Hey guys, after a bit of advice. I currently play with an Encore guitar my wife bought me, and I thought it was ok. Only been at it a couple of months, so just been working on transitions between C, G, Em and D in various Combos, and learning songs based on this.
Now I've thrown in A, Am and working hard, (but slowly) on F.
Anyway, I work offshore on a ship, and onboard we have an Ibanez PF, and what a difference in sound quality to my guitar, which has essentially sent me on the new guitar hunt.
However having read the guide in the sticky I am kind of off Ibanez as they seem overpriced to many on here.
With a bit of research I am kind of wondering about these 2, the Farida D-10N Acoustic Guitar - Natural or the Epiphone AJ-220SCE Electro Acoustic Guitar - Vintage Sunburst.
Now the thing I'm wondering, I am only playing for my own enjoyment, and to have a jam with my mates, won't ever be anywhere near a stage etc, so am I correct in thinking go for the more expensive Pure Acoustic so to speak, as I really don't feel I need the Electro bit, (I don't really understand how it works either) haha.
Any advice from folks with either of these much appreciated.
You don't hear much about "Farida", in these parts. In fact, I've never actually heard of them, at least I don't think I have. That's not a call on quality, I have not a clue about their sound, playability, or price.

I will say they're obviously much less advertised or distributed than Epiphone. Which in turn means, there's very little price pressure on the line. Which amounts to saying, you can get more guitar for your dollar by buying the Epiphone.

The newest Epiphones are made in Indonesia, ostensibly by the Sammick Corp., which is a huge OEM manufacturer of musical instruments. QC is excellent. Not absolute, but far in excess of what you'd expect at that price point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samick#Guitar_manufacturing_and_OEM_supply

In any event, the AJ-220E is very well thought of at Gibson's own Epiphone forum. Personally, I haven't played one, they don't make a left handed model. I do have two of the new EJ-200-SCE, and for the money, they're great.

In has been my observation and personal experience that it isn't really a good idea to buy a pure acoustic guitar. And certainly not at the price range we're talking here.

Ignore that fact you've just begun playing, and continue to ignore players who tell you "I want to choose the pickup in my $5000.00 custom guitar, and not have it installed by the maker". Anywhere near the price range we're talking , a factory installed under saddle piezo is what you're getting. After which, you can ignore all the people you hear whine about "piezo quack". Most of them are deaf from playing electric too close to the amp, and the rest have the treble boosted way too high on the preamp, and are almost deaf from.....!

In any event, if I were you, I'd buy the Epi, and play the crap out of it until I could put the onboard electronics to work for me. Ambiance type effects, reverb, delay, chorus, flanging, and even a phase shifter can enhance acoustic guitar greatly. You just can't stuff a "Tube Screamer" in the signal chain, you'd be thought of as a barbarian. Or perhaps even become one.

The AJ-200 is likely as good a beginner's guitar as any. It has a solid top (AFAIK). A little bit of diddling with electronics can make the average guitar, punch above its weight class, and it would be easier to sell if you outgrow it.

I'd suggest taking luck of the draw and ordering it online. No sales tax, free shipping, and fresh in the box are compelling arguments for doing so.
Cheers for the advice man. The world of Guitar shopping is so complex, when it comes to camera shopping I know what I'm doing, here I'm lost.
I do love the look of the Epiphone, and the vast majority of reviews are very positive.
I think Farida are maybe more of a brand here iN Europe (I live in Northern Scotland), I'm not sure?
Before this reply came in I ended up stumbling onto Washburn as well, they appear to be a fairly decent make also.

I'm terrible at decision making.
Just my opinion, but it may be worth changing the strings if you haven't already. Some good strings can bring a pretty bland guitar back to life. My Fender Malibu is a fairly weak sounding guitar as it has a small body, but some decent strings gave it new life.

I will be upgrading though, when I'm satisfied with my level of playing. It's what keeps me motivated.

That said, Encore's are pretty naff, so if it sounds really bad then by all means.
Aye strings have been changed, and one of my mates lowered the action for me as well, he reckoned it was insanely high, but i just sounds tinny compared to what I'm playing on board now. Damn guitars, I woulda been fine in my ignorance it it wasn't for this.
That's what I think is actually bad for beginners. Cheap guitars are actually more difficult to play with their insanely high action. Would put any beginner off playing.
^^^^^ A lot of expensive guitars also come with a high action. Much depends on the shop's attitude to doing setups on their guitars before sale. IMO, it is a good idea to budget for a set up on any guitar purchase, and not to put too much weight on the feel of the guitar as you find it. - It happened to me a few days ago when I went to my mate's shop and pulled down a Cole Clark. It felt awful, but all that had happened was that the neck relief had relaxed in the damp weather. One of the guys gave it a quick tweak and it felt fine.
Yeah I need to get my guitar professionally setup. I'd imagine most shops aren't too fussed with setting up the cheap beginner guitars, so maybe that's part of the problem. I'm just speculating though.
Quote by gweddle.nz
Yeah I need to get my guitar professionally setup. I'd imagine most shops aren't too fussed with setting up the cheap beginner guitars, so maybe that's part of the problem. I'm just speculating though.

I think you're right, the expensive ones get more attention than the cheap ones.
Quote by gweddle.nz
Mr. gweddle, you're hijacking this thread which is also an issue.

Part of the issue with low price guitars is uneven fretwork. Generally speaking, this causes a problem when lowering the action, as you're apt to get buzzes and dead frets at odd places.

Another issue with low end all laminate guitars is they sound like cardboard. A little too high action actually builds muscle and callous. A setup isn't going to help tone.

So, having a very low end guitar set up by a pro, is in some ways, throwing good money after bad.

Well that and, "you have to suffer to play the blues".

In other words, when you reach the realization that your first guitar is crap, it's usually time to either move on to something better, or quit. If another guitar isn't an option ATM, then learn to accept the limitations of what you have.

The rationale there is, if you can't afford another guitar, you likely won't be able to afford a pro's price to do a prefect setup either
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 9, 2015,
Says I'm hijacking a thread and continues the conversation?

Living up to your name cranky? I agree with your response btw.
^^^^ And therein lies the problem/paradox. Inexpensive beginner guitars are better suited to more experienced folks who know how to set them up without having to pay an arm and a leg to a tech. Still, I think most guitar these days are good enough that a basic not-very-expensive set up will turn them into decent players. And, IMO, this is much more important than how the thing sounds. IOW, I reckon a $150 guitar + $50 set up is a better bet than a $200 guitar with no set up.
Quote by gweddle.nz
...[ ]....Living up to your name cranky? I agree with your response btw.
Hardly, that was just my little way of inviting you to start your own topic.. In which of course, I'd be happy to participate .
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 10, 2015,