Hey there! So, I was thinking of buying a cheap cable to connect my guitar to my laptop to have some fun recording stuff with Amplitube or a similar program. Nothing too serious, I just want something to mess around with and get sound effects that I couldn't get with my cheap amp (because programs like Amplitube have all that pedal options and stuff).

I saw this cable, "the t.bone usb 1G" - http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_usb1g.htm

What would be the sound quality that I would get if I plugged it directly to my laptop? As I said, I don't want anything with professional quality, just enough quality to have some fun and something that doesn't makes my ears bleed.
Never tried the product, but I would expect some latency (delay) given it is USB. Might not be an issue unless you are doing precise playing.

For the price you might as well go for it. For software I would highly recommend Reaper. You can't beat it for the price, either.

For free Audacity is an awesome program, but offers nothing in terms of multitracking, that's not really what it's for. You can add a zillion (real number, by the way) effects that way, too.

I like having the laptop option as it allows for practice with different softwares, and of course UG. In terms of quality, really as long as you can hear it and it aint distorted, like in a bad way, you should be able to use the cable at least for songwriting and practicing.

I'd buy it!
Quote by FrettieMercury
Never tried the product, but I would expect some latency (delay) given it is USB. Might not be an issue unless you are doing precise playing.

For the price you might as well go for it. For software I would highly recommend Reaper. You can't beat it for the price, either.

For free Audacity is an awesome program, but offers nothing in terms of multitracking, that's not really what it's for. You can add a zillion (real number, by the way) effects that way, too.

I like having the laptop option as it allows for practice with different softwares, and of course UG. In terms of quality, really as long as you can hear it and it aint distorted, like in a bad way, you should be able to use the cable at least for songwriting and practicing.

I'd buy it!

Thank you very much for the answer and the suggestions, they were pretty helpful! Well, I guess I'm going to get it then
An unbranded guitar link will yield better results and it will give you more options.

Yeah reaper's free trial lasts forever.
I would argue for $200 Logic is a much better deal, but it mostly boils down to preference.

Amplitube and guitar rig sound bad, you might wanna head to the recording section and have a look at the amp sims sticky.
I personally recommend LePou's stuff, Ignite Amps' Emissary and the softube amp rooms.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
An unbranded guitar link will yield better results and it will give you more options.

Yeah reaper's free trial lasts forever.
I would argue for $200 Logic is a much better deal, but it mostly boils down to preference.

Amplitube and guitar rig sound bad, you might wanna head to the recording section and have a look at the amp sims sticky.
I personally recommend LePou's stuff, Ignite Amps' Emissary and the softube amp rooms.

Thing is, that is the only one that I've found that is compatible with Windows 8. Other unbranded guitar links are only compatible up to Windows 7.

Thank you too for the suggestions, I'll do some research on the software that has already been mentioned and then choose the one that I like most. I'll start with Reaper, since the free trial lasts forever.