Yes other musicians will be happy to learn your songs. You're actually in a really good position because you don't have to write any new ones when you find people to play with.

Bands don't take that much time. At the start you will be practicing it once or twice a week for 2 hour blocks each and you might have a gig every now and then too. There is a lot of time fred to still practice and work. It won't become full time until you hit the road full time, travelling and playing 200 shows a year. Although a lot of musicians would love to be in this position, usually it doesn't happen and the Band stays on the "local" stage.

If I were you Id record a bunch of the songs that you've written and upload them to soundcloud. Then make an ad directing people to the songs and asking if they want to make a band playing them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Mar 4, 2015,
Alan is spot on about the time it takes, most basnds exist on a weekly rehearsal or less once you are gigging regularly with extra rehearsals when learning a new set or a big gig is coming up.

His advice to start recording your stuff is really good too. It's your equivalent of a CV/Resume. Lots of musicians talk big and dream big so you need to show what you can do.

What you don't talk about is actually gigging and being in a band. If you haven't done this before then it's a whole different experience you need to get into. Everyone has a slightly different dream of what their music should be and the full range of human behaviours are on display in most bands. There's usually a lot of compromise in getting four or five people into a band and playing together. Not many musicians, or indeed people, are very good at just doing what they are told. Be prepared for them to have their own ideas.

Be clear as to what you want, but be flexible and think long term. there's nothing wrong with joining an existing band for a year or two to get gigging experience, especially if you are going through the whole thing of getting a job and moving home. Let someone else do the heavy lifting for a while. If you want people to do your songs then you need to make it worth their while, I'd join a band playing pretty much anything if someone else was doing all the bookings, arranging practices running the PA and taking all the hassle or if i thought I was going to work with a real talent but if I've got to arrange and organise everything myself I'm going to want to have a major say in what we play.

Good luck.
I've got to be honest. There's plenty of time in life to do anything you set your mind to. I truly believe that. If you've got the drive to do something then you have it in your power to do so.

Now for the less hyperbole filled version (baring in mind I'm not trying to bash anyone in particular here. You in general, not you specifically):

I hear lots of people say they don't have time for x, y or z. Frankly that's a load of bollocks, even if you're working a 40 hour week. Do you sleep longer than you probably should? Do you spend what time you do have reading or watching television? I could go on but if the answer to any of that is yes then you have time to be in a band.

Sure it may take some sacrifice, and creative time scheduling, but it's possible. Not easy. Just possible.

I work 9-5 weekdays and my drummer is a chef working shifts with very few free days. We're lucky if we get one night a week. Finding a long week to record is a chore. Nevertheless, at our stage that's enough. We practice regularly. We have fun doing it. We've got an ep coming out.

S'all good.

Of course: you're in a great position to start off with. You have the gear (or will), you have the space (or will), you have the material ready. I've come to realise something over the past two years of searching for a band. If you have a bunch of recorded demos ready to whack out at a moments notice then people are going to take you so much more seriously.

If I started another band, I would do so only when I got a demo recorded (if not studio professional then bed room studio professional). Having a way of showing potential band mates what you're about and what you want to achieve is pretty vital to jumping that first hurdle.