Hi,

I've been practising the sweet child o mine solo and its going well except for one tricky blues lick (the one that starts at 3:31 and repeats a few times). I can play it at half speed ok but when it comes to full speed it just falls apart. What are the best methods for building speed with licks like this?

Ps. I sat down and played it slow for over half an hour but have noticed only minimal, if any, improvement.
It takes a while to get it up to speed if you don't already have "good" enough technique. I'd recommend that you slow down the certain section you're struggling or in your case just that one particular lick. Practice it slowly over, and over again don't worry about the other sections just focus on that one thing you're struggling with. Over time you should be able to get it up to full speed, but don't just slow it down practicing it sloppily. Pay attention to everything you're doing, and make sure that you are practicing that lick at a fairly challenging, but capable speed which you can do it at.

Over time you'll be able to have it up to full speed at no time. Remember that building technique has to do with muscle memory so you're basically training your fingers what to do, and they memorize all the the movements that you're teaching them. So if you're doing a lick really sloppily your fingers are going to remember that from a previous day. Spend at least 2 minutes through 5 minutes on that certain section you're struggling with on a daily basis. Then continue to practice the song at whatever speed you're doing while incorporating the section you are struggling with.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Ok thanks a lot for the response.

No problem, mate just remember that it's a journey. There's no rush as long as you put in the work you'll be rewarded with gains in your guitar playing. A lot of people feel as if music is some sort of sprint when it's more of a marathon. As long as your patient you'll complete your goals.
Here's a method I have had some success with.

Whatever you are trying to increase your speed on (a lick, a scale run, etc.)...

1) Start slowly at half your top speed. If you can play the pattern correctly at 100 bpm, start at 50 bpm.

2) Practice the pattern the first day with a metronome or backing track at 50 bpm until you get tired or lose focus. This could be 5 - 10 minutes. If you have GuitarPro, put the lick into it and use it to gradually increase the tempo.

3) The next day increase the speed by 2 bpm to 57.

4) Keep increasing the bpm by 2 per day until your form begins to deteriorate. Be aware of when you start to lose it and go to step 5.

5) The next day drop the bpm by 10 and start climbing again.

6) Keep repeating this process until you reach your target speed.

7) Have patience and keep at it. Proficiency at one pattern does not mean proficiency at all patterns so you will have to use this method to increase your speed on different patterns you want to use. It therefore makes sense to have a limited number of shed runs you use.
Thanks for the method. Fortunately for me, it's not full shred just fast blues so show it should be easier.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
Thanks for the method. Fortunately for me, it's not full shred just fast blues so show it should be easier.

No, that is not right. You do it the same way. You work the speed up gradually no matter what you are playing.

There is no magic pill. Patience. Enjoy the journey.

"Ps. I sat down and played it slow for over half an hour but have noticed only minimal, if any, improvement."

Think about your statement above. Are your expectations reasonable?
Last edited by Virgman at Mar 5, 2015,