I've got a new guitar, and now I want a new amp to go with it. I'm really into post-rock, and I love the crisp clean tone that Explosions in the Sky got on their album The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place. I know they play Telecasters through big blackface Fender amps. I've got the Tele situation handled already, but $300 isn't going to get me a Fender Twin no matter how long and hard I look. Even if it could, it's too big, too loud, and too heavy for an apartment. So I need a practice amp. Something I can smack with a half dozen pedals. Later this year I'm going to build a pedal board, so all I need now is a good platform for that.

Right now I'm really interested in the Yamaha THR10. It's right within my budget, super compact, versatile, and sounds amazing. But if there's something else for about $300 that sounds more like a baby Fender Twin then I'm all over it. I'm also not sure how well it takes pedals. I'm also going to buy a looper right around the same time I get my amp, so I can't be going too much over $300. Fender Super Champ X2 is on my short list, but it's really pushing how much I'm willing to spend.

Budget: $300ish
New or Used: Prefer new, can go used
Genre(s): Post-rock
Environment: Home
Closest City: Austin, TX
Current Gear: Standard Telecaster, Digidelay, Behringer reverb

Thanks for reading
Last edited by Helicopters! at Mar 5, 2015,
Find a used Super Champ XD. I got mine for $200. If you are chasing BF tone, the clean chnl will not disappoint.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Line 6 Flextone II or III
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i've got a THR10C and i love it. good array of clean to crunch tones and the the mini z model great for a bit of gain. responds really nicely to control via the volume knob.
Blackheart BH15, or BH5 if you can't find the BH15 for that money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Carvin Vintage 16 is one of the best amps they've ever produced. The small cabinet size can make it just a tad "boxy" (I've run it with an open back 4x10 and turned off the internal 12" and it positively sings), but that's considered next to a full-size amp in a gig setting. In a bedroom it's positively expansive and makes the Yamaha sound like a ham radio.

Another "bedroom" amp that's really taking off around here is that Line 6 Amplifi. I prefer the big one, but the little 75 looks good, sounds good. And, too, it's a decent sound system for your computer, for your phone/iPod (hooks up with Bluetooth), your TV, etc.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
used peavey classic 30.

this or a used Peavey Valveking. the VK is 50 watts so has higher headroom that the Classic 30. either way both would do the trick and give you the option of playing in a band latter.
Quote by monwobobbo
this or a used Peavey Valveking. the VK is 50 watts so has higher headroom that the Classic 30. either way both would do the trick and give you the option of playing in a band latter.

The ValveKing is a good call. The clean channel is very good and it is supposed to take pedals very well. Used for the 112 combo is under the $300 budget.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
The ValveKing is a good call. The clean channel is very good and it is supposed to take pedals very well. Used for the 112 combo is under the $300 budget.

i use one for practice all the time and it does take pedals very well. some prefer the clean channel on the VK to the Classic 30.
I actually used to own a ValveKing. I loved it, but it's too big for me right now. I'm going to look for a Super Champ X2.
Champ
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you push your budget a bit, you could probably get a Fender Blues Junior or Fender HRD.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
You could get a new Bugera V22 for slightly more than $300 USD if you stretch the budget. They sound nice, my friend has one and I like it. It gets reasonably loud too, but can also do low volumes.

If you go used you have other options as well. Fender Hot Rod, Peavey Classic maybe?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Line 6 Flextone II or III

i am not hating on Line 6, but i was never impressed with the flextones. my friend had one for a while, i tweaked it and messed around with it for him, but i never did like it. he got used to coming over, and he really didn't like it after playing better amps, and ended up ditching it for a classic 30. i just never understood the praise it gets.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Valveking has amazing clean channel and the distortion channel is not half bad (with gain boost disengaged and overdrive pedal in front). Plus its cheap as chips in used market. Take a note though, the stock VK speaker in combo is garbage and you may want to replace it at some point.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not hating on Line 6, but i was never impressed with the flextones. my friend had one for a while, i tweaked it and messed around with it for him, but i never did like it. he got used to coming over, and he really didn't like it after playing better amps, and ended up ditching it for a classic 30. i just never understood the praise it gets.

