart. Or at the very least, not very stupid. (just a little stupid.. my usual .. )
A scratch or ding on the guitar is great leverage for haggling. I'd take advantage of it.

I'm sure your friend understands that when you're buying the guitar new at the full price, you'd expect it to actually be new and presented exactly how the manufacturer intended. As a salesperson, it would be unreasonable to not appreciate that. You can argue that it's a very slightly used guitar, because all guitars that are played in a store technically are (to a point) and the damage is physical evidence of your claim.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 3, 2015,
Thanks! That's what I thought. And yes, a floor model is "used".

So I guess on a $550 guitar .. I should ask for $50 bucks off?
Depends on the extent of the damage.

The trick to haggling is lowballing first, like $450 (don't take my word on that amount though, how much you should request to pay is down to how extensive the damage is and your own personal judgement), then the saleperson will most likely ask for a higher amount, and then agree to split the difference and shake on it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 3, 2015,
I wouldn't pay more than 500 for it.

Like above, I'd start with $450 and go from there.

I paid $1000 less for my guitar because it was more or less the equivalent of a floor model, as far as custom handmade's go.
My God, it's full of stars!
Right,.. he listed it for $519.

I was thinking that once I decide I like the guitar I pick a strap and a case that I'll need anyway,.. and ask if he can let me pay $450 for a floor model. Hopefully he'll see that $69 I'm asking for coming right back to him. (If only I was half as smart as I think I am..)
i dunno, not to mention vendors, but one place i know will give $100 off a $500 guitar, another i place i looked at offered $50 off a flawless floor model with a free set-up, your probably paying tax too, i would want a substantial discount myself with scratches or dings
I bought a $200 floor model guitar for $175 and they threw in a gig bag and electronic tuner. I didn't try to haggle though. The guitar was near mint, only 1 very tiny scratch on the soundboard(about 1/2 inch). I would agree that $450 would be fair offer. Make sure you get them to include a good set-up. You would think a demo model would already be set-up well but that wasn't the case with mine. I had to file the nut slots and adjust the truss rod.
Quote by Stevuke79
Thanks! That's what I thought. And yes, a floor model is "used".

So I guess on a $550 guitar .. I should ask for $50 bucks off?
In reality, $50.00 is 10% off the guitar. On a $500.00 item, you could get up to 15% off, simply by calling Musician's Friend during one of their coupon sales.

That's for brand new, in a box.

Now, where does that leave your negotiations?

And remember, should you say, "I want the one I played", that puts the dealer right back in the driver's seat...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 3, 2015,
It depends on the extent of the damage, like these guys have said. If there's actually real dings in it, or little cracks in the finish, or noticeably worn hardware, then yes, a discount is most certainly expected. If the only "damage" is those tiny little hairline scratches from rubbing against cloth, that you can't even see without the light shining on them just right, and a few grubby fingerprints, then no. That's not damage, and you'll do the same to it yourself after a single playing session.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by rohash
I bought a $200 floor model guitar for $175 and they threw in a gig bag and electronic tuner. I didn't try to haggle though. The guitar was near mint, only 1 very tiny scratch on the soundboard(about 1/2 inch). I would agree that $450 would be fair offer. Make sure you get them to include a good set-up. You would think a demo model would already be set-up well but that wasn't the case with mine. I had to file the nut slots and adjust the truss rod.

Thanks ROhash, I'll use that number to start! ($450)
Quote by Captaincranky
In reality, $50.00 is 10% off the guitar. On a $500.00 item, you could get up to 15% off, simply by calling Musician's Friend during one of their coupon sales.

That's for brand new, in a box.

Now, where does that leave your negotiations?

Right,.. that's true.

I'm curious, were you only making a point for perspective.. or do you think I should consider buying online to save another 5%-10%?
(because you got me thinking about it.. Just want to know if you'd suggest it for a beginner.)

And remember, should you say, "I want the one I played", that puts the dealer right back in the driver's seat...

Thank you!

It's funny you say that.. I could totally see myself saying that because in the moment it sounded smart. (If only I could think of all the stupid things I might say in advance.. but at least we can cross that one off!! :lol
Quote by Stevuke79
Right,.. that's true.

