I'm sort of thinking about possibly maybe getting one of these DIY build kits. -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VP-7-String-Body-Style-DIY-Unfinished-Project-Luthier-Electric-Guitar-Kit/251778277944?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29381%26meid%3D70eefea46c04470bb5e2e8a746abcd08%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D111302621837&rt=nc

If I did I was wondering if it would it be possible to ditch the tone knob and throw in a selector switch? I know nothing about the wiring or if it'd need to be milled for the switch. If anyone knows info would be great.

And by the way befor you tell me this stuffs crap and to buy a real guitar, I do have a guitar, I just think this might be fun.

Oh and if i do go with this, what out of this stuff that comes with it do you think needs to be upgraded? or should I say what's actually usable?
you could put a switch in there, hole may be too big but put a washer on it. For the money it might be better getting a second hand viper and customising that. For the price shown I would say the black knobs are worth keeping...but you only need one of those. lol. Good luck with the project
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
I agree you'd be better off buying a used LTD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 4, 2015,
Yeah I agree. Used LTD Viper is a much better option.

And I generally dislike kits that attempt to outright copy other brands in their design. If I wanted a kit guitar, I'd buy something that doesn't look like a clone.

Building kits might seem like you're getting a lot for your money on the surface, but you're really not. All the hardware on cheap kits like this is always cheap, generic crap. And of course, cheap guitar kits use cheap guitar wood. The guitar might be fretted, but chances are, you'll need to level them, which is another hidden cost.

Not to mention that the materials needed to finish the guitar are expensive and finishing the guitar in a way that actually looks good is frustratingly difficult. Makes building the guitar a whole lot less fun.

Its a great learning experience, but you get what you pay for. Building guitars requires a lot of effort, and it takes just as much effort to build a cheap guitar as it does an expensive one (if both are to be finished to the same standard), so you may as well get a high-end collection of parts from places like Warmoth or Mighty Mite if the process of building is something you want.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 4, 2015,
Guys I think you are missing the point. He doesn't want or need to buy another guitar. he wants the experience of building one from scratch (almost scratch since all the pieces pre made). Why not? What better way to learn about guitars than starting from ground zero and building it yourself completely, working through the problems and finishing it. When I was much younger I use to buy electronic kits to build radios and other items (anyone remember Heathkit?) Yes I could have just gone to the store and bought a better radio but I wanted to build one. Same thing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 4, 2015,
My suggestion is that you NOT move things around (add selector switches, etc.) and simply concentrate on getting the thing together and getting it reasonably well finished. Because the likelihood is that you're going to end up with an unplayable...uh..."art piece" wall hanging, you do NOT want to worry over upgrades, etc. That's a trap with these things.

You've chosen an SG, which is likely to be neck-heavy and, since it's an LP scale anyway, will likely not sound that great on the 7th string. It's a bolt-neck, which means that your upper fret access will be hindered by a clunky neck heel. Moreover, take another look at how many of the frets on this kit will be buried in the body when the neck is actually mounted.

The same company has a left-handed set-neck SG kit. Look at how much different the positions of the last fret and the neck humbucker are compared to the bolt-neck you're looking at.
Quote by Rickholly74
Guys I think you are missing the point. He doesn't want or need to buy another guitar. he wants the experience of building one from scratch (almost scratch since all the pieces pre made). Why not? What better way to learn about guitars than starting from ground zero and building it yourself completely, working through the problems and finishing it. When I was much younger I use to buy electronic kits to build radios and other items (anyone remember Heathkit?) Yes I could have just gone to the store and bought a better radio but I wanted to build one. Same thing.

Well then I damn sure wouldn't waist my money on that POS kit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've built a couple of kit guitars from www.rmolsonguitars.com, and had a great time, as well as ended up with great guitars. You get what you pay for and starting with a cheap kit can't end well. Good luck.
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Mar 4, 2015,
Quote by Guitbuilder
I've built a couple of kit guitars from www.rmolsonguitars.com, and had a great time, and ended up with great guitars. You get what you pay for and starting with a cheap kit can't end well. Good luck.

No one is asking about those type of kits. They are a bit off of a 7 string SG shape don't you think?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rickholly74
Guys I think you are missing the point.

Nope.
Its a great learning experience, but you get what you pay for. Building guitars requires a lot of effort, and it takes just as much effort to build a cheap guitar as it does an expensive one (if both are to be finished to the same standard), so you may as well get a high-end collection of parts from places like Warmoth or Mighty Mite if the process of building is something you want.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee