Page 1 of 4
Do you consider yourself to be spiritual? A definition (yours may differ)
Quote by wikipedia
Spirituality is a process of personal transformation, either in accordance with traditional religious ideals, or, increasingly, oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth independently of any specific religious context.

I recently have decided to delve more into the world of meditation and other spiritual practices.

Do you believe your mind is different than just your brain? Do you think the two can be separated?

Discuss. I think there is enough to discuss.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Mar 3, 2015,
Yes, I would say I'm a good bit spiritual, even though there's a War on Spirituality in this nation (and everyone likes to lump up the word 'spiritual' apart from religion with 'superficial, New-Age hippie' for dumb reasons).

I believe in a lot of shit, and like to be mindful/meditate, among other things, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9b4FbGlVSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc
Last edited by Fat Lard at Mar 3, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by Fat Lard
Yes, I would say I'm a good bit spiritual, even though there's a War on Spirituality in this nation (and everyone likes to lump up the word 'spiritual' apart from religion with 'superficial, New-Age hippie' for dumb reasons).

Superficial obviously is hurtful, but does new-age offend you? Can you explain in what way you are spiritual?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I went to a spirituality church once for a journalism project, and it was the weirdest experience ever. I don't think I would do it again.
Quote by WaterGod
I went to spirituality church once for a journalism project, and it was the weirdest experience ever. I don't think would do it again.

What did they do there?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Superficial obviously is hurtful, but does new-age offend you? Can you explain in what way you are spiritual?

I have beliefs that are not empirically-tested and proven, I suppose

I believe in some metaphysical stuff like fate/destiny, things you'd expect from a Paulo Cohelo book like Brida or The Alchemist. Just as a kid getting lost/thinking I'm forgetting/missing something, but being content/non-anxious that I'd get found again/'things would work out in the end'.

I'd like to believe in Karma. If not as factual certainty, as bad stuff weighs in on your conscience and sends out unconscious signals (maybe not to 'the universe'), but to others to want to wrong you.

Maybe there's 'auras' and that'd be cool. There certainly are 'energies' people give off, so it doesn't seem too farfetched, just for the simple reason that we can't 'completely' sense it.

idk shit about New-Age philosophy, apart from the goons one would label as followers of it [obnoxious, super-judgemental (even moreso than me! omg) people at organic food/health shops - type, I suppose]
There's a buttload of other loopy shit I haven't/simply cant touch on, as it'd be impossible unless we were camping out eating magic mushrooms or w/e

and yeah, reading philosophy stuff and trying to get to that top-o-the-pyramid Illuminati self-actualization thing.
it definitely depends on what you mean, or how you define it. I'm not religious in the slightest, don't believe in any forms of spirits/ghosts/life energy or whatever.

I think that consciousness that we posses is pretty fvcking amazing, and that forms of consciousness/thinking are almost spiritual in a way. Our brains are a vast collection of nerve cells firing electric signals at each other, and this electrical maze somehow creates thoughts, can hold memories, and do crazy shit like imagine things. Its a remarkable thing, and I think that it is spiritual in a way. If you consider someone's "spirit" as their life energy, then their thoughts/consciousness are surely a manifestation of that energy

Or you can consider spirituality to mean being connected to all other things and the universe, which I definitely feel
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22
it definitely depends on what you mean, or how you define it. I'm not religious in the slightest, don't believe in any forms of spirits/ghosts/life energy or whatever.

I think that consciousness that we posses is pretty fvcking amazing, and that forms of consciousness/thinking are almost spiritual in a way. Our brains are a vast collection of nerve cells firing electric signals at each other, and this electrical maze somehow creates thoughts, can hold memories, and do crazy shit like imagine things. Its a remarkable thing, and I think that it is spiritual in a way. If you consider someone's "spirit" as their life energy, then their thoughts/consciousness are surely a manifestation of that energy

Or you can consider spirituality to mean being connected to all other things and the universe, which I definitely feel

I had a quote in OP that I found half decent. I didn't mean a religious way per sé, unless that is the way in which you experience it. Good post.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
What did they do there?

They talked less about the bible and more about Symbolism and Truth and skepticism and stuff in the sermon. I honestly wasn't sure what they were talking about, and I was even writing down everything they said. We also did meditation instead of prayer which seemed to involve sitting in silence for what seemed like 10 minutes. I don't know, it was weird for a christian church.
Quote by Fat Lard
I believe in some metaphysical stuff like fate/destiny, things you'd expect from a Paulo Cohelo book like Brida or The Alchemist. Just as a kid getting lost/thinking I'm forgetting/missing something, but being content/non-anxious that I'd get found again/'things would work out in the end'.

Yeah I was thinking about fate and destiny earlier on. Some things seem to fall into place perfectly. The rational part of my brain just attributes it to coincidence though. And you force your own luck.

Quote by Fat Lard
I'd like to believe in Karma. If not as factual certainty, as bad stuff weighs in on your conscience and sends out unconscious signals (maybe not to 'the universe'), but to others to want to wrong you.

You reap what you sow.

Quote by Fat Lard
Maybe there's 'auras' and that'd be cool. There certainly are 'energies' people give off, so it doesn't seem too farfetched, just for the simple reason that we can't 'completely' sense it.

People do give up some kind of energy, but what kind of information do you think we can extract from that?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Mar 3, 2015,
Quote by WaterGod
They talked less about the bible and more about Symbolism and Truth and skepticism and stuff in the sermon. I honestly wasn't sure what they were talking about, and I was even writing down everything they said. We also did meditation instead of prayer which seemed to involve sitting in silence for what seemed like 10 minutes. I don't know, it was weird for a christian church.

