I've recently picked up a few guitar students for mobile tutoring. At home I've got a HRD and a Jim Root Terror half stack - both are pretty unweildy if I 'm transporting them to each lesson.

So I was thinking of picking up a cheap modeller (Roland Cube/Mustang etc) to take with me.

Any suggestions on which sound the best? I haven't heard half of the modellers on the market since it's so saturated now.

Only looking to spend maybe 150 tops. Willing to go used but the market in SA is slow as fuark
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Peavey Vypyr of some sort. A tube one would be great if you can stretch it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I could be in error, but my understanding is that inexpensive modeling amps don't handle pedals well.

So, even though I'm not a teacher, I'd go for a small, clean tube amp and an inexpensive MFX unit or portable digital modeler (like a Korg Pandora or Line6 POD). That way, if a student asks you about a pedal, you can demo either the effect in general or the actual pedal (if you have access to it).

(FWIW, my guitar teacher used a HRD, but he had a room in the store where he taught, and didn't have to lug it around all the time.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 4, 2015,
As a tube amp guy, I love my Mustang V Head. I imagine the smaller ones would be near ideal for teaching. They do everything well but few things great, but you WILL be able to get almost any tonality you'd want (from some actually superb cleans to some decent metal distortions).

I've also heard good things about the Peavy Vyprs with tubes in them.
Roland Cube or Fender VibroChamp are popular grab-n-go amps that sound pretty sweet. It does depend on what you are teaching but they both have been a staple among guitar teachers for a long time. No reason to drag around a bunch of pedals with these either.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Microcube should be a good choice. They're extremely light and provide quality tones, both clean and distorted.
If you are talking mobile, I would hesitate getting a tube amp. Only because they don't travel all to well.

Hook a Behringer V-Amp up to a speaker or headphones? Just a suggestion.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
what genres are your students wanting to learn?

when i teach, i just bring an MG15 i got free. its not a big deal, they new. i suggest they get either a vypyr or valvetonix, depending if they are metal oriented or blues oriented.

if they come to my studio, we will each be on my sig:X or mkiv. most of my students come over.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well yeah, if I was teaching at home I'd just let em use one of my amps.

Most of my students are into metal but I have the odd one that loves cleaner stuff/indie stuff

That's why I wanted a modeller so I didn't have to worry about settings/getting specific tones from specific amps
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
So I went to try a few modelling amps today.

Vox VT20+ :

SO MANY EFFECTS. Ridiculous amount. Some were pretty fun to mess around with (auto-wah/filters/octave etc) but the base tones from the preamp were pretty poor. Extremely dark and muddy. Pass.

Fender Mustang 1:

Awful. I was looking forward to trying this one from rave reviews online but in person it just sounded boxy and the lack of mid control just killed it for me.

Blackstar IDcore 20:

This one was my pick. It has a tone blend pot like on an orange Tiny Terror which allows you to get really dry middy tones through to scooped yuck. THe tones were a lot fuller and the stereo speaker set up made it sound a lot bigger than it was.

It's a bit out of my price range ($220 best price) but if I keep picking up students I reckon I'll bag on this one.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by halfstacked
If you are talking mobile, I would hesitate getting a tube amp. Only because they don't travel all to well.

Hook a Behringer V-Amp up to a speaker or headphones? Just a suggestion.

I have the rack based V Amp Pro and it is pretty good. A lot of different styles, effects, amp/cab combination simulations.

It lacks the feel of a valve amp and can be a pain if you want to change any of the effects outside of the pre-sets (unless you plug it into a PC) But the major controls are all there at your fingertips.

They did a V Amp combo when the Pro was being produced. I don't know if this is still the case.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.