hey guys,i was wondering what do alot of you guys use in terms of connecting your guitars to your pc.I recently bought an hd TV to use as a monitor for my computer and im running the display and audio both through hdmi (before i was plugging my guitar into the line in port with a 3.5mm cable) but now im not able to,i see the line is getting sound but it's not coming out the tv.
Would i need some sort of guitar to usb interface?
thanks
Last edited by Electric Devil at Mar 3, 2015,
It sounds like your issue is in your operating system sound settings. If I read this correctly, everything was working before you added the HDTV via HDMI and changed the audio and video output to the HDMI cable to the HDTV.

I don't see how using a USB interface for the guitar input will change this. Are you on a PC or Mac? What OS and version?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If you play your guitar through that without any amp sim you're not gonna get a guitar sound.

An audio interface will make the whole thing sound better but it's not essential.

Get an amp sim and route the audio to the HDMI output.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You need to read the stickies over in the Recordings forum.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i use a presonus audiobox usb. works great. try amplitube or the lepou sims.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by metalmingee
It sounds like your issue is in your operating system sound settings. If I read this correctly, everything was working before you added the HDTV via HDMI and changed the audio and video output to the HDMI cable to the HDTV.

I don't see how using a USB interface for the guitar input will change this. Are you on a PC or Mac? What OS and version?

im using a PC with windows 7 x64

Quote by Spambot_2
If you play your guitar through that without any amp sim you're not gonna get a guitar sound.

An audio interface will make the whole thing sound better but it's not essential.

Get an amp sim and route the audio to the HDMI output.

i am,im using guitar Rig 5 but now the audio is going through the tv theres no sound from the guitar
Last edited by Electric Devil at Mar 4, 2015,
iam not sure how to help you with your HDMI problem... if you have guitar signal reaching LINE IN on your PC but its not routed to HDMI out from your PC... id say its something to do with the software setup panel of your sound card... if you have something like REALTEK try to find its control panel (software) and there you must somehow virtually link LINE IN and HDMI OUT so the sound is outputed to HDMI cable... in the control panel software try to find something like live monitoring of LINE IN input through HDMI output... are you getting other sounds out of the HDMI... like youtube videos for example...

i have apple mac and i use Apogee DUET USB sound interface and i connect guitar directly into its INSTRUMENT input and than i run Overloud TH2 software simulator... sounds pretty good... when i run my macbook on battery i also have very clean sound without any buzz or hum (because there is no mains power attached)... i listen on Sennheiser HD650 headphones and its really great... in TH2 you can dial any tone you like with tons of effects, pedal sims, cabinet and amp sims etc. but you can also use similar software simulators like Guitar Rig, Amplitube, PodFarm, GTR, etc.
Last edited by r2v2 at Mar 4, 2015,