this happens too often. i have the 144 portastudio (first portastudio they made i think, either way its OLD) and i don't know what to do. it stops when i turn it off then back on.....sometimes...... I'm not sure if it's worth trying to fix or if i should just get a better one. Any advice on how to fix it would really be appreciated!!
What is humming? Could be a bad cable or the actual unit? Anyways if it records, it won't pick up the hum will it? Why the hell are you using that anyways? I have a 244, the better version of the 144, I use it as a 4channel mixer, it has great EQ and effects sends. I do occasionally put a tape in there though, sounds warm and analog...but a bit of a pain to do stuff.
tape drive motor perhaps. i dunno may be time to retire that and get with the modern age.
the unit itself, its like shaking and making a weird humming noise. i bought it cus it was only $50 (every other 4track was overpriced or worse) and seemed decent enough from the videos i saw of it. i was originally gonna get a 424 but the one i wanted sold before i could get it, so im just gonna save up for a 488 or 388
i like analog waayyyy more than digital though, especially for the type of music i play (lofi/shoegaze). ive been able to get pretty good sounding recordings with it, the humming's the main thing that's bothering me with it
Quote by cowboy_jones
if i have it paused it doesn't make the noise, so maybe monwobobbo said

if it only makes the noise when the tape is running then it's either the motor or the tape guide wheels which can get squeaky after a while.
I've got a 244 that I still use occasionally as a mixer - but the cassette? Are you crazy? You've got a computer so why would you want to record using a cassette?
Keep it for the mixer but forget the tape. Can you still even buy cassettes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Worn motor, worn belts, worn rollers. They were designed to last 10 years and tha is 30 yrs old. It could be fixed for about $100 but I can't imagine recording to cassette these days.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 3, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
tape drive motor perhaps. i dunno may be time to retire that and get with the modern age.

Thats was one of my first thoughts.
Sounds like it could be bearings going out.
I went through most of the Portastudio modals as they came out and still have my 424. You are correct that the 144 was the first Portastudio in 1979. It cost about $1,200.00 (US). I kept updating as they added better noise reduction. The great thing about the 424 was you can record four tracks at a time and it has four separate direct outputs, one for each track. It also had better noise reduction (DBX II) and they doubled the tape speed. Up until recently I used it to record my band live because I could get four sources on separate tracks, take it home and run it into four tracks of my Tascam 24 track digital and mix the four analog tracks. They sound really good and fat.

You might just take a chance and open it up and check the belts and motor if you are handy with that kind of thing. The belts can become twisted or the plastic wheels that they go around can get dirty and not turn smoothly. Since it's all mechanical problem you should be able to see what's going on when you get it open and most likely have a good shot at fixing something that may just need a dab of lubricant. I still have a lot of analog stuff (especially reel-to-reel) so I have recently been opening and cleaning my decks (heads, rubber rollers, belts, lubricate the motors etc.) I still have a Sony TC 4 track from the mid 1970's that still works (I don't use it, but it does still work.) I still love the analog machines. partly the sound itself mostly the nostalgia factor.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 4, 2015,
im just gonna retire it. The humming stopped but now I cant bounce tracks anymore, and all the pots are just completely f***ed. It lasted me about a year, which i guess is pretty good considering how old it is.. kind of a bummer, but oh well. Im gonna try getting a 488 next!
I had the rack version of the 488. It was good at first but trying to fit 8 tracks onto a cassette was doomed to failure. Seriously, why are you sticking with cassette? Buy an interface and use a pc.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification