Hey all,

I've been running my home recording studio from my main desktop, which I'm happy with. I recently changed jobs and I no longer need my laptop for work.

I want to be sure I'm using all of my resources effectively. Any ideas on how to incorporate a second computer into my setup? I do have my DAW on both systems, but I actually can't think of any real benefit. The laptop is touch screen.

I'd love any input you guys might have.
You could use the touch screen laptop as a control surface for the DAW on your desktop. Apps like Splashtop will allow you to mirror the computer screen over a wireless network to the laptop, or you should be able to connect it in some way to use it as a second display. Very useful if you're on a program like Pro Tools, where the mixer is in a separate window - you can keep it on the laptop and utilize its touch display to increase workflow.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Maybe touchscreen to draw fader moves but honestly can't see much use....keep it for browsing and keep the recording PC offline as much as possible.

There were promises for software that can stretch processing between machines but so far AFAIK very little has been done and is mostly buggy.
Great idea. I am interested in using it as a second display. Do you know if Splashtop or another program would allow that to happen? My understanding is that remote desktops simply mirror the desktop. Any way to use a program like that to make a de facto second monitor?
you cant make a second monitor with the laptop.
most(if not all) laptops don't support video in, they only go out.
so you could hook up you laptop to your home computers monitor and have a second laptop display, but it wont work the other way around.

i hope that was semi clear.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
you cant make a second monitor with the laptop.
most(if not all) laptops don't support video in, they only go out.
so you could hook up you laptop to your home computers monitor and have a second laptop display, but it wont work the other way around.

i hope that was semi clear.

I know I can't do it with a cord, but I'm not convinced it can't be done via software. In fact, I am finding that there are programs that will allow a laptop to receive a video signal from another computer via wireless. I don't know if Splashtop can do it, but it looks like Maxivista can. The question is whether you can then extend the desktop like you can with a dual monitor setup.

I'll update if I can get that working. Thanks for the ideas, guys.
Quote by JohnnyStarlight
I know I can't do it with a cord, but I'm not convinced it can't be done via software. In fact, I am finding that there are programs that will allow a laptop to receive a video signal from another computer via wireless. I don't know if Splashtop can do it, but it looks like Maxivista can. The question is whether you can then extend the desktop like you can with a dual monitor setup.

I'll update if I can get that working. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

but then that's not duel monitors that's displaying your PC on your laptop using a program.

you wont be able to make the screen wider this way, you will just be mirroring the same thing on 2 screens and that would seem pointless.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
but then that's not duel monitors that's displaying your PC on your laptop using a program.

you wont be able to make the screen wider this way, you will just be mirroring the same thing on 2 screens and that would seem pointless.

I can see you don't want to take my word for it. Enjoy: http://www.maxivista.com/laptop-as-a-second-monitor.htm

Diabolical, that's a good note. I'll check that out. Do you use a tablet or phone in your setup?
Johnny - not at this point. I got a drawing tablet at the time to do the fader automation and haven't gotten one yet as I added more monitors to my setup (my laptop takes 2 external monitors).

This is one of the apps that do DAW control:
http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/
Quote by JohnnyStarlight
I can see you don't want to take my word for it. Enjoy: http://www.maxivista.com/laptop-as-a-second-monitor.htm

Diabolical, that's a good note. I'll check that out. Do you use a tablet or phone in your setup?

based on how well their site works i'm sure it will do wonders.
good luck with that one.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Update: SpaceDesk works flawlessly for this. One installation on the main computer and one on the secondary computer. Now I'm running the laptop as a second monitor. Thanks for the recommendation!

And the_white_bunny, thanks for your support in the meantime. You're an asset to the home recording community.
anything to help.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by JohnnyStarlight
Update: SpaceDesk works flawlessly for this. One installation on the main computer and one on the secondary computer. Now I'm running the laptop as a second monitor. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nice. I'm gonna have to check this out. If it works well enough, maybe I'll pick up a little Dell Venue 7 or something and use it to touch control plugins. I have a control surface, but it'd be way better to literally touch everything - the control surface requires you to map all kinds of stuff, which has made me less than excited to use it, especially when I switch between programs often
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Home studio B room in the closet. Two clients at once. Boom

But no, really, the second monitor sounds like the best plan, and the wireless is very cool. Does the touch screen work well with faders in the DAW? I was tossing around the idea of a touch screen for that a while back.
I can't speak for some of the other software, but if you use SpaceDesk to make your laptop a second screen, you will be unable to manipulate the software from the laptop. It works the same way as connecting a second monitor and extending the desktop; the first computer controls both screens.

I'm still looking for a way to get the best of both worlds.