I was looking at getting an Orange Micro Terror because I need a portable amp that I can carry on a train, and was wondering how it compares to the Fender Mustang ii for anyone who has used them, obviously the mustang is going to be more versitile when it comes to sound because it is a modelling amp, but as far as simple sound, is it going to be able to stack up, or is it more of a novelty item like the Marshall Micro Stack. I've heard many good things about the amp, but i haven't heard much of a comparison to my fender and it would help me decide where it stands because im familiar with the quality of a fender mustang. Normally judging by the size of it, and the simplicity of it, i wouldn't think it would come close, but people are comparing it to amps that are better than my mustang so I'm kind of lost at where in the amp jungle this tiny little thing stacks up to. So in short, which is generally better, the Mustang II or the Orange Micro Terror. Thank you all.
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.
The Micro Terror would require you to have a separate cab so it will probably be bigger than the Mustang. Where does the majority of your tone work happen? Pedals? Rack effects? What genres do you play?

If all you really need is amplification and maybe a touch of grit, then the MT would be good. But the majority of your tone work will have to be in pedals or elsewhere, the MT does not boast much else beside amplification.

If you need the modeling aspect of the Mustang, then use that. If you have to use on-board delays, reverbs, etc. then the MT just won't do that, but the Mustang will. Arguably though, the Mustang will sound probably thinner and less natural than the MT.
What is your problem and what do you wanna do exactly?

'cause there may be better options.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Will Lane
The Micro Terror would require you to have a separate cab so it will probably be bigger than the Mustang. Where does the majority of your tone work happen? Pedals? Rack effects? What genres do you play?

If all you really need is amplification and maybe a touch of grit, then the MT would be good. But the majority of your tone work will have to be in pedals or elsewhere, the MT does not boast much else beside amplification.

If you need the modeling aspect of the Mustang, then use that. If you have to use on-board delays, reverbs, etc. then the MT just won't do that, but the Mustang will. Arguably though, the Mustang will sound probably thinner and less natural than the MT.

I use effect pedals for everything I do. I am mainly looking for a good amplification sound that I can beef up through my pedal board. with the mustang, I hardly use the modelling on it, unless I'm adding slight reverb because I don't currently have a reverb pedal yet, but I was looking to add to my pedal board anyways, cause I like the option of changing my sound without having to mess with the amp. I feel its more flexible, and instantaneous. I play a lot of metal, but for the band I want more of a rock tone, like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Paramore, MCR, and others around that feel.
I see like this, It's better to tell yourself you're not good enough, so you always try to get better and better, rather than to say you are good enough, and not improve. You're never good enough, and in that way, you'll be the best.
I've played the Mustang III and it's not great really, cleans are alright but it distorts if your guitar output is high, personally go for the Micro terror and a small cab, probably be more expensive but will sound much better
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by Spambot_2
What is your problem and what do you wanna do exactly?

'cause there may be better options.

I am looking for a good amplifier that is portable. I currently play through a 40 watt Mustang II. I'm joining a band, but to save on gas since the practice space is 30 min away, I am taking a train. Therefore, I am looking for something compact to carry on the train, but I don't want to compromise sound quality. There are several reasons I am looking at the MT based off of what reviewers are saying about it.

-It is very Portable
-It is a Hybrid amp, being a tube powered Pre-amp, and a Solid state power amp vs the solid state Mustang.
-It is a Head, and not a combo, meaning I can use a small cab for band rehearsal, and a larger one possibly to gig, bringing me to my next point.
-Many people say that it is gig worthy for small gigs, and even medium sized gigs if you mic it. (idk the reputability of that statement since I have never tried to gig with this amp.)
-It has a Headphone Jack, so I can Practice in my apartment.
-It has a AUX jack to play to my music

One of the downsides that I have been hearing are that is is a "one trick pony" because it has no on board effects, but as I said above, I use effects pedals for everything, so that isn't much of a deterrent for me.

So far It seems perfect for my situation, However, I am unsure if the sound quality is up to par compared to my Mustang, because I would rather haul my mustang than playing though a junky sounding amplifier. I currently have a Marshall MS-2 I bought just cause it was a neat paperweight basically, but obviously it sounds crappy. I have seen reviews stating that this amplifier although is small, is good enough to keep up with the big boys, and possibly better than some of the lower end big boys. Although I have also seen reviews like this

"Clearly the internet is full of posers but I am not kidding when I say this is the most overrated amp of all time. If you simply fashion your typical 25 dollar 10-15 watt practice amp with a quarter jack it will smoke this thing...I know, I have done this many times. This amp is not good in any way except for the exceptionally cool design and freak factor. This is a toy. I PROMISE it is in no way loud CERTAINLY NOT gig able, cannot be played with a drummer and most of all allows for no tone shaping what so ever..it's a cute noise machine and nothing more, Tinny and shrill seriously hard to listen to. A true waste for any player. There are outstanding real amps, especially used, in this price range so DO NOT BUY THIS for a player. DO BUY IT for an Orange enthusiast that already has a set up to play as a fun gift. I have to say again, I have never seen the consensus so tilted and so wrong on anything. This is a real life "Emperor's New Clothing" phenomena."

and that is kind of making me have second thoughts about it.

So I am just trying to get to the nitty gritty of where this amp actually stands, and trying to get some people to compare it to the one I already have so I have something to use as a reference.
Super champ xd? They are pretty cool from what I remember. They are cheap too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Super champ xd? They are pretty cool from what I remember. They are cheap too.

Is it better than the microterror?
Quote by dyl shermanator
I am looking for a good amplifier that is portable. I currently play through a 40 watt Mustang II. I'm joining a band, but to save on gas since the practice space is 30 min away, I am taking a train. Therefore, I am looking for something compact to carry on the train, but I don't want to compromise sound quality. There are several reasons I am looking at the MT based off of what reviewers are saying about it.
Get a decent combo and keep that in your practice space, a vypyr tube 60 is gonna cost you less than the micro terror + a decent cab.

If you can't leave stuff in your practice space then get something of the sorts of a pod so that you can plug it directly in the PA system (assuming the singer is plugged in a pa system).
Quote by dyl shermanator
It is very Portable
Though you need a cab with it.

If you can leave the cab in the practice space then getting a vypyr tube 60 is gonna get you a better sound for the money, and if you can't then know that a decent cab + that head isn't gonna be much easier to bring around than a 1x12 combo.

No the 1x8 orange paired cab isn't gonna sound good unless you're planning on not playing any rock or metal.
Quote by dyl shermanator
It is a Head, and not a combo, meaning I can use a small cab for band rehearsal, and a larger one possibly to gig, bringing me to my next point.
A small cab isn't gonna sound much quieter and it's gonna sound a lot smaller, so you'll want a bigger cab in any case.

When playing live you need to be mic'd up unless you're playing for around 30 or less people in a relatively small space.
It's not a matter of volume, it's a matter of how things sound in different parts of the room, and guitar cabs have dispersion patterns that would make a sound engineer in the '60s burst into laughter.
Quote by dyl shermanator
Many people say that it is gig worthy for small gigs, and even medium sized gigs if you mic it.
Define how an amp is gig worthy to you please.
Quote by dyl shermanator
It has a Headphone Jack, so I can Practice in my apartment.
It's gonna sound bad if you do that though.

Guitar speakers color the sound a lot and if you skip them you're gonna get a sound that doesn't sound much like a guitar.
Quote by dyl shermanator
It has a AUX jack to play to my music
This is gonna sound bad for the opposite reason as before - since guitar speakers color the sound quite a bit, if you add them to already mixed music the sound's not gonna be pleasant.

I mean you could play with an EQ and make things sound acceptable, but there are simpler and more convenient ways of playing along to your music.
Quote by dyl shermanator
One of the downsides that I have been hearing are that is is a "one trick pony" because it has no on board effects
Most amps don't have fx on board apart from reverb.

The lack of fx isn't the reason why it's called a tricky pony, the reason's that it doesn't sound much good and the tone stack is composed of one knob only.
I personally don't see that as much of a problem - I didn't like how my amp's EQ worked so I added a switch to disengage it, so lack of control is a problem for amps that don't sound good enough imo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
So bottom line, what is better, a Micro Terror, or a Mustang?
OPdid you look at the SCXD? It is better than the Mustang, and different than the micro terror.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/