I picked up my guitar last weekend for the first time in about 2 years and safe to say it was well ugly. Oh so very ugly. My hands were very much not well anywhere they needed to be. I was actually trying to play Rocksmith for the first time in a very similar time frame, and it was just atrocious.

I really want to get back into it and am regretting the long break. Any recommended exercises to build back up, or will playing along with the game help at all? I know I lost a lot of my hand written exercises and books as well as part of the past few years as well. I'm also looking into taking lessons again, but life has put me back at where I was taking lessons originally and I don't really want to do that.

Thank you and any help is appreciated.
Quote by Electric Devil
i've had this happen to me a couple of times.I find finger warmups and then playing scales helps my fingers get fluent again then usually it just comes back after abit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY

Nine minutes for a stretch? Will my fingers have abs by the end of the month? What a waste of time.

TC, just try to make those stretches on the fretboard yourself, without doing those tedious finger workouts. Eventually your fingers will just stretch on their own. Just give it time.
You might do a bit of research on classical exercises. I had about six months of classical lessons, and a fari proportion of it was spent on finger stretching exercises, but it is so long ago that I can't recall the details. Carcassi maybe?

FWIW, I think that non-guitar based exercises aren't a good way to go, but OTOH, just playing might lead to bad habits and lack of versatility - I know this applies to me. So I would take the middle-of-the road approach, and do some guitar based stretching exercises.
Just playing will get you back but take it easy at first.

Don't go crazy. Use common sense.
Quote by Electric Devil
i've had this happen to me a couple of times.I find finger warmups and then playing scales helps my fingers get fluent again then usually it just comes back after abit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY

I second this! I'd say to at least try it once and see how your fingers feel/play afterwords and then if you don't feel like it is helping then don't do it again. I use it every time before I play and it has helped me.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
I was able to remember one basic scale and some of the exercises I did a lot. They started to bring back some of the muscle memory and thankfully I always had a polyhedral die in my guitar bag. I used to use it for Scale practice moving along the neck per the die (I'm bad at choosing a starting spot so the roll is the initial fret). I'm hoping to print out some scales and other stuff in the next few days and hope to get back into it full on. Thank you for the help, it does feel good to play again.