I'm curious, were you only making a point for perspective.. or do you think I should consider buying online to save another 5%-10%?
(because you got me thinking about it.. Just want to know if you'd suggest it for a beginner.)...[ ]...
Well, I have virtually no choice but to order online, I'm left handed, and play left handed. The average home town music store will normally have one left handed, (electric), guitar in stock. It's usually a black Squire Strat.

With that said, I bought 9 guitars online, and was forced to return one due to a defect. After that experience, I changed my supplier to Musician's Friend. Part of that is because they still use UPS as their shipper.

If you know what you want, online is the preferred method. Usually no sales tax, (there are exceptions), free standard shipping, liberal return policies.

If you like being pandered to, and coddled, "Sweetwater" is the place for you. I like to pick up the phone, do the deal, and be left alone afterwards, so M'sF it is. And in spite of online being arguably easier, you should always take advantage of the large dealers 1-800 numbers, AND CALL IN YOUR ORDER! In fact, don't worry about being spammed, and sign up for email, particularly from Musician's Friend, as their sales are generally percentage off across every item in the store. But you have to call.

Those things said, there are always going to be a lot of people that say, "you have to buy the guitar you've played". While there are differences between guitars of the same models, the difference in room acoustics, string alloy and condition, and even the player, or where you're sitting in reference to him or her, can make a world of difference. So, unless you're going to spend the big, big, bucks, on an instrument, dial the phone, and say, "gimme one of those". Even if you get something truly hideous sounding or looking, the major online retailers give you 30 days to get yourself out from under it!

And BTW, I still believe you're over thinking this. It should be easy to get 10% off throughout much of the year, and still be buying new.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 5, 2015,
heres my take, your already the victim being the consumer, i was at my store with my nephew, previously talked to the manager and offered $200 off spending $1k and $100 off spending $500- so the taylor 214CE i looked at ($999) was for $799- the other yahama was $100 off, actually i ended online getting a washburn i really liked,- anyway- this guy was there when i was with my nephew looking at a $1600 martin, the girl clerk was there that day- he bought the guitar with -0- off, no set up, she pulled out a new box, opened it, he looked at it, then rung the sale up with tax- the guy was already out $250 before he left the store, my nephew bought a used one, alveraz acoustic electric, probably 25 years old with a some scratches and a rather DEEP dent on top, impatience cost him $160 for that thing, id tell the guy, i got a super price on a new one online, think about it and call me with your best price- whole thing is, they are as anxious to make the sale as your are to buy it, they just conceal it better
I would be looking for a decent discount, maybe 20-25%, but I would also be asking myself why it hasn't sold sooner. Buyer beware.

I've bought acoustic guitars online, with mixed success, from awful to brilliant, but I would rather pay a fair bit extra for one I can try, all else being equal.
I would chime in here and add, since it sounds like you haven't bought a lot of guitars, try not to get wowed by the impending purchase and locked into a mindset of "I must have this." Think beforehand and figure out what you think is reasonable to pay and after whatever haggling you're going to do, try not to go over that. There's plenty of other guitars in the world. I'm very fortunate in that the shop I prefer to buy from (even though they're kinda far away) my sales guy takes real good care of me and has even on occasion pointed out shop damage to me and offered upfront to come down on price. Makes it real easy for someone like me who, like you, does not like to get "tough" with people.

A local mom and pop shop like that, they maybe don't move so many guitars each month. I would figure what YOU think is fair given the condition, try not to beat them up too much if it's nothing. It may help you build a good relationship with the sales guy if you want to upgrade down the road. It's really not your problem how the store does and I agree about not overthinking things, but if you don't walk in there acting like they owe you something, they'll be less likely to write you off as a problem customer who doesn't generate any income for them. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Just try and get a fair deal.

Actually the last time I walked into said store to buy a guitar (it wasn't an acoustic), I grabbed my sales guy and showed him a printout from an online retailer of what I was looking for and very simply just asked "Hey, I want one of these. Can you beat this price any?" He kind of laughed under his breath and said "Easily." Had to order it in, but he said he'd have them pick me out one with a nice top (they did, it's gorgeous) and they did their usual inspection and whatnot on it when it got to the shop.