i've been trying to become a better guitarist to jam with, so yesterday i was playing around with the ii-V-I progression when i happened upon a sound that i've always wanted to figure out but never spent time to figure out deliberately. my ears know it as a chord substitution used to end a jazz song...i think i first heard it on a Barney Kessel track, but i don't remember which.

anyway, i want to know if there's any interesting theory to know about it, or if it has a name.

Dm7 - G7 - G#-6/9 (??)

in case i got the chord names wrong, here's what i was playing:

----------------------------------------------------------
----8---6-----5---3--------4---------------------------
----5---------4------------3----------------------------
----7---------3------------3----------------------------
----5----------------------------------------------------
--------------3------------4---------------------------
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Mar 3, 2015,
It's Ab 6/9, not G#.

That's just a bVI chord, a common deceptive resolution. I wouldn't necessarily call it a sub for I, but it can certainly replace the I chord.

The reason I wouldn't necessarily call it a sub is because it will throw off the soloist, most subs are not something the soloist has to listen intently for to avoid playing, well, badly.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
thanks! not exactly a sub, makes sense to me.

i'm familiar with the concept of deceptive cadences, but since this one goes outside of C major i was wondering if there's something else going on that i could explore further.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Yeah, most people stop at the V - VI deceptive cadence.

Other popular ones are:

bIImaj7

bIIImaj7

IIIm7

#IVm7b5

bVImaj7

bVIImaj7

bVII7
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp