Hi!

I'm looking for a new delay pedal, I'm currently running the boss DD-3, but I want to be able to sync the tempo from Cubase.

I'm looking at the TC Electronic Flashback X4.

It says in it manual that it should be possible to sync it with midi, and also select different patches.

I haven't used midi before, and I'm wondering if that would require two midi ports? One to sync the tempo, and one to tell the pedal when to switch patch?

Also, I guess that I can set markers in the cubase track when it should send a patch switching message? This would remove the need of pressing the pedal at all, which would be amazing.
this might be a silly question but if you want to work in a DAW, why don't you get a delay VST? Most of them allow you to synch with the BPM set in the DAW. Many are free and even the paid ones are cheap (cheaper than a pedal for sure)

Also another advantage is that you wouldn't be stuck with the delay on your recorded track if you later decide you don't want it.
Quote by flexiblemile
this might be a silly question but if you want to work in a DAW, why don't you get a delay VST? Most of them allow you to synch with the BPM set in the DAW. Many are free and even the paid ones are cheap (cheaper than a pedal for sure)

Also another advantage is that you wouldn't be stuck with the delay on your recorded track if you later decide you don't want it.

I just realized that I forgot to write that it is for live usage.

The cubase track is a click track for our drummer.
Oh ok, that makes more sense then. Wouldn’t it still be simpler to go with a pedal that has tap tempo? If it’s for live you’d want to avoid anything extra that might break or stop working and mess up your performance?
Quote by jespheer
I just realized that I forgot to write that it is for live usage.
If you're going to have to bring your computer there during gigs anyway why don't you simply get a midi controller like the behringer FCB1010 and you rely on whatever software fx processor you could load into cubase?

Or you could do as flexiblemile suggested and get a pedal that has tap tempo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks for your input!

Tap tempo would work, but the type of music we play requires me to move around alot, and there are several tempo changes in every song. I recently bought in ear monitors for more freedom, and want to continue in that way by spending less time at the pedal board.

However, the Flashback X4 has tap tempo aswell if it would be needed. But what i'm wondering is if I could do those things (switching presets and switching tempo) with just cubase and a soundcard with one midi out port.
I have been using midi live for almost more than 20 years now but I have never used a delay sync'd to a midi track or the BPM of the song. I don't have enough of an idea about what you are doing with midi now to give you any help but when you say that there will only be mid output port I wonder what are you using to create mid sounds now? Are you using internal sounds on your DAW or outboard sounds from your DAW to a sound module or keyboard? If so you may need a multiple midi box that turns one midi output into several. (See the link below as an example)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/midi-solutions-quadra-4-output-midi-thru-box
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
I have been using midi live for almost more than 20 years now but I have never used a delay sync'd to a midi track or the BPM of the song. I don't have enough of an idea about what you are doing with midi now to give you any help but when you say that there will only be mid output port I wonder what are you using to create mid sounds now? Are you using internal sounds on your DAW or outboard sounds from your DAW to a sound module or keyboard? If so you may need a multiple midi box that turns one midi output into several. (See the link below as an example)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/midi-solutions-quadra-4-output-midi-thru-box

Thanks for your answer
We arent using the midi port for anything at the moment.