I'm under the impression two the amps I own (Peavey Vypyr head and a small Orange Micro Terror) are "hybrid" amps in that they have a tube preamp and a solid state poweramp. Is it worth boosting these amps with a tubescreamer style pedal or would the result just be harsh? Thanks.
i don't think the vypyr is hybrid. unless you have the vypyr tube. and i think it has a tube poweramp, not preamp.

regarding the other question, it just depends. if you have a ts-style pedal lying around, it's worth a try. if you don't, i'd want to try first (in a shop, say) before spending any money, in case it doesn't work as well as you need it to.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, the vypyr is SS, the Vypyr tube is a SS pre and tube power section
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't know anything about the Orange, but I've played a couple of Peavey amps that are solid state preamp and tube power amp, still have the MX, they handle pedals pretty well. I've used several with the MX, including Arion Analog Delay (both in line and through effects loop), Marshall Bluesbreaker, Ibanez SD9 distortion, and Dan Electro Rocky Road modified to make t work right.

The only effect that ever gave me any trouble was a 10 band EQ, and that was just a matter of getting the output level tweaked so it wouldn't clip.

Other hybrid amps with just a preamp tube, I've heard that type doesn't like pedals sometimes but haven't tried them myself.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
they are case by case to a certain extent. i have a '70 something musicman hybrid amp, and it takes OD' like a champ (SS pre, tube power). but i have tried others that didn't. give it a shot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
they are case by case to a certain extent. i have a '70 something musicman hybrid amp, and it takes OD' like a champ (SS pre, tube power). but i have tried others that didn't. give it a shot.

^^^ Yep. They don't all take pedals well but some do. I suspect the Micro Terror does and Vypyr doesn't but only one way to find out... try it. My Super Champ takes pedals well on the clean channel but not the voice (DSP) channel.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 4, 2015,
My vypyr 120 has a tone boost and lexicon verb in front of the amp, they work fine. The the lexicon is there because you cant turn reverb on/off with sanpera when in manual mode. The boost works great woth clean sounds when you want to be louder than the drummer. Don't see why a drive wouldn't work. I can't try it with my screamer for you though as my vypyr rig is in the rehearsal room and not at home. Try it, you just might like it.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.