Do you not do meditation yourself? Did it make you uncomfortable? Obviously I suppose most if not all cults just speak mumbo-jumbo, but still it has an effect on people if they can relate to it in some way I suppose.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Meditation does have some scientific/neurological background to it, at least in the developing of stronger brain pathways related moreso to empathy/perception/emotional intelligence. That 2nd link I posted with Jon Kabat-Zin goes into it better (though his other work in neurology/linking Eastern spirituality with the West is pretty cool)

A cool thought I feel strongly of in certain mindsets (and a bit paraphrased from Bill Hicks):

We did not stop being The One after The Big Bang, and we're all just The Universe subjectively experiencing itself
You definitely make your own luck/reap what you sow. Some might have it easier than others to do so, but yeah, I still think you have to make it ("luck")
Quote by metal4eva_22
When your brain is damaged your mind is also damaged depending on the area that was damaged. Therefore you are your brain. Sorry guys, there's no magic.

Thank you for stating the obvious.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Fat Lard
Meditation does have some scientific/neurological background to it, at least in the developing of stronger brain pathways related moreso to empathy/perception/emotional intelligence. That 2nd link I posted with Jon Kabat-Zin goes into it better (though his other work in neurology/linking Eastern spirituality with the West is pretty cool)

A cool thought I feel strongly of in certain mindsets (and a bit paraphrased from Bill Hicks):

We did not stop being The One after The Big Bang, and we're all just The Universe subjectively experiencing itself

Meditation is certainly a very real and useful thing
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Neo Evil11
Do you not do meditation yourself? Did it make you uncomfortable? Obviously I suppose most if not all cults just speak mumbo-jumbo, but still it has an effect on people if they can relate to it in some way I suppose.

If it involves sitting around in silence for like 10 minutes by myself then I guess I do.
That's not entirely true, though. There's been enough studies on the nerve-endings/etc to suggest that we really do have a second mind in our gut ('gut feelings', anyone?), and the whole hormone thing from our sex organs affecting how we think/act.

dat Center

Quote by Neo Evil11

I recently have decided to delve more into the world of meditation and other spiritual practices.
smh, you're all the way gone now.
The metaphysical aspects of it are mostly bullshit. Everything is the work of your brain and your brain alone.
But the brain is awesome and can do awesome shit, so it's still useful to try and do that weird awesome shit anyways (meditation, etc).

Sadly I don't do that. I don't find many reasons to do it at the moment to be honest, don't see what benefits I could be reaping that would improve my life so much if I did so. For instance I don't currently live with stress, nervous breakdowns, etc.
Though I still know meditation (and some other activities/behaviors) can give you a better life. I guess.....meh.

I don't want to force myself through all the bullshit stuff to get to the good parts, like trying to convince myself that my chakra is one with the universe or some shit.
Quote by seanlang01
smh, you're all the way gone now.

Explain
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
hearing "spiritual" and all other forms of the word make me immediately stop listening to whatever a person's saying.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
hearing "spiritual" and all other forms of the word make me immediately stop listening to whatever a person's saying.

Why? What other word would you prefer for these things (assuming you say this because of religious misuse of the word)?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why? What other word would you prefer for these things (assuming you say this because of religious misuse of the word)?

hippie shit

i mean, let's just call it what it is.

mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Well, you know, as humans make more scientific breakthroughs/paradigm shifts, things that were once thought to be the metaphysical/'magic' become more known and 'real' to us. I read a really interesting reddit post not too long ago from a medieval scholar that was talking about how taken for granted science/philosophical ways of thought are, and how something as simple as the temperature changes were hard to fathom outside of anything that was 'magic'.

We already know that other animals have more heightened, even completely foreign senses that we aren't consciously aware of every single day, and that stuff like sensing magnetic fields was just TMI/unnecessary for our survival for our brain to make us aware of.

Its like when you're sitting in a room people-listening, and you can just subconsciously feel the energy rising all over as people get louder. Sure it may be as simple as others having to talk louder when the environment gets louder, but idk man! Feels like there's more to it (possibly). heheehe
Quote by jakesmellspoo
hippie shit

i mean, let's just call it what it is.

You think meditation is hippy shit?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
You think meditation is hippy shit?

is fire hot?
is ice cold?
does the wind blow?

ok, for a serious answer: i've just experienced a lot of people talking about and practicing "spiritual" things to be very haughty and pretentious about it all. kind of like those "life coach" jackasses.

my high school German teacher was cooler about it and we'd do meditation at the beginning of class without acting like we were on some higher plane of existence because of it.

i mean i use meditation/breathing exercises on a daily basis to help with anxiety. nothing spiritual about it to me though. just trying to make my heart feel like it's not going to burst out of my chest and i'm not gonna hyperventilate.
Quote by Fat Lard
That's not entirely true, though. There's been enough studies on the nerve-endings/etc to suggest that we really do have a second mind in our gut ('gut feelings', anyone?), and the whole hormone thing from our sex organs affecting how we think/act.

dat Center

I know what you're on about, like the feeling that you're being watched, or that something bad is going to happen, or something isn't right

I think its probably more likely to be your brain picking up on things subconsciously, like catching a shadow out of the corner of your eye ect, than anything else. That subconscious "uhhh somethings wrong here" feeling is again, very real
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Page 1 of 4