as title suggests, are they all the same? only difference being where they are wired to?
The ground wire on many pickups is a braided outer sleeve. And of course all the wires are colour-coded to correspond to what they're doing. But the gauge itself should be the same throughout the guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The ground wire on many pickups is a braided outer sleeve. And of course all the wires are colour-coded to correspond to what they're doing. But the gauge itself should be the same throughout the guitar.

if only all the pickup manufacturers used the same color code, life would be much easier...
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Also, different gauges of wire make no significant impact on your tone. Any wire you use is probably something like .01 ohms of impedance at most, (I'm overestimating) and at that level all sorts of other impedances make a much bigger difference. Unless you mean the wires your pickups are wound with- that stuff is really thin and has quite high impedance per foot/meter as far as wires go.

As long as the wire is easy to solder and doesn't break when you bend it, it's all good.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Not in my guitar that I just modded... all the wires I used were red

But, yeah, the gauge should be the same throughout the guitar.
yeah all wires are the same. There is some pros and cons to them of course over analyzing it. There is thicker gauge wire we can use as well but usually I just use 24AWG.

there is single conductor. Goes from point A to B you can have :
metal braided wires like gibson pickups - these cancel a bit of hum (expensive)
cloth wire as they call it - used on vintage guitars
regular plastic feeling wire - cheap and the outer layer burns easy with an iron

then to make life easier ..
double conductor for say input jacks or volume/tone.
3+ conductor wires - used in pickups a lot

thankfully it's not a million dollar investment to try out what we like. I like using colors so the cheap "guitar wire" off of ebay I tend to use. It's not a headache to get more than one color without paying an arm and a leg. If I was getting paid lots of money on a higher end project it's a totally different story. I hate using cloth wire though. Sold some alnico pro II single coils and the stripped ends just look sloppy.
Do they do the same thing? Yes
Are they all the same shape, size, color, ect? No
As a sidenote, coming from an electrician by trade, and a person with common sense, those audiophiles that pay $300/ft of silver wire to plug into an outlet that is wired with normal copper, that feeds to a panel, that connects to electrical company aluminum outside...yeah, something is clearly wrong with them.

Anyway, guitar wiring - it doesnt actually carry any current where the size of the wire would matter. Remember, neatness is key in your own pride of your work, and if it actually functions or not.

It's all just copper covered in a different kind of jacket. All the wires carry signal from the pickups in one way or another, minus the ground, which should be soldered to your bridge.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...