I have a Fender Super Reverb Reissue that I've been putzing with for over a year. The SRR's have very bright highs and very boomy bass. Both need to be set low relative to the midtones, at least for my playing.

There's a sound I've always liked, a slightly distorted common three-chord progression with the open A string, and E F# and G on the D string. The best example I could find is Stevie Ray Vaughan playing "Look At Little Sister" at the 24 second mark on this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWaZVchd6k

I took the .1u bass capacitor out of the tone stack and replaced it with a .022u. I thought that would reduce the bass a lot, but it only did a little.

Before I go messing with more capacitors, is there anything I'm missing in terms of getting that almost bass-less sound?

Thanks for any replies.
Naw man not sure what you are going for. I am a big fan of SRV and cover a lot of his stuff. I even use a Blackface Super Reverb sometimes. A TS9 tends to compress, tighten, and roll off the bottom a bit. Maybe that is your magic pill. He also played really loud and the recording mics may have rolled off the bass as well.

For me, channelling Stevie simply means playing with ferocity as if every night is your last.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's not just a tone I've heard from SRV. I've been hearing it since the 60's, when distortion on guitars became popular. Heard it on albums, not just on live recordings. I can't describe it, but only can point to that chord progression in the video as an example.
Have you tried putting an eq pedal up front? That might help you tame the bass and highs and boost the mids, though this would be better in an FX loop, (unless the reissue has a loop, then put it in there). As has already been suggested, from the video it sounds to me like a tubescreamer might help you out.

In terms of the cap change, I'm nowhere near an expert on tone stacks but I suspect changing a single cap won't make that much difference towards what you're after because of interaction between the filtering of lows and mids in the tone stack as well as the particular way in which the bass filtering works (off the top of my head it's more like changing the frequencies under the low hump than adjusting levels/blend).

Maybe look into trying some more mid-voiced speakers? Though they're way more expensive than caps that'd probably get recommended first.
Just out of curiousity, have you used the amp in multiple environments (i.e. Other peoples houses, outdoors, jam rooms, bars, whatever)? Is it boomy no matter where you use it? Im wondering if your room that you have the amp in has something to do with it
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Monkeyleg
ìI took the .1u bass capacitor out of the tone stack and replaced it with a .022u. I thought that would reduce the bass a lot, but it only did a little.
Congrats, you have offset the bass control frequency.
Possibly also other frequencies depending on what kinda tone stack your amp has.
Also you haven't reduced the cap value much.

What amp do you own, what guitar do you own, what pedals do you own... ?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Watterboy
Just out of curiousity, have you used the amp in multiple environments (i.e. Other peoples houses, outdoors, jam rooms, bars, whatever)? Is it boomy no matter where you use it? Im wondering if your room that you have the amp in has something to do with it

Good point. You have both acoustic and mechanical coupling to consider, plus the fact that when played loud, the bass performance of that amp tends to go away considerably. Move it away from walls and corners, put it on a foam pad or thick packing blanket, etc.
Quote by Spambot_2
Congrats, you have offset the bass control frequency.
Possibly also other frequencies depending on what kinda tone stack your amp has.
Also you haven't reduced the cap value much.

What amp do you own, what guitar do you own, what pedals do you own... ?

This is, and was, a common modification to the Super Reverbs. Honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference. If I didn't like the sound, switching back to the stock capacitor would be no big deal. It's not like doing an organ transplant on a human.

It may be that the Super Reverb isn't the amp to use to get this sound. I could try my Peavey.

I haven't tried the amp in other environments, but the room where I use it is very large.
Quote by Monkeyleg

I haven't tried the amp in other environments, but the room where I use it is very large.

Maybe you're building some standing waves?
tubescreamer
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am using a Tubescreamer. There's enough distortion, but still too much bass. I'll have to wait until my other Strat comes back from the shop and see what that will do.