The Flextone II/II are decent amps, but the main reason I suggested it was they are <$200 used and have a good clean, decent distortions, decent FX and is fully gig able
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by trashedlostfdup

They are dirt cheap and do a lot of things well, not saying they are actually great at anything but let's face it not many amps can do a bar cover gig with zero pedals and cost less then your average boutique fuzz. It has a nice little niche in the world of amps and pedals. 300 bucks post rock grab a ampeg combo with tubes and you should do fine.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
you can think about the Roland micro cube GX, it's a great amp, espacially for the heavier music.
Quote by metalholic2000
you can think about the Roland micro cube GX, it's a great amp, espacially for the heavier music.

Nah. This.

Last edited by dspellman at Mar 6, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Nah. This.

1. Over budget

2. Have you used one? I've a friend who was looking at a 75 simply to be used as a large Bluetooth speaker, but I'm curious as to your thoughts if you've actually played with one a bit.

Also, if you have a minute, could you take a look at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33288736&postcount=27

and give me your thoughts here or elsewhere, since that thread was a necro and got closed.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 6, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
1. Over budget

2. Have you used one? I've a friend who was looking at a 75 simply to be used as a large Bluetooth speaker, but I'm curious as to your thoughts if you've actually played with one a bit.

Also, if you have a minute, could you take a look at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33288736&postcount=27

and give me your thoughts here or elsewhere, since that thread was a necro and got closed.

1. Yup, it's over budget.
2. I've used one (but, honestly, briefly). Played the 150W version more. I see these not just as guitar amps, but also as space-saving bluetooth capable speakers for TV, computer, iPhone, keyboards, etc., in an apartment situation. Sort of a single audio source for a man cave? My den alone has a pair of 8" powered recording monitors, a guitar amp (okay, there are about half a dozen...), one of those bars plus subwoofer plus some small speakers for the TV and a small Bose setup for the computer (before I got the monitors).

3. Will do.
Quote by dspellman
1. Yup, it's over budget.
2. I've used one (but, honestly, briefly). Played the 150W version more. I see these not just as guitar amps, but also as space-saving bluetooth capable speakers for TV, computer, iPhone, keyboards, etc., in an apartment situation. Sort of a single audio source for a man cave? My den alone has a pair of 8" powered recording monitors, a guitar amp (okay, there are about half a dozen...), one of those bars plus subwoofer plus some small speakers for the TV and a small Bose setup for the computer (before I got the monitors).

3. Will do.

It is a POD XT with a Power engine cab pre bundled, so it is mediocre as far as modeling goes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is a POD XT with a Power engine cab pre bundled, so it is mediocre as far as modeling goes

I trust you, but how did you find that out?

That seems like some pretty weak sauce!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by dspellman
Nah. This.

What is that?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is that?

new amp from Line 6. you can use a smart phone as a remote with blue tooth. you can also use other sound sources with it as well.
Quote by Arby911

I dont remember where the source was either but its true. I think it was in one of the line6 videos when the amp was revealed. It was dissapointing news. Pod HD, which has excellent modeling, was already old at that point so why not build that into it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
And I thought the OP was asking about bedroom amps. It seems any thread which has amp in it is taken as a soap box for people to justify their personal choice in amps for every occasion.

Guitar amp = valves

Valve bedroom amp = 5 watt maximum or you need to buy an attenuator which will cost £150+. Valve amps need to be cooking to sound good and high power valve amps don't have sufficient control on their volume to play quietly. No control up to 2 and then dull sounding until a step where it suddenly gets louder (too loud for a bedroom).

Even 5 watts may be too loud for bedroom work but there a good number 5W all valve to choose from.

I'm very much in to 5 watt valve amps at the moment, I have 4.

