So here's the thing. I've found a great deal on an Ibanez PGM-401, it's selling for half the list price, brand new. Since I am looking for an Ibanez RG (or S) with a fixed bridge, it seems like a quite good match. Aesthetically, it looks fantastic. However I have some concerns...

This specific PGM model differs quite a bit from others. It is a bit more "vintage" style than other PGMs. The body is made of ash, as opposed to basswood. It also has low output pickups of the model DiMarzio Air Classic, which are kind of an updated version of the DiMarzio PAFs.

Link: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/PGM401

I am a bit concerned, since this is not what I am used to. I mainly play hard rock and metal nowadays (mostly struggling with some Dream Theater songs). I like to shred, and one could say I worship the guitar tone of John Petrucci (Images & Words era is the best one IMO). Basically I'm wondering if the ash body and the vintage style pickups will be a big departure from what I've previously had? And are they suitable for playing metal?

At the moment I don't own an amplifier, since it's not really suitable for my apartment, so I just play through NI Guitar Rig. However, if I were to purchase say a tube amp in the future, I would like this guitar to satisfy my tonal needs.

This guitar is sold at a great price, and it is ALMOST what I am looking for. Will the ash body and vintage pickups make a huge difference, or will it be similar to other PGMs/RGs/Ss?

Also, if I were to for example change the pickups to DiMarzio Evos and maybe an Air Norton, would that be a good match with the ash body?
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Last edited by Joey Radical at Mar 5, 2015,
You should be fine. The pickups arn't very suitable, but with some dimarzios you should be fine. I suggest you check out John Petruccis new Illuminators. I'm not sure what he used for Images and Words, but if I was forced to guess, I'd say tone zone + air norton, that was a favourite of his around then. Dont get dimarzio evos, those are miles away from Johns tone. As for the wood, dont worry. At Dream Theater level of gain, wood matters less. For classic, kinda organic stuff like Guns 'n Roses, AC/DC, Mr. Big, etc, you really have to have the right setup, but for metal like Dream Theater you cant go wrong with Ibanez+Dimarzio. The higher the gain goes, the more different guitars sound the same. Just make sure it can handle that gain, which is what Dimarzios are great for.
ash shouldn't matter

pickups might, but if it's a good enough deal you'll still be well ahead. and they might be ok.

EDIT: I haven't tried that specific model, just to clarify. i've only tried the one with the paf pros and basswood. i think i tried air classics in a vigier shawn lane and didn't much like them but
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought it! It will arrive next week hopefully. I'll post an update here once it arrives. I'm thinking I might change the pickups but this should be no issue as I am an electrical engineer. However I am having some trouble finding nickel covered versions of the pickups I want to purchase (Air Norton and tonezone/steve's special) Anyone have any tips of some sites that sell these? I live in Sweden. Worst case scenario I'll just get one on eBay.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
^ sweet

i wouldn't worry too much about the pickups until you get it, just in case you like them just fine.

but yeah finding nickel versions might be awkward. you might just have to order them from a dimarzio dealer and wait. or go on ebay, as you said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow... just wow!

This guitar is just fantastic. After almost 10 years of playing, I've never been so impressed with a guitar before, and I have previously owned several other high-end guitars (Music Man JP6, Music Man Axis, Music Man Steve Morse, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender American Deluxe strat, the list goes on). But this guitar impresses me like no other. The neck is so smooth... and fast! I have never been able to play as fast as I can on this guitar. Notes sustain for like eternity! It also keeps very good tune! And looks fabulous

When I tried it with my usual Guitar Rig patch, it sounded terrible, so I got quite worried at first. Thus, I decided to start from scratch and create a new patch, and I actually got it to sound pretty close to Paul's sound on the Fuzz Universe CD (which surprised me a bit, as he uses a fireman on that CD, right? Even if it is kind of a departure from my old sound, I'm gonna stick with this pups for a while and see if I like them in the long run. Otherwise I'm probably going to put in a DiMarzio Liquifire and some good matching bridge pickup as well.

So this was obviously a great buy! I got it factory new for $1150 (list price here in Sweden is about $2300, yeah guitars are pricey here, we have sick taxes)

I ****ing love Ibanez.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
^ Nice Glad you like it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?