I wouldn't exclude a head and cab solution as you can then place the amp convent for operation and the cab where acousticly advantageous.

Vox Lil night train.
Mooer Little Monster micro amps
Bugera V5 Infinium (better speaker than the V5) Headphone out and 0.1, 1, 5 watt attenuator built in. The attenuator does rob some of the tone so I tend to run mine on 5 but this isn't an issue with cleans. For the money I'm really pleased with this amp.
Laney Cub 8
Subzero - copies Fender circuitry, cheap but might need opening up to address loose fixings. But, hell, it costs less than a mid range pedal.
Fender Champion 600 - my personal favorite but only available 2nd hand now, or the Gretsch equivalent which can be had new.
Blackstar do a 5W but Blackstar doesnt do convincing cleans.
Marshall do a 5W valve but will be too expensive and aren't renowned for cleans.

Of the above I only own the Bugera and Fender.
Quote by John Sims
And I thought the OP was asking about bedroom amps. It seems any thread which has amp in it is taken as a soap box for people to justify their personal choice in amps for every occasion.

Guitar amp = valves

Valve bedroom amp = 5 watt maximum or you need to buy an attenuator which will cost £150+. Valve amps need to be cooking to sound good and high power valve amps don't have sufficient control on their volume to play quietly. No control up to 2 and then dull sounding until a step where it suddenly gets louder (too loud for a bedroom).

Even 5 watts may be too loud for bedroom work but there a good number 5W all valve to choose from.

Dang, that is a lot of wrong statements all in one place.

Look, your experiences are your own and nobody can take that away from you, but to say that other people are soapboxing and then turn around and making up some BS about what a bedroom amp is (despite tons of people successfully using all sorts of stuff) is just silly.

Guitar amps don't have to have tubes. Bedroom amps don't have a "maximum" wattage and if they did it certainly wouldn't be 5 watts. You don't need an attenuator for everything over 5 watts, even at low volumes. Tube amps sound best at high volumes but most of them sound good at low volume settings. Some amps have the volume jump but a lot don't; a quick replacement of the MV pot or any number of other tweaks can usually fix the problem (it's not a "tube amp problem" anyway, just a volume pot problem). "Too loud for a bedroom" is arbitrary. Your personal preferences don't constitute rules that the rest of the world has to follow.

Tons of people on this site use 50, 60, 100, 120 watt amps as bedroom amps with no problems. I don't understand why you're suddenly the arbiter of what's acceptable for bedroom use. On top of that, personal choice is the entire point of this forum. If you think that's something worth complaining about, maybe the internet isn't the right place for you.
Quote by John Sims

Guitar amp = valves

I'm very much in to 5 watt valve amps at the moment, I have 4.

I wouldn't exclude a head and cab solution as you can then place the amp convent for operation and the cab where acousticly advantageous.

Vox Lil night train.
Mooer Little Monster micro amps
Bugera V5 Infinium (better speaker than the V5) Headphone out and 0.1, 1, 5 watt attenuator built in. The attenuator does rob some of the tone so I tend to run mine on 5 but this isn't an issue with cleans. For the money I'm really pleased with this amp.
Laney Cub 8
Subzero - copies Fender circuitry, cheap but might need opening up to address loose fixings. But, hell, it costs less than a mid range pedal.
Fender Champion 600 - my personal favorite but only available 2nd hand now, or the Gretsch equivalent which can be had new.
Blackstar do a 5W but Blackstar doesnt do convincing cleans.
Marshall do a 5W valve but will be too expensive and aren't renowned for cleans.

Of the above I only own the Bugera and Fender.

This is wrong on so many levels it's not funny. But I love how you tried to explain all of your wrong points.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 7, 2015,
Quote by Arby911

It was a L6 video. They were talking about the interface and models are based on the POD XT, but there are a few added features like the Bluetooth.

I like my POD XT, but basically what they did was repackage the Flextone and added some features
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My 50 watt amp sounds best with the volume under 2. I hate power amp distortion, especially on 6L6